You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random cities you've always wanted to visit

Section_31

10 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s a real American myth.

I ‘did’ a lot of the West Coast a few year back and the vast, vast majority is shite identikit towns. 

Some of it is amazing, and genuinely stunning, but the small towns are small towns and populated by small town people with small town people ideas, much like everywhere I assume.

If you do it plan well in advance. 

Cheers mate.

Yeah I've put loads of planning into it. Only problem is, it's all about planning to win the lottery first. 

• Upvote 3

I quite fancy travelling on the Trans-Siberian railway.

I’ve never travelled outside of Europe because I LOATHE flying, so there are loads of places in America  - New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix, Arizona, Portland, Maine, Alaska and Colorado - that I’d love to visit. Buenos Aries for La Bombonera, too.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Havana

Tbilisi

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

All still have this old-school charm about them.

Tbilisi is fucking great, a beautiful city in a great country. The food and drink are also top notch and really cheap. 

Make it happen, you can fly to Georgia on budget airlines now and when I arrived passport control greeted me with a bottle of wine. 

I have been to Saigon/HCMC as well though didn't really do it justice as it was a base to go elsewhere but they have cracking rooftop bars and beer hoi in the streets. I preferred Hanoi though went there during Chinese New year. 

Not been to Havana though sadly

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

Always fancied visiting Australia in General especially for an Ashes series,  Driven through Seattle in 86 on our way up to Vancouver looked a great City @Section_31 might have a few pictures. 

I've been to Brisbane for the Ashes with @the chimp, it was great but it was all about the Barmy Army making the atmosphere. I reckon MCG on boxing day would be something else

• Upvote 2

Need to make good on my Monchengladbach visit that I cancelled earlier this year as well.  Found the match ticket the other day.

Dusseldorf, I was going to stay in Dusseldorf, go to BMG for the *F and I think I had a gig lined up in Cologne as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Always fancied seeing Perth in Australia, isn't it the most remote city in the world or something? I read somewhere it's closer to Singapore than it is to any other Australian city. The idea of this big, modern city surrounded by thousands of miles of desert is mad.

Pyongyang. I know I'll never go but would love to, I imagine everywhere indoors looking like the sets from Prisoner cell block H.

Seattle, based purely on the view from Frazier's apartment. 

Perth is a very modern chilled out place, loads of nice coastline to access. My brother lives there so I get to visit every couple of years, though with 2 kids that's going to be a struggle financially. Loads of places to eat with immigrant influences from Nepal, Indonesia, Japan, Italy, Poland etc breweries are pretty big there too. But to be honest the big appeal is what you've touched on, it's surrounded by endless countryside with the Bush and wine regions to the south, with some amazing coastal regions stretching on for hours up north. Haven't done much to the East (desert) but there is a cracking island to the west called Rottnest, home of a rare marsupial called the Quokka. The weather is amazing most of the year with the obvious sunshine but there is the "Freemantle doctor" - coastal winds that help keep you cool. 

• Upvote 1

As for cities I haven't been to that appeal, it's hard because I enjoy discovering places I know nothing about.

I reckon I'd dig Bergen in Norway, visiting the Fjords and tiny islands nearby. Kathmandu seems mysterious and beautiful. I think a huge African city like Nairobi or Kinshasa would be an eye opener too. 

The best cities I have been to that spring to mind are Florence, Vilnius, Luang Prabang, Krakow, San Francisco and Edinburgh. All for very different reasons though they are all beautiful. 

Just remembered something boss about Saigon. They have a curfew so all the bars are supposed to close at midnight but they want to keep on making money so stay open. Police patrol the streets so the bars employ spotters to watch out and when they come near everyone has to shut up and they turn the lights off and in some cases hide us all in a nearby apartment. I found the experience a thrilling and unexpected amusement to getting smashed. I think our bar eventually got caught and once the bribe was paid we got back on with it. 

Spent 3 weeks in Perth last Christmas. The city itself is no different from any other modern city I've been too. The surrounding area is lovely, loads of great beaches and coastal towns. My brother in-law lives there, his commute to work is 3 hours on an airplane. The sheer size of the place is hard to phantom. I'd say it's a great place to live but I wouldn't recommend visiting unless you have friends or family. 

Buenos Aires is a city I'd love to see.

29 minutes ago, Remmie said:

As for cities I haven't been to that appeal, it's hard because I enjoy discovering places I know nothing about.

I reckon I'd dig Bergen in Norway, visiting the Fjords and tiny islands nearby. Kathmandu seems mysterious and beautiful. I think a huge African city like Nairobi or Kinshasa would be an eye opener too. 

The best cities I have been to that spring to mind are Florence, Vilnius, Luang Prabang, Krakow, San Francisco and Edinburgh. All for very different reasons though they are all beautiful. 

Bergen is great. As are the surrounding fjords. And the Flam railway. Take an umbrella though. It constantly pissed down when I went and usually does, apparently. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Portland, Oregon. Not right now of-course but I've always had a hard on for the place. 

Osaka. I've been to Tokyo (Would love to go back) but Osaka is definitely on the list. I love Japanese culture and this place is meant to be a heaven for food lovers. 

Medellin, Colombia. Just to have a nose around where Escobar and his lot would have run the streets. 

Portland's ace. It's motto is 'Keep Portland Wierd' - which it certainly is in places. Some of the suburbs are fantastic for the variety of different food and locally-produced wine is like nothing else. It's the birthplace of food pods - collections of little trucks doing food and drink from around the world. I hired a mountain bike for the day and went exploring in the hills above the city - it's amazing how you can be lost in a rainforest just 20 minutes pedal out of the city. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trumo said:

Havana

Tbilisi

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

All still have this old-school charm about them.

Due to the influx of big money and big business especially from China and Korea , HCMC is disappearing under skyscrapers and shopping malls. The backpacker area around Bui Vien is more like Magaluf East.

The beach towns are inundated with huge American style resorts, Nha Trang and Danang but even the lovely Hoi An has had multiple resorts hotels built in the last 18 months.

The old quarter in Hanoi is more old school, but if you want old style Vietnam you'll need to go to places you've never heard of

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Portland, Oregon. Not right now of-course but I've always had a hard on for the place. 

Osaka. I've been to Tokyo (Would love to go back) but Osaka is definitely on the list. I love Japanese culture and this place is meant to be a heaven for food lovers. 

Medellin, Colombia. Just to have a nose around where Escobar and his lot would have run the streets. 

I spent a few days in Medellin in the late 90s.

Was Columbia in a nutshell. Extremely beautiful, mad as a box of frogs, a little scary, loads of coke. People very friendly

Got off the bus at the bus station about4 in the morning and there were loads of armed guards with submachine guns and shotguns stopping from moving until dawn and then the first 2 hotels I tried were burnt to the ground

Antioqua is lovely, though. Earthquakes

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Em City said:

Same here.

I took a career break a couple of years ago and got a job in a Jewish summer camp in Pennsylvania. I was lucky enough to land one a few miles away from a charming little town called Milford, PA. Old historical buildings, white pickets fences and a big waterfall within walking distance, I was totally enraptured.

Fast forward a year later and my best mate met an American girl on a volunteer trip to Puerto Rico. They ended up going out and it turns out she grew up only about 20 km away from the same town.

It's mad how small this world can be.

What exactly is a Jewish summer camp?

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What exactly is a Jewish summer camp?

A summer camp predominantly populated by Jewish kids.

Kosher meals, Shabbat services on Friday, a good deal of staff that were former IDF. It was an interesting experience.

2 minutes ago, Em City said:

A summer camp predominantly populated by Jewish kids.

Kosher meals, Shabbat services on Friday, a good deal of staff that were former IDF. It was an interesting experience.

The US parents seem obsessed with sending their kids to some form of camp or other. Seems a weird phenomenon to me.

4 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Due to the influx of big money and big business especially from China and Korea , HCMC is disappearing under skyscrapers and shopping malls. The backpacker area around Bui Vien is more like Magaluf East.

The beach towns are inundated with huge American style resorts, Nha Trang and Danang but even the lovely Hoi An has had multiple resorts hotels built in the last 18 months.

The old quarter in Hanoi is more old school, but if you want old style Vietnam you'll need to go to places you've never heard of

That's a real shame to hear about Hoi An, it was a lovely, charming place when I was there. My favourite place in Vietnam was outside Ninh Binh around the Lying Dragon Mountain. Stunning place.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The US parents seem obsessed with sending their kids to some form of camp or other. Seems a weird phenomenon to me.

No argument there. Most kids were there for four weeks but a good portion were there for 8 which is pretty mental when you consider most people would backpack for that amount of time. You would have to imagine there are a lot of abandonment issues.

19 minutes ago, Em City said:

No argument there. Most kids were there for four weeks but a good portion were there for 8 which is pretty mental when you consider most people would backpack for that amount of time. You would have to imagine there are a lot of abandonment issues.

Probably why a few turn into massive cunts. Add guns to the mix and its not a healthy situation.

10 hours ago, Moo said:

Not anywhere specific and not a city but I've always wanted to visit small towns in America, they fascinate me.

Same here. 

The dream is to spend a month or so driving around the US.  Obviously take in New York, maybe Nashville and Memphis as well.