You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it time to start to question what's really happening?

Bruce Spanner

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

i struggle to be arsed to be honest, they're the party that Britain deserves. 

If you're from Liverpool then chances are the Tories have been shitting in your mouth as long as you can remember, but now everyone else is starting to get a taste. They're like social and economic locusts, and once they're done with your mining town and there's noting left, they'll move onto your quiet Buckinghamshire hamlet - shortly about to be the subject of 10,000 permitted housing developments a week. 

People have spent years voting for the Tories because they were insulated from their policies, they weren't blue collar workers or on benefits, single mothers or disabled, but now they're coming for them too - so fuck'em. 

We’re both children of Thatcher, I assume?

It was rotten growing up and seeing what those fuckers did, but they were Tories, you expected it, these cunts, well, aren’t. They’ve grabbed power under a cloak of Tory/right leaning ideology, coupled with their playing to the idiot gallery who swallowed the messages like good little thick fuckers, whilst not giving a fuck about either,  and now they’re just ripping everything up and are ready to watch the world burn for reasons I can’t fathom.

This is sociopathic and for the life of me, apart from personal enrichment/power, I can’t see a reason for it. It’s chaos for chaos’ sake. Like a sixth former saying smash the system but in real life. None of it makes sense. What’s the point of power when you’re globally isolated. What’s the point in wealth if your country is impoverished and on its knees. I don’t want to use the F word, but there are a lot of similarities starting to show, be it deliberate or accidental.

I would take Thatcher over these cunts, that’s how low I hold them in contempt and fear how far we could plummet unless they’re humbled and brought down to earth.

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It was rotten growing up and seeing what those fuckers did, but they were Tories, you expected it, these cunts, well, aren’t. They’ve grabbed power under a cloak of Tory/right leaning ideology, coupled with their playing to the idiot gallery who swallowed the messages like good little thick fuckers, whilst not giving a fuck about either,  and now they’re just ripping everything up and are ready to watch the world burn for reasons I can’t fathom.

This is sociopathic and for the life of me, apart from personal enrichment/power, I can’t see a reason for it. It’s chaos for chaos’ sake. Like a sixth former saying smash the system but in real life. None of it makes sense. What’s the point of power when you’re globally isolated. What’s the point in wealth if your country is impoverished and on its knees. I don’t want to use the F word, but there are a lot of similarities starting to show, be it deliberate or accidental.

I would take Thatcher over these cunts, that’s how low I hold them in contempt and fear how far we could plummet unless they’re humbled and brought down to earth.

That's it though, it is sociopathic, I think it really is that simple, they don't care. 

The kind of wealth these guys pursue isn't dependent on the country doing well. Said a few times on here but that's the difference between our version of capitalism and, say, Japan and Germany. Theirs is tied up in a version of nationalism where the success of the country and your own fortunes are entwined. 

Here, and in the States, they don't care what happens to the country, its infrastructure or institutions, they wouldn't care if we got invaded and enslaved, or if everything was sold to foreign countries, as long as you pay them enough. It's all about personal fortune and wealth, nothing else matters to them.  

Cameron and Osborne were cut from the same cloth, they'd probably think you were a dickhead if you admitted to paying taxes. They were just imbeciles and willing & malleable facilitators of mass theft from the state.

May was a brief interlude, she probably believed in all that Queen and country stuff, that's why I think she hated Corbyn so much as she viewed him as a communist enemy of all the things she held deer in her version of what she thought Britain was. Most of this lot probably thought she was a knob.

But the country has seen this, they saw the coalition and gave cameron a majority, they saw Johnson in action and gave him a massive majority, the country is a willing and longstanding accomplice to its own demise. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is a good explanation as to why- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/10/uk-corrupt-nation-earth-brexit-money-laundering

Brexit was to get out of the EU before stricter tax avoidance and money laundering controls came in. The current 'smash the state' stuff is to break up the union, make it impossible for the usual checks and controls through law and the civil service to function properly and above all it's to make sure no other party can get in and put things right. When you can squeeze hundreds of billions out of even the 'shithole' countries, you can imagine how much they can get out of a supposed top-tier country when its corrupted ministers have untrammelled power.

If you think the UK isn't corrupt, you haven't looked hard enough

Fortunes are being made by political favourites, while London’s money laundering fuels corruption across the planet

Fear, shame, embarrassment: these brakes no longer apply. The government has discovered that it can bluster through any scandal. No minister need resign. No one need apologise. No one need explain.

As public outrage grows over the billions of pounds of coronavirus contracts issued by the government without competition, it seems determined only to award more of them. Never mind that the consulting company Deloitte, whose personnel circulate in and out of government, has been strongly criticised for the disastrous system it devised to supply protective equipment to the NHS. It has now been granted a massive new contract to test the population for Covid-19.

Never mind that some of these contracts have reportedly cost taxpayers £800 for every protective overall delivered. Never mind that at least two multi-million pound contracts appear to have been issued to dormant companies. Awarding contracts to unusual companies, without advertising, transparency or competition now appears to have been adopted as the norm. Several of the firms that have benefited from this largesse are closely linked to senior figures in the government.

Every week, Boris Johnson looks more like George I, under whose government vast fortunes were made by political favourites, through monopoly contracts for military procurement. Any pretence of fiscal rectitude or democratic accountability has been abandoned. With four more years and the support of the billionaire press, who cares?

The way the government handles public money looks to me like an open invitation to corruption. While it is hard to show that any individual deal is corrupt, the framework under which this money is dispensed invites the perception.

When you connect the words corruption and the United Kingdom, people tend to respond with shock and anger. Corruption, we believe, is something that happens abroad. Indeed, if you check the rankings published by Transparency International or the Basel Institute, the UK looks like one of the world’s cleanest countries. But this is an artefact of the narrow criteria they use.

As Jason Hickel points out in his book The Divide, theft by officials in poorer nations amounts to between $20bn and $40bn a year. It’s a lot of money, and it harms wellbeing and democracy in those countries. But this figure is dwarfed by the illicit flows of money from poor and middling nations that are organised by multinational companies and banks. The US research group Global Financial Integrity estimates that $1.1tn a year flows illegally out of poorer nations, stolen from them through tax evasion and the transfer of money within corporations. This practice costs sub-Saharan Africa around 6% of its GDP.

The looters rely on secrecy regimes to process and hide their stolen money. The corporate tax haven index published by the Tax Justice Network shows that the three countries that have done most to facilitate this theft are the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands. All of them are British territories. Jersey, a British dependency, comes seventh on the list. These places are effectively satellites of the City of London. But because they are overseas, the City can benefit from “nefarious activities … while allowing the British government to maintain distance when scandals arise”, says the network. The City of London’s astonishing exemption from the UK’s freedom of information laws creates an extra ring of secrecy.

The UK also appears to be the money-laundering capital of the world. In a devastating article, Oliver Bullough revealed how easy it has become to hide your stolen loot and fraudulent schemes here, using a giant loophole in company law: no one checks the ownership details you enter when creating your company. You can, literally, call yourself Mickey Mouse, with a registered address on Mars, and get away with it. Bullough discovered owners on the Companies House site called “Xxx Stalin” and “Mr Mmmmmm Xxxxxxxxxxx”, whose address was given as “Mmmmmmm, Mmmmmm, Mmm, MMM”. One investigation found that 4,000 company owners, according to their submitted details, were under the age of two.

By giving false identities, company owners in the UK can engage in the industrial processing of dirty money with no fear of getting caught. Even when the UK’s company registration system was revealed as instrumental to the world’s biggest known money-laundering scheme, the Danske Bank scandal, the government turned a blind eye.

A new and terrifying book by the Financial Times journalist Tom Burgis, Kleptopia, follows a global current of dirty money, and the murders and kidnappings required to sustain it. Again and again, he found, this money, though it might originate in Russia, Africa or the Middle East, travels through London. The murders and kidnappings don’t happen here, of course: our bankers have clean cuffs and manicured nails. The National Crime Agency estimates that money laundering costs the UK £100bn a year. But it makes much more. With the money come people fleeing the consequences of their crimes, welcomed into this country through the government’s “golden visa” scheme: a red carpet laid out for the very rich.

None of this features in the official definitions of corruption. Corruption is what little people do. But kleptocrats in other countries are merely clients of the bigger thieves in London. Processing everyone else’s corruption is the basis of much of the wealth of this country. When you start to understand this, the contention by the author of Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano, that the UK is the most corrupt nation on Earth, begins to make sense.

These activities are a perpetuation of colonial looting: a means by which vast riches are siphoned out of poorer countries and into the hands of the super-rich. The UK’s great and unequal wealth was built on colonial robbery: the land and labour stolen in Ireland, America and Africa, the humans stolen by slavery, the $45tn bled from India.

Just as we distanced ourselves from British slave plantations in the Caribbean, somehow believing that they had nothing to do with us, now we distance ourselves from British organised crime, much of which also happens in the Caribbean. The more you learn, the more you realise that this is what it’s really about: grand larceny is the pole around which British politics revolve.

A no-deal Brexit, which Boris Johnson seems to favour, is likely to cement the UK’s position as the global entrepot for organised crime. When the EU’s feeble restraints are removed, under a government that seems entirely uninterested in basic accountability, the message we send to the rest of the world will be even clearer than it is today: come here to wash your loot.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Mudface said:

This is a good explanation as to why- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/10/uk-corrupt-nation-earth-brexit-money-laundering

Brexit was to get out of the EU before stricter tax avoidance and money laundering controls came in. The current 'smash the state' stuff is to break up the union, make it impossible for the usual checks and controls through law and the civil service to function properly and above all it's to make sure no other party can get in and put things right. When you can squeeze hundreds of billions out of even the 'shithole' countries, you can imagine how much they can get out of a supposed top-tier country when its corrupted ministers have untrammelled power.

Oh, I’m up on all of that and know it’s a wealth transfer and a way of circumventing tax regulations, but what’s the end game? 

Are we just going to become a money laundering island, what happens to the 60 odd million residents then, they’ll need work, sustenance, entertainment etc and if the economy, for the lower earners is gone and traditional middle class jobs disappear then where does revenue and tax come from.

Maybe we’ll move to the American system of corporate welfare where effectively tax payers pay big business to operate and make a profit in their country/area as it creates some jobs etc.

Im just at a loss of the bigger picture here, unless it is just a smash and grab and they’ve seized the opportunity?

The 'attorney general' who Tweeted her support for Cummings breaking lockdown rules no less. I feel better already. Imagine being a blue blood, who's descended from generations of people who've worked in the legal sector or sat in the house of lords, talking at length about how other 'lesser' democracies operate, yet allowing yourself to be outmaneuvered by these people. 

I'm no expert on banking but my suspicion all along has been the EU will crush the UK by destroying the City of London if the Brits get sneaky on rules or try turn the country into a tax haven.

Similar to the way GDPR is set up,  somewhere along the line an EU bank or business will be involved and that will be enough to shut the whole thing down. The choice will be simple, trade in any way with the rogue City of London and you can't trade with any bank that has any set up within the EU.

21 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm no expert on banking but my suspicion all along has been the EU will crush the UK by destroying the City of London if the Brits get sneaky on rules or try turn the country into a tax haven.

Similar to the way GDPR is set up,  somewhere along the line an EU bank or business will be involved and that will be enough to shut the whole thing down. The choice will be simple, trade in any way with the rogue City of London and you can't trade with any bank that has any set up within the EU.

Yeah, it makes no sense becoming a laundry for dodgy money when your bank's can't operate across borders where they need to. But then I probably don't understand how it all works because I'm not up on this shit.

Just now, sir roger said:

Absolute disgrace it was

( I still can't get into the utility room for loo rolls and tagliatelle )

You fucking bastard 

I'm trying not to eat pasta/bread too much at the minute but a few weeks into lockdown I was craving a chicken and bacon tagliatelle. First trip to the big tesco near ours and they didn't even have fusilli let alone tagliatelle. Fuck you and fuck the fucking lot of you hoarding bastards. I had to have cockles out the jar and a bottle of malbec instead. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I agree but we were hardly alone in the great bog roll grab.

Well yes, but there's this British exceptionalism myth that somehow we're better than other countries. We're just the same, there's nothing inherently superior about British people, despite what jingoistic bellends like Rees-Mogg and Johnson might say to rouse the rabble.

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You fucking bastard 

I'm trying not to eat pasta/bread too much at the minute but a few weeks into lockdown I was craving a chicken and bacon tagliatelle. First trip to the big tesco near ours and they didn't even have fusilli let alone tagliatelle. Fuck you and fuck the fucking lot of you hoarding bastards. I had to have cockles out the jar and a bottle of malbec instead. 

Cockles out of a jar, my kind of heaven. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Part of the Internal Markets Bill is proving really problematic...

EheaFbQXkAA1Vwm?format=jpg&name=small

Section (g) effectively gives them power to overturn court rulings, parliament decisions, internal/external law and, effectively, do as they want without fear of repercussion.

Now we knew they were bad, but not this bad surely?

This is heading down a very dark path if the reading of this is correct and, perhaps, it's time to start asking some really awkward questions about the state of/future of democracy in this country?

Out of intrest who do you think will or should ask these questions you talk of?  The printed press? Dont make me laugh.

The BBC political reporters? The laughter is getting louder.

Her marj opposition? When Corbyn raised awkward questions half the parliamentary labour party wanted to ram a sock in his mouth.

The general public?  Most couldn't care less, more worried about someone cheating on love island.

People like you on the internet?  You mean well so good luck Skippy.

Edit, maybe a more pertinent question would be why are the people who are supposed to be asking the questions not asking the questions?

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Out of intrest who do you think will or should ask these questions you talk of?  The printed press? Dont make me laugh.

The BBC political reporters? The laughter is getting louder.

Her marj opposition? When Corbyn raised awkward questions half the parliamentary labour party wanted to ram a sock in his mouth.

The general public?  Most couldn't care less, more worried about someone cheating on love island.

People like you on the internet?  You mean well so good luck Skippy.

Edit, maybe a more pertinent question would be why are the people who are supposed to be asking the questions not asking the questions?

This is what you wanted.  Why are you annoyed?  

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This is what you wanted.  Why are you annoyed?  

I'm sorry Rico, what is i wanted ?  I take it you're talking about us leaving the eu. The catastrophic way we are leaving the eu is down to a handful of megalomaniacs ie Gove, Cummings, Johnson, Mogg and a few others, I dont want to derail the thread banging on about a subject which is best on the other thread but imo the right wing coup started with the austerity measures from Cameron and Osborne, as Corbyn was seen as a threat the media gave them pair a very easy ride.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

I'm sorry Rico, what is i wanted ?  I take it you're talking about us leaving the eu. The catastrophic way we are leaving the eu is down to a handful of megalomaniacs ie Gove, Cummings, Johnson, Mogg and a few others, I dont want to derail the thread banging on about a subject which is best on the other thread but imo the right wing coup started with the austerity measures from Cameron and Osborne, as Corbyn was seen as a threat the media gave them pair a very easy ride.

You wanted control, you wanted absolute sovereignty.  This is exactly what you wanted. This is the UK government saying it will hold Parliamentary sovereignty above all.  

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You wanted control, you wanted absolute sovereignty.  This is exactly what you wanted. This is the UK government saying it will hold Parliamentary sovereignty above all.  

I dont want to derail Spanners thread Rico but the government have just welched on a legal treaty agreed in parliament. 

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I dont want to derail Spanners thread Rico but the government have just welched on a legal treaty agreed in parliament. 

It’s happening again.  Do you even know how Parliament works?  Parliament can’t bind a future Parliament.  Over the last 4 years when you’ve been gloating about being free of the EU this is what you’ve enabled. If I could be arsed to search would I find a post where you moan about the EU courts?  The leash is off, they can do what the fuck they want. 

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You saw last week the outrage when they couldn't get the papers out. Shook em up, imo they are ones to get behind and support in the near future. Imagine causing a constant blank on the printed press of the sun and mail? That's the way forward. 

One of the most chilling things he's ever seen? He mustn't get out much, I was expecting him to get cracked or something but they basically just walk him to a van. Don't know what the backstory is but is he insinuating that you can't arrest someone if they're old? 

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

One of the most chilling things he's ever seen? He mustn't get out much, I was expecting him to get cracked or something but they basically just walk him to a van. Don't know what the backstory is but is he insinuating that you can't arrest someone if they're old? 

It’s from Craig Murray who’s 20 mins from being David Icke. 

• Upvote 1