You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random cities you've always wanted to visit

Section_31

18 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I quite fancy travelling on the Trans-Siberian railway.

I’ve never travelled outside of Europe because I LOATHE flying, so there are loads of places in America  - New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix, Arizona, Portland, Maine, Alaska and Colorado - that I’d love to visit. Buenos Aries for La Bombonera, too.

Quite into the idea of long train rides, there’s a few around Australia I want to do, probably the Ghan first, but trans Siberian would be boss, as would Buenos Aires 

17 hours ago, Remmie said:

Perth is a very modern chilled out place, loads of nice coastline to access. My brother lives there so I get to visit every couple of years, though with 2 kids that's going to be a struggle financially. Loads of places to eat with immigrant influences from Nepal, Indonesia, Japan, Italy, Poland etc breweries are pretty big there too. But to be honest the big appeal is what you've touched on, it's surrounded by endless countryside with the Bush and wine regions to the south, with some amazing coastal regions stretching on for hours up north. Haven't done much to the East (desert) but there is a cracking island to the west called Rottnest, home of a rare marsupial called the Quokka. The weather is amazing most of the year with the obvious sunshine but there is the "Freemantle doctor" - coastal winds that help keep you cool. 

I thi I the reason I’ve not got into Perth is when I’ve been it’s been short trips - hotel, see mates, wedding - shit like that where you never really get out and about too much in a 4-5 day trip from the east.

17 hours ago, No2 said:

Spent 3 weeks in Perth last Christmas. The city itself is no different from any other modern city I've been too. The surrounding area is lovely, loads of great beaches and coastal towns. My brother in-law lives there, his commute to work is 3 hours on an airplane. The sheer size of the place is hard to phantom. I'd say it's a great place to live but I wouldn't recommend visiting unless you have friends or family. 

Buenos Aires is a city I'd love to see.

+1 Buenos Aires 

16 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Mostly places I’m terrified of visiting.

Buenos Aires

Rio de Janeiro

Mexico City

San Jose

Montevideo

Beirut

Jerusalem

Cairo

Tunis

Casablanca

Miami

New Orleans 

El Paso

I was meant to visit somewhere on my list (Bilbao) in April but this virus shite got in the way.

Quite a few I want to tick off there, central/ South America is fascinating - as are the women. Watched some boss films from Peru recently, would love to retrace the motorcycle diaries as well.

add in Beirut and Palestine 

13 hours ago, mattyq said:

I spent a few days in Medellin in the late 90s.

Was Columbia in a nutshell. Extremely beautiful, mad as a box of frogs, a little scary, loads of coke. People very friendly

Got off the bus at the bus station about4 in the morning and there were loads of armed guards with submachine guns and shotguns stopping from moving until dawn and then the first 2 hotels I tried were burnt to the ground

Antioqua is lovely, though. Earthquakes

Sounds superb man, meet a fair few Colombians, my brother in law was seeing a Colombian girl for a bit. They all seem to say similar things, it’s a beautiful country, a little bit crazy, but worth the visit.

8 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Have some Argentinian friends and they say it's great but very unsafe. You're highly likely to be robbed if you haven't your wits about you. 

The one thing I always forget to pack, always hit a little bit of adventure along the way but manage to work our way through it.

7 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Always fancied Valencia.

Not visited much of Spain, but Seville and then across to Valencia was supposed to be on our European tour this year. Quite fancy doing el Camino.at some point up in the north.

id really like to go to Vienna and spend a few days in the old cafes where the philosophers and that type used to hang out.

‘also cycling in Iceland looks good.

‘if anyone is in Australia for a bit and gets the chance to visit Vanuatu, it’s beautiful, like the picture o the place off the coast of Somalia.

4 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Alcatraz and San Francisco are definitely on my bucket list strangely I've been watching a lot about Alcatraz on YouTube lately .

The Alcatraz tour is brilliant. We went on it before we had the kids and never stopped going on about it whenever it got mentioned. Shame I fucked it up when we took them. 

Oh, and if you’re thinking of walking the Golden Gate Bridge, that little car park on the opposite side that looks like a bus terminal is actually not a bus terminal and you’ve got no option but to walk it all the way back as there’s no public transport. Middle of August and it was fucking freezing too

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The Alcatraz tour is brilliant. We went on it before we had the kids and never stopped going on about it whenever it got mentioned. Shame I fucked it up when we took them. 

Oh, and if you’re thinking of walking the Golden Gate Bridge, that little car park on the opposite side that looks like a bus terminal is actually not a bus terminal and you’ve got no option but to walk it all the way back as there’s no public transport. Middle of August and it was fucking freezing too

Wish we had gone to San Francisco in 86 instead we turned right  and headed up to Vancouver mind there were 4 of us so might have been voted down cheers for the information 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

The one thing I always forget to pack, always hit a little bit of adventure along the way but manage to work our way through it.

Not visited much of Spain, but Seville and then across to Valencia was supposed to be on our European tour this year. Quite fancy doing el Camino.at some point up in the north.

id really like to go to Vienna and spend a few days in the old cafes where the philosophers and that type used to hang out.

‘also cycling in Iceland looks good.

‘if anyone is in Australia for a bit and gets the chance to visit Vanuatu, it’s beautiful, like the picture o the place off the coast of Somalia.

Vienna is gorgeous. So much history there and not expensive for the food and drink. Went to Freuds house as the Mrs was dying to go and it was pretty interesting tbf.     Highly recommend going

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

Wish we had gone to San Francisco in 86 instead we turned right  and headed up to Vancouver mind there were 4 of us so might have been voted down cheers for the information 

Probably a lot more dangerous then compared to now. We first went in 97 and asked the girl on the reception where we should go for a night out and she said whatever you do, do not turn right outside this hotel and make sure you get a cab back later to drop you right at the door. Obviously we turned right. Loads of Biker and rock Bars which were sound. I’d do as I’m told now I’m old and a shithouse 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I’ve always wondered what the strange vibration that Scott McKenzie sang about was. Did he have a love egg shoved up his bum?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I’d planned a long weekend this summer to take the bird away. We were going to do Cork, Kinsale and Cobh. 

Have had to put it back a year as I want to take her to Cobh on a summers day. 

Spent 5 days travelling around West Cork last summer, it was fucking beautiful. We stopped in 3 or 4 villages/towns every day. We caught Cobh on a nice say too, the views were incredible. 

My grandparents are from Cork so we used to spend summers down there as kids, 20+ years ago. Just a superb county.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Spent 5 days travelling around West Cork last summer, it was fucking beautiful. We stopped in 3 or 4 villages/towns every day. We caught Cobh on a nice say too, the views were incredible. 

My grandparents are from Cork so we used to spend summers down there as kids, 20+ years ago. Just a superb county.

Have always fancied Gallway and the West Coast. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Get yourself a cheap flight to Derry and rent a car for a week or 10 days. Drive to North West Donegal (Rathmullan, Downings, Dunfanaghy) and work you way down the West Coast through Sligo, Enniscrone, Ballina, Westport an right round by Galway. Plenty of cheap b&b's and hostels along the way.

I'm biased because I live in Donegal, but I think that West Coast Wild Atlantic Way drive has more to offer than anything else on the island. 

If you ever actually book anything, give me a message and I'll give you some specifics.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Get yourself a cheap flight to Derry and rent a car for a week or 10 days. Drive to North West Donegal (Rathmullan, Downings, Dunfanaghy) and work you way down the West Coast through Sligo, Enniscrone, Ballina, Westport an right round by Galway. Plenty of cheap b&b's and hostels along the way.

I'm biased because I live in Donegal, but I think that West Coast Wild Atlantic Way drive has more to offer than anything else on the island. 

If you ever actually book anything, give me a message and I'll give you some specifics.

Cheers mate, deffo on my to do list. My in laws live in Omagh and I've only driven into the Republic once for a wedding and it was a stunning drive, loved it. The Mrs's cousin lives in Galway with her fella and they've invited us down so one day when all this bollocks dies down.

30 minutes ago, Carradona said:

My Nan was from Cork and my Grampher from Kinsale, I’ve only been a couple of times before but a summers day in Cobh is amazing. 

I’d put that day above Cape Town, Havana and anywhere else you be been in the world. 

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Do you like rain? 

We took a little break there a few weeks back. It's a drive for us seeing as we're from Dublin. We took the kids to a beach in the gaeltacht (Irish speaking place close to Galway). There wasn't a cloud in the sky, really nice actually, but the wind off the Atlantic would cut you in two. It was 14 degrees, I was wearing shorts and got the legs and feet burned off me. Only in Galway could that happen. 

All joking aside, when the weather is good, Galway is great, unfortunately it does rain, ALOT. 

I have to say there's loads of places I'd like to visit, I don't know if this whole covid thing has fueled the fire more, but I do love watching the Michael portillo railway travel show. Bologna looked amazing, palermo another one. 

Utrecht in the netherlands is apparently a cool place to visit, id fancy watching a game in eindhoven to. Ghent or pretty much anywhere in the Flanders region of Belgium to. 

Germany also, I've never been oddly enough, was supposed to be going to a convention in kessel this October, but that's bloody cancelled now. 

Them fecking nerds better hurry up with that vaccine, my arms are willing and able to take, the day I get the jab, I'm booking a trip, and no offence, it won't be too Galway. 

• Upvote 1

Ha nah that doesn't put me off!

Have alwaya fancied seeing an African or Middle Eastern city, sadly you associate them largely with being pretty unsafe, but I like the idea of them being totally different to Europe. That's why I'm not super fussed on going to Northern Europe, they tend to have a very similar vibe to England, same shops, same weather, roughly the same layouts.

I saw a travel show once where this person was in Japan and that's something she commented on, that japanese cities were pretty alien and that you had no real sense of what was where. I really like that idea.

Tokyo has always been my dream destination, it's a gaming in the 90s thing I think. But just the thought of the bustle and the neon, it'd be incredible.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ha nah that doesn't put me off!

Have alwaya fancied seeing an African or Middle Eastern city, sadly you associate them largely with being pretty unsafe, but I like the idea of them being totally different to Europe. That's why I'm not super fussed on going to Northern Europe, they tend to have a very similar vibe to England, same shops, same weather, roughly the same layouts.

I saw a travel show once where this person was in Japan and that's something she commented on, that japanese cities were pretty alien and that you had no real sense of what was where. I really like that idea.

Tokyo has always been my dream destination, it's a gaming in the 90s thing I think. But just the thought of the bustle and the neon, it'd be incredible.

You'd be amazed how quiet Tokyo is, and Japan in general, nobody makes a sound whilst commuting about, it's kinda eeire based on our Euro cenrtric experience, but fascinating. Go without hesitation, it's wonderful.

On the African thing, you're probably pretty safe in any of the big cities, apart from maybe Lagos and Mogadishu and the really dangerous ones, but you need wits about you as cities are sprawling 'organic' cities that don't really have planning, you just end up turning a corner in to densely populated housing and then finding an oil refinery guarded by guys with huge fucking guns, it's all ad hoc, which is part of the charm. Africa is fucking mad, but amazing. The Middle East, Qatar, UAE etc are fine, ersatz, but fine. You can't escape the feeling you're being complicit at times though and it creates an uneasy feeling.

• Upvote 1