You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kevin D

When did you think we had won the title  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Well

• City at home(3-1) there were one, even two decisions that went our away - Nov 9
    • Palace away - Nov 22
    • Everton at home - December 4th
    • Leicester away- December 26th
    • Manchester United at home - January 19th
    • Norwich away - February 15th
    • Palace at home - June 24th
    • None - I still think this is an elaborate ruse
    • Other(please state)

7 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Villa away. A complete refusal to not walk away with the three points. It was all a countdown after that. 

Yep. 

On 87 minutes, we’re losing & Citeh are winning bringing the gap to 4 points. If Citeh win at Anfield the following week it’s down to 1 point.

We dig it out at Villa and keep the lead at 7 points, extended to 10 the following week. 

That’s the moment I think I knew anyway. I think the masses felt it when we beat the mancs at Old Trafford and the whole ground is singing “We’re gonna win the league” at the end of the game. 

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Villa away. A complete refusal to not walk away with the three points. It was all a countdown after that. 

Is that with hindsight and looking back over the season?

It was a hell of a win, but I don't know that I'd think the race was over after 10 games and a week before we played the champions.

15 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

It was a hell of a win, but I don't know that I'd think the race was over after 10 games and a week before we played the champions.

That was a significant win, I was so made up and I also felt that was a key moment.

15 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I’d feared that coming so close despite being near-perfect the previous season would break us mentally, but this was proof that it had made us even stronger.

A goal down and playing badly, it was exactly the type of situation that we’d failed at for decades, the type of game Alex Ferguson’s teams sickened me too often by turning around.

Seven points was a pretty hefty gap at that stage in a two horse race, and it became a pretty much unassailable (in my mind anyway) ten a week later. 

(I also thought the Origi derby goal the previous year was blind proof we were winning the thing, so I was owed this one.)

Winning at villa park will always be the moment that I knew we were finally going to do it, it’s funny that feeling is so much better than eventually winning it.

That series of games Villa, City and Palace was what sealed it. Still fucking distraught that the manner in which it was won so anticlimactic and surreal. Admittedly, I was terrified of the prospect of the league being rendered null and void that the relief was palpable but still feel a huge sense of regret and injustice how it happened.

For me it was Leicester. We’d been told, and maybe even told ourselves, that the packed Christmas schedule plus the world club championship was going to derail us. We’d seen ourselves struggle in the new year a season earlier, and we had to go away to a very good team who have caused us problems before and who were on good form.

And then we pulled out one of the best performances we’ve had under Klopp and a win which could’ve been even more emphatic than it was. 

That’s when it was won for me.

The United game was subtly different. That’s when I believed it was real and we weren’t going to screw it up. It was already won though.

• 2 weeks later...