You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) 20/9/20 - Premier League

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Nice, it's always good to beat chelsea especially at their own back yard.

The game was effectively over when Kepa passed the ball to Mane for the 2nd. Or so it seemed because you just know when we have it easy, we start pissing about, piling forward and leave ourselves exposed.

I hope we get pens like chelsea did today. That was more a collision between Thiago and Werner who, took 2 steps then went down in installments. Ive little problem with them being given provided they aint just given to united and one or two others.

Alli has been in the spotlight a little for some of the goals he conceeded and the community shield shoot out. No worries, the big man saved comfortably and even for a keeper of his stature, that will boost his confidence. Not only that, we had 2 men to hoof the rebound clear.

chelsea can have no complaints about the result. Just how the ref needed VAR to send of Christensen for that assault I dont know. I saw some say maybe he thought Kepa was getting their first but I think that's being generous. Anyway VAR and the ref eventually made the right call even if we were well on top during the first half.

chelsea looked scared of us or maybe just overawed? Who cares?

I thought we over complicated some things today when there really was no need. neville called it on one free kick where we pissed about and wasted it.

Thiago looks a rolls royce, penalty aside he didnt put a foot wrong. Im worried about Bobby. There was no movement, no urgency and no accuracy from him and I love Bobby. Same with Naby. 2nd half was perfect for him to grab the game by the scruff of its neck but he couldnt. keep saying I want him to succeed but how long do you give the lad?

Hopefully, Hendo's injury isnt serious. Fucking incredible we have another tough fixture against arsenal when some of these teams have been given piss easy starts. I know you play everyone twice but stop fucking about with the fixtures.

It seems we decided to stop playing and just pass tte ball around. That was a bit messy sometimes as you point out, and still don’t get why we played like that for more than 30 mn. Maybe we’re still short physically and we decided to have a rest. 

Fabinho was great, you understand why Klopp would use him as CD. Keita was missing and I agree Bobby is worrying.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

The only surprise was he gave a yellow to start with. 

I can get the refs initial decision, although he had an unobstructed view, he likely couldn’t see who was getting there first, and with VAR, there is no need consult the linesman. 

From my (and I’m everybody else’s TV view) we all thought it was a red. My wife told me off for shouting too loud about it wasn’t given. 

Apart from Lumpard, I doubt anybody thought it wasn’t a red. 

It would have been a sending off, even in rugby union.

The issue with Chelsea is the same but not as pronounced as the mancs in that you can spend all the money you want but if the training is vintage 90s and the manager has the tactical nous of a baboon eating a chess board then you're pretty much fucked. Lampard is from the tim sherwood school, big mouth, hugs players, thick as mince.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The issue with Chelsea is the same but not as pronounced as the mancs in that you can spend all the money you want but if the training is vintage 90s and the manager has the tactical nous of a baboon eating a chess board then you're pretty much fucked. Lampard is from the tim sherwood school, big mouth, hugs players, thick as mince.

Isn't it known that Lampard has a really high IQ? I don't think he's thick and he certainly knows football. Barney Ronay wrote an article yesterday that was pretty spot on though in regards to the issue with him, which is that he's a silver spoon twat.

Grew up mega rich, became a great player but was given pretty much every opportunity imaginable. And then when he retired, Harry Redknap paraded him around telling clubs to hire him to manage them. And then literally a year into his career he gets to manage Chelsea and a year after that gets one of the biggest transfer budgets ever. Despite the fact he's proven precisely nothing he's gotten everything handed to him. 

• Upvote 2

Interesting stat on the beeb

• Despite him only coming on as a second-half substitute, no Chelsea player completed more passes (75) or had more touches (89) than Liverpool debutant Thiago. His 75 successful passes was the most by a player to play 45 or fewer minutes in a Premier League game since 2003-04 (when full passing data is available).*

The lad’s a workaholic. Another Klopp master stroke.

Solid game by the team, but HENDO looks like being a liability this season. He’s the only Kenny signing we have left, but his demise as a peak player could be approaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Weird tactical decision by Chelsea today. They went toe-to-toe with us in the cup and in July and were much more effective than today. 

Fabinho was fucking awesome. Mo looks ready to go up another level again. Pleased with Thiago but I hope we don’t try to play everything though him when teams are parking the bus - we need to be able to mix things up. 

Bobby was better today I thought. Stuff wasn’t coming off for him but he seemed to make better decisions than in recent times. I thought Gini struggled - not just in front of goal - for the second week running. 

Sad that it’s hard to see Curtis getting a start in the league any time soon. 

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Isn't it known that Lampard has a really high IQ? I don't think he's thick and he certainly knows football. Barney Ronay wrote an article yesterday that was pretty spot on though in regards to the issue with him, which is that he's a silver spoon twat.

Grew up mega rich, became a great player but was given pretty much every opportunity imaginable. And then when he retired, Harry Redknap paraded him around telling clubs to hire him to manage them. And then literally a year into his career he gets to manage Chelsea and a year after that gets one of the biggest transfer budgets ever. Despite the fact he's proven precisely nothing he's gotten everything handed to him. 

He went to a private school so is pretty well educated.

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

They showed both the meaningful touches that Werner had and none of the masterful containment job that Fabinho did.

I guess, in fairness, the containment job probably doesn't count as "highlights", whereas two good touches from an expensive signing does - that's where it's the job of BBC's masterful panel of critics to point out Fabinho's dominance, and I'm guessing they didn't, of course.

Caught the post-match interviews: in his manner, Lampard is so much more redolent of a Ferguson type than Klopp. That haughty British chippiness. So happy throwing his own players under the bus. Hope it goes horribly wrong for him over there - as a character he is absolutely made for that team and fanbase.

Difficult to judge Chelsea until all of their signings are starting, and Pulisic was a big miss for them as he caused us real problems when he played last season.

Franks decision to be cautious betrays a paucity of tactical knowledge on his behalf. If he can’t get a tune out of the talent at his disposal I suspect someone else will be given the chance.