You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds (H) Premier League - 12/09/20 - 17:30

Bjornebye

Bit tiring listening to all the wanking over Bielsa yesterday. Yes, he’s impressive but let’s not get too carried away - he’s hardly won loads of trophies during his career. 

Leeds looked good and played bravely but that was some of the worst defending I’ve seen by an opposition team at Anfield since Norwich on the opening day last season. Good job that we’re not really a team made up of clinical finishers otherwise it would have been about 9-3. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

"One for the neutrals" that match.

Never should have been as close as that.  Our defending was horrendous and Bobby wasn't at his sharpest (I'm being kind) up front.  Still - three points and a Bart strut and on we go.

Unfortunately, Bart is now retired.

A European cup, a world club and a league title; there are no more worlds for Alexander to conquer. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

We should NEVER rest on our laurels.

We go again.

If they send that team from Mars, that Shankly used to go on about, to beat us, then I could see him coming out of retirement for one last job.

But, you've got to know when to fold them.

8 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Very disappointing watch yesterday. Relieved for the win but I'm sorry, there is no way a newly promoted Championship side with hardly any of their new signings should be scoring three goals at Anfield.

It feels to me like a real vein of lethargy has manifested itself with this side and that the team itself feels like its achieved its goal two fold and thus there is a real cavalier attitude towards performances. I mean you only have to look at Van Dijk as a prime example. When he came in he was smart, strong and no nonsense. Since February he has switched off to a degree. Noticeably it stems from the game against Man Utd at home when it was genuinely felt that the league was over. First rule of a defender is to just get rid and what Van Dijk did yesterday you would expect to see happen in Sunday League.

You can see why the great teams of old and the boot room regularly kept the title winning teams fresh and driven, firstly by proving to the first 11 that no one was safe in their position, and a few fresh faces a year was a genuine wake up call that business was starting again and there was no room for basking in the previous season.

And that the Club felt that their number one aim was winning on the pitch first and foremost. I get the feeling currently its more of a secondary target after looking after the Clubs business activities. I wouldn't be surprised to find at board level they were happy to have a year off as long as top four is achieved and to then attempt a fresh assault on the league.

If we play like we did yesterday in the next two weeks we will be fortunate to go home with all the points, Chelsea especially will be gunning for us and seeing an early opportunity for throwing a marker down.

We need a quality CB to up our remaining three CBs game, and yes I include Van Dijk here. Firmino needs proper competition too, he has dropped so far off what he usually produces its unreal. The midfield needs a shake up and we need to implement a second system and way of playing because teams are beginning to suss us out and we seem to have lost that aura of invincibility we had at the start of the year. In short this team needs competition all over the park and we need to dispense with this poor line of thinking that the first 11 is so untouchable we don't need any other quality players. Quality teams don't ship 27 goals since feb with only three clean sheets.

Do quality team win the league with 7 games to go?

Fuck me, some of the people on here are painful. 

• Upvote 1

The only actual problem this team has is the midfield. Firmino's been poor, Salah and Mane go through periods of it too, but we still score goals in general. Same for the defense. We're going through a period where we're conceding lots but it's more to do with bad form and structural issues than the quality of the players. We'd struggle to find better players anywhere for our back 5 than what we already have. 

But in midfield, there's questions everywhere. Wijnaldum may be on his way out and he barely gets on the ball. You'd struggle to find a midfielder at a big club who gets on the ball less. Keita is still a question mark. He's getting subbed off in the 60th minute after a full preseason because he's not reliable enough defensively. Klopp decided to play an unfit Henderson rather than Fabinho... There's lots of bodies but it's not the best situation. That's where we obviously need improvement. They were all invisible against Leeds. 

On 13/09/2020 at 22:15, 3 Stacks said:

The only actual problem this team has is the midfield. Firmino's been poor, Salah and Mane go through periods of it too, but we still score goals in general. Same for the defense. We're going through a period where we're conceding lots but it's more to do with bad form and structural issues than the quality of the players. We'd struggle to find better players anywhere for our back 5 than what we already have. 

But in midfield, there's questions everywhere. Wijnaldum may be on his way out and he barely gets on the ball. You'd struggle to find a midfielder at a big club who gets on the ball less. Keita is still a question mark. He's getting subbed off in the 60th minute after a full preseason because he's not reliable enough defensively. Klopp decided to play an unfit Henderson rather than Fabinho... There's lots of bodies but it's not the best situation. That's where we obviously need improvement. They were all invisible against Leeds. 

Henderson was excellent even though half fit. Fabinho still hasnt hit the heights of his pre injury form either. Gini may be getting pressure from agents but we still found a way to win.

On 16/09/2020 at 09:57, VladimirIlyich said:

Henderson was excellent even though half fit. Fabinho still hasnt hit the heights of his pre injury form either. Gini may be getting pressure from agents but we still found a way to win.

Fabinho was probably our best player post lockdown.

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree,he was patchy for me. Far better form pre injury,in fact he was magnificent pre injury but has taken a while to get close to that form again. 

Fair enough. So, who was your pick for our best player post lockdown? Another way of asking the question: who wasn't patchy post lockdown?

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Fair enough. So, who was your pick for our best player post lockdown? Another way of asking the question: who wasn't patchy post lockdown?

Most were but I noticed it especially with Fabinho because he'd been so brilliant beforehand. Hope he isn't forced into a makeshift centre half though if we get an injury or suspension in defence. He's still excellent but midfield is where he excels and especially with Henderson.They are a fantastic combination and truly underrated by many and hopefully it can stay that way.

• Upvote 1

Agreed on Fabinho. Excellent before his injury, garbage on his return then really good after lockdown. 

I know we aren't short on potential players of the season but Fabinho if he stays fit will be right up there in a shout for second behind Thiago. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Most were but I noticed it especially with Fabinho because he'd been so brilliant beforehand. Hope he isn't forced into a makeshift centre half though if we get an injury or suspension in defence. He's still excellent but midfield is where he excels and especially with Henderson.They are a fantastic combination and truly underrated by many and hopefully it can stay that way.

All good. Still didn't give me your pick for best player. You disagreed that he was our best player post lockdown. For that to be a valid argument, I'd imagine you'd want to nominate someone.

It seems there are a fair few who saw it like I did.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, m0e said:

All good. Still didn't give me your pick for best player. You disagreed that he was our best player post lockdown. For that to be a valid argument, I'd imagine you'd want to nominate someone.

It seems there are a fair few who saw it like I did.

Jeez,I can't remember what went on yesterday never mind a couple of months ago,give a forgetful old fogey a break eh? Ok then,Matip?