You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds (H) Premier League - 12/09/20 - 17:30

Bjornebye

Firmino is doing exactly what he's done for the past 18 months. It was de rigueur 6-12 months ago to say he was more important to us than either Mane or Salah (Clue: He's not, never has and never will be).

Equally the bandwagon should not now lurch to him being awful; he has always been a poor finisher, but his turn-and-drive from the halfway line during the one touch piece where Mane/Salah one-two'ed and easily could have scored highlights everything he brings & opportunities his presence creates.

He is what he is; hard working, industrious runner with a fine touch and extremely dubious finishing ability.

14 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Funny how quickly people want players fucked off out of the team that have just won our first league title in 30 years.  First game of the season after a complete worldwide shitfest that’s fucked up everything with still no fans in the stadium and basically no pre season.

This season should be a free hit after the last 2 years.  Yet everyone is losing their shit at the players.  It’s only a forum obviously but it’s a good view of the wider opinion of the fans generally.  It creates a bad atmosphere and puts unnecessary pressure on the team.

Dunno if this is a pop at my Keita shot and don’t really care, there is no context to it really, Keita is shite, proper shite, he’s been here for yonks in football terms and has offered fuck all. Came with a reputation that suggested a Gerrard/Souness hybrid and predictions that he would conquer the world,  well I’ve seen enough, he’s shite, get rid.

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Dunno if this is a pop at my Keita shot and don’t really care, there is no context to it really, Keita is shite, proper shite, he’s been here for yonks in football terms and has offered fuck all. He’s shite, get rid

Should have had an assist within 5 minutes.

6 hours ago, Code said:

Opening day of the season at home, I cant believe Im not there like usual. 

This virus needs to fuck off so I can get my life back. 

I should have started the day waking up in a bad state, after stumbling in the doors at Lord Nelson between 03-06 in the night. Had a shower, walked down to Lime street to get my breakfast at either Shiraz Palace or at The Crown. Then had a few more pints in the city, before getting a taxi to Anfield, where I would end up either at The Church, TIA, Sandon or the 12th man, depending were my mates were.

Now Im sitting at home, bored to death with this Arsenal game, just counting down the clock to our game.

Fuck my life.

4-0 win, Salah hattrick.

I almost got it, but I had Matip playing instead of Gomez when I made this prediction. 

Salah only three goals away from 100 goals for the club now, genius at work. 

2EF2FA50-0A3A-4A5B-8AC0-7EAE7DE246AC.png

• Upvote 2

I dont agree Bobby is a poor finisher generally. He's scored some wonderful goals. But for whatever reason, he's lacking confidence to take shots on that he would of the season before last. He's trying too much to set up Mo and Sadio in my opinion. Then when he is in a good position to finish, he's fluffing it.

As regards Naby, he's been here 3 years and he's still a bit part player who only delivers in flashes. The game tonight was ideal for him to stamp his authority on it and he just didnt or couldnt do it.

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Dunno if this is a pop at my Keita shot and don’t really care, there is no context to it really, Keita is shite, proper shite, he’s been here for yonks in football terms and has offered fuck all. Came with a reputation that suggested a Gerrard/Souness hybrid and predictions that he would conquer the world,  well I’ve seen enough, he’s shite, get rid.

It wasn’t.  It was a comment about people slagging off Firmino and Gomez.  I’m not one of these people who thinks the sun shines out of Keita’s arse.  I think he’s an accident waiting to happen when he’s not in form because defensively he just makes bad decisions and freezes so often.  He’s definitely not shite though and deserved a start today for how he ended the season.  True to form he looked good going forward but didn’t help defensively at all and was rightly subbed off.

15 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Firmino is doing exactly what he's done for the past 18 months.

Convenient but he was a 1 in 2 striker prior to that.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont agree Bobby is a poor finisher generally. He's scored some wonderful goals.

He still does everything else and is a unique player - but in front of goal is not the same.

Should never have stopped doing this stuff.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Convenient but he was a 1 in 2 striker prior to that.

I know you have a liking of being habitually wrong, but Firmino has never, ever in 13 domestic league campaigns across 3 countries been a 1 in 2 striker. In only 2 of those 13 domestic seasons has he even approached being a 1 in 2 striker. In 9 of those 13 he has been a 1 in 3 striker or worse. His overall domestic strike rate is just a shade over 1 in 3.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

I am not sure that the team is affected by a forum and an empty stadium.

Certainly nothing like the collective moan of 54k folks as Henderson makes another backpass.

I agree.  I mean the general feeling of the players when the fans start up some bandwagon to get players out of the team or demand signings to replace them.  Especially when they’ve achieved what they have for the club.  It definitely gets through to the players.

Just now, Alex_K said:

I know you have a liking of being habitually wrong, but Firmino has never, ever in 13 domestic league campaigns across 3 countries been a 1 in 2 striker. In only 2 of those 13 domestic seasons has he even approached being a 1 in 2 striker. In 9 of those 13 he has been a 1 in 3 striker or worse.

Oh, the golas only count in the league?

What if you are playing in the biggest club tournament in the world?

56 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good run out for Jones.

I am one of Go Jomez' biggest supporter/fanboys but he has really not been up to it for about 6 months.

And Firmino, pull yer finger out man. Shoot the fuckin puck.

He's not been right since that injury. He was brilliant before that. Seems to go to sleep and lack confidence. 

Can ye explain what exactly gomez did wrong today apart from that half hearted attempt at their first? That wasn't near half as bad as what van dijk did, and he didn't put a foot wrong the rest of the game. He had more clearances and double the passes of virgil. I'm not saying he was Maldini in his prime, but he wasn't that bad either. They got fuck all protection from the midfield today also. 

Let's give them all a few games before we throw them under a bus. 

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont agree Bobby is a poor finisher generally. He's scored some wonderful goals. But for whatever reason, he's lacking confidence to take shots on that he would of the season before last. He's trying too much to set up Mo and Sadio in my opinion. Then when he is in a good position to finish, he's fluffing it.

As regards Naby, he's been here 3 years and he's still a bit part player who only delivers in flashes. The game tonight was ideal for him to stamp his authority on it and he just didnt or couldnt do it.

No he hasn’t, it’s been 2, but he’s shown plenty of promise in the few games he’s been given, injuries have fucked his rhythm up, just because he didn’t do it today? Yet Firmino, and we all know how good he’s been, can get away with shit performances almost on a weekly basis, he needs competition. I love Bobby, but I’ve found that he’s bulletproof with our fans, Salah gets loads of criticism but if you criticise Bobby, you get the wrath. Every player gets criticised, criticise Bobby and you obviously don’t know what he brings to the team., 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Hmmm. 3 points, just, but no clean sheet. Where do you start with this one? At 3-2 you never got the feeling we were secure and so it turned out. Once it was 3-3, I wasnt confident of getting a fourth and it took a clumsy pen to get that and the 3 points.

To be honest Leeds worked hard. They looked more like us than us in this game. Like I said earlier in the thread, this game was a free hit for them. Lose and well, you are playing the Champions Win or draw andthey get the plaudits.

It's the first real game of the season so you can expect some rustiness. But, there's always a but.

I really thought Allison should be doing better on that first goal. Yes, it might have needed a worldie save, there again not. He'll be disappointed to conceed 3 although Virgil sold him short for the 2nd.

Trent looks like he's had no preseason which, he hasnt. And thanks to that knob england manager running the arse off him for 87 minutes midweek. I really cannot believe Jurgen would have been happy with him playing more than 65 minutes there. A couple of times he didnt have the legs to get back which is unusual for him.

Virgil, WTF you playing at lad for that 2nd? If that had been Lovren, he'd rightly be getting pelters for that and it's not the 1st time Virgil's sold his keeper short. Fucking put it in row Z then debate with the keeper what to do.

Joe, solid game but when Trent got turned for their first, he really should have been more committed in the tackle.

Robbo had a great game up and down the wing I thought. Hendo was solid coming into the side on the back of no pre season, I thought Gini gave the ball away far too much. He had 2 real good chances but couldnt take them. Naby failed to live upto expectations. Again. Sorry, I think we need to cut our losses with him now. Harsh I know but there you go. Did he do anything tonight?

I love Bobby but WTF is going on? He had an opportunity early on but passed up the chance. He should have scored late on but was far too laid back with the flick of the outside of his boot. Sadio worked hard but never really looked like scoring. Mo, star man and we wouldnt have got 3 points tonight without him. The finish for his 2nd was a corker.

Nothing I saw tonight suggests to me the team needs freshening up. I hope there's not a touch of Billy Bigbollocks creeping in with some of the players.

Carragher and Tyler saying the first pen was harsh. Do they not read the new interpretation for pens this season?

Talking about that cunt Tyler, he cheered every fucking goal Leeds scored tonight. He didnt even bother with Virgil's powerful header for the 2nd! Cunt.

Jurgen needs to sort the defending out again for the trip to chelsea. Play like we did tonight and we wont get a point there never mind 3, even with fwank in charge.

Spot on ! Alisson could not anything for the goals though. Leeds were fitter than we are, playing like a Bielsa side.

A bit strange Minamino did not play , considering Bobby was so poor. Klopp can be so conservative.

Brewster was not even on the bench. Klopp does not seem to plan to rely on him. Get him loan out. 

Fucking hell what a game. Mouthwatering going forward and bowel shifting in defense. I was drooling and shitting all over myself watching that. 

17/18 Mo back again please. We need his goals.

Bobby has been fucking shite for over a year. I can't recall the number of times he had me screaming TAKE A FUCKING SHOT as he pondered on the ball again and again. He needs to sort it out. We need competition for him.

We need to reinforce. Keita looks the part and I'm all for watching more of Curtis Jones. Thiago and a striker has to happen before we close. I'll forgive the lack of a defender but I don't understand why we don't find a good player to bring in on loan. Ben white did well at Leeds, are there no other youngsters who could come in as back up?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, niallers said:

Can ye explain what exactly gomez did wrong today apart from that half hearted attempt at their first? That wasn't near half as bad as what van dijk did, and he didn't put a foot wrong the rest of the game. He had more clearances and double the passes of virgil. I'm not saying he was Maldini in his prime, but he wasn't that bad either. They got fuck all protection from the midfield today also. 

Let's give them all a few games before we throw them under a bus. 

Agree about Joe.

19 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

No he hasn’t, it’s been 2, but he’s shown plenty of promise in the few games he’s been given, injuries have fucked his rhythm up, just because he didn’t do it today? Yet Firmino, and we all know how good he’s been, can get away with shit performances almost on a weekly basis, he needs competition. I love Bobby, but I’ve found that he’s bulletproof with our fans, Salah gets loads of criticism but if you criticise Bobby, you get the wrath. Every player gets criticised, criticise Bobby and you obviously don’t know what he brings to the team., 

OK, so Keita has been here 2 full seasons and is now in his 3rd year. Injuries have fucked him up. He went to ACON with an injury when Klopp didnt want him to go. He played 1 game and made the injury worst. Who's fault is that again? It's set the tone for his 2 years.

Keita is a £54m player. If you actually bothered to read my earlier post as well, you'll see Ive said he's only showed glimpses of what he can do. He got subbed off again tonight.

Again, if you read my post instead of reading what you want, you'll see Ive said I love Bobby but WTF is going on? Ive said he seems to be concentrating too much on setting others up even when he's in a good position. Then, when he gets a chance,he's not finishing.

I agree some players are bullet proof. van Dijk more so than others.