You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good/Bad Boxing Nicknames

VladimirIlyich

33 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Remember the first time I noticed Azumah Nelson when he was brought over here to be given a boxing lesson by Pat Cowdell. That went well.

Didn't Mcuigan avoid him? That Jeff Fenech fight in Las Vegas when they were constantly in the corner going toe for toe as of in a phone box. 

Not sure if that one was the draw and Fenech went mad. 

McGuigan wasn't the type to be scared of anybody, but I can imagine his management were not too keen.

I think The Professor moved up to super feather fairly soon after

On a separate point I am still annoyed at Barry losing the decision to Steve Cruz after outboxing him for 12 of their 15 rounds even if the other 2 or 3 were horrendous.

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Didn't Mcuigan avoid him? That Jeff Fenech fight in Las Vegas when they were constantly in the corner going toe for toe as of in a phone box. 

Not sure if that one was the draw and Fenech went mad. 

Yes McGuigan or his management did avoid him and after the loss to Steve Cruz,McGuigan and the appetite for a fight wasn't ever the same. Nelson would have won easily after that because McGuigan was a shadow of his former self from then on. The loss to Jim McDonnell was an embarrassment for McGuigan. I felt for him but I've rarely seen such a top fighter become so ordinary after one defeat.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes McGuigan or his management did avoid him and after the loss to Steve Cruz,McGuigan and the appetite for a fight wasn't ever the same. Nelson would have won easily after that because McGuigan was a shadow of his former self from then on. The loss to Jim McDonnell was an embarrassment for McGuigan. I felt for him but I've rarely seen such a top fighter become so ordinary after one defeat.

Yes a bit odd really, I'm not sure if you could blame the heat etc after that Cruz fight as many did. 

Cruz himself was beaten in his defence I think and went the same way, can't remember. 

On 10/09/2020 at 21:00, General Dryness said:

Been doing a bit of googling, and the best one I've come up with is Alexis Arguello "The Explosive Thin Man".

I also recall a local boxer many years ago who went by the nickname Tony "I've Come to Fight" Wright. Although by all accounts "The Horizontal Champion" might have been more accurate. 

There were two Wright brothers in Liverpool. Carl "Wildcat" Wright and Paul "Do it Right" Wright 

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I suppose the Louisville Lip was more used at least in the earlier days

I was always surprised how such an intelligent man like Ali was taken in by that charlatan Elijah Muhamed. I certainly understood his anger at how he and African Americans were treated but that Elijah Muhamed was a con man.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I was always surprised how such an intelligent man like Ali was taken in by that charlatan Elijah Muhamed. I certainly understood his anger at how he and African Americans were treated but that Elijah Muhamed was a con man.

It perhaps wasn't his most intelligent move.

Ali could have flown the flag for the cause on his own - with his own phenomenal presence, charisma and influence - without that gimmick.

I remember when I was growing up, for people like my Dad - fair to say a bit of a casual racist of his generation - Ali's prowess and stature were spine-tingling and transformational.

On 11/09/2020 at 10:54, sir roger said:

McGuigan wasn't the type to be scared of anybody, but I can imagine his management were not too keen.

I think The Professor moved up to super feather fairly soon after

On a separate point I am still annoyed at Barry losing the decision to Steve Cruz after outboxing him for 12 of their 15 rounds even if the other 2 or 3 were horrendous.

Remember watching that on the night. Heat got to him didnt it?

• Upvote 1