You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random cities you've always wanted to visit

Section_31

Always fancied seeing Perth in Australia, isn't it the most remote city in the world or something? I read somewhere it's closer to Singapore than it is to any other Australian city. The idea of this big, modern city surrounded by thousands of miles of desert is mad.

Pyongyang. I know I'll never go but would love to, I imagine everywhere indoors looking like the sets from Prisoner cell block H.

Seattle, based purely on the view from Frazier's apartment. 

My old work wanted me to relocate to Perth once. Quite fancied being on the other side of the world for a bit but I think they meant long term and it's near fucking nothing. Can't see the gig scene being any good. Would have only known the people I was already working with as well. Anyway, they fucked up currency conversion prices on the tender so we didn't get it. 

Portland, Oregon. Not right now of-course but I've always had a hard on for the place. 

Osaka. I've been to Tokyo (Would love to go back) but Osaka is definitely on the list. I love Japanese culture and this place is meant to be a heaven for food lovers. 

Medellin, Colombia. Just to have a nose around where Escobar and his lot would have run the streets. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Portland, Oregon. Not right now of-course but I've always had a hard on for the place. 

Osaka. I've been to Tokyo (Would love to go back) but Osaka is definitely on the list. I love Japanese culture and this place is meant to be a heaven for food lovers. 

Medellin, Colombia. Just to have a nose around where Escobar and his lot would have run the streets. 

Osaka is great, like going to Manchester/Liverpool it’s a city which defines itself as ‘not Tokyo’.

I love Osaka and if/when I move to Japan it’d definitely be in ‘the list’

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Same here. I've always wanted to drive along deserted roads visiting towns in the middle of nowhere.

It’s a real American myth.

I ‘did’ a lot of the West Coast a few year back and the vast, vast majority is shite identikit towns. 

Some of it is amazing, and genuinely stunning, but the small towns are small towns and populated by small town people with small town people ideas, much like everywhere I assume.

If you do it plan well in advance. 

30 minutes ago, Mook said:

San Sebastian - meant to be amazing

San Diego - I know two people there & they're really sound

Zermatt - not a city but I've always wanted to see The Matterhorn

I’ve wanted to visit San Sebastián since John Aldridge signed for Real Sociedad, but have never got round to it. My wife’s grandparents went there in the sixties. No one they knew had heard of it but they loved it.

28 minutes ago, Moo said:

Not anywhere specific and not a city but I've always wanted to visit small towns in America, they fascinate me.

Same here.

I took a career break a couple of years ago and got a job in a Jewish summer camp in Pennsylvania. I was lucky enough to land one a few miles away from a charming little town called Milford, PA. Old historical buildings, white pickets fences and a big waterfall within walking distance, I was totally enraptured.

Fast forward a year later and my best mate met an American girl on a volunteer trip to Puerto Rico. They ended up going out and it turns out she grew up only about 20 km away from the same town.

It's mad how small this world can be.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s a real American myth.

I ‘did’ a lot of the West Coast a few year back and the vast, vast majority is shite identikit towns. 

Some of it is amazing, and genuinely stunning, but the small towns are small towns and populated by small town people with small town people ideas, much like everywhere I assume.

If you do it plan well in advance. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Florence after reading a few books on the renaissance and the Medici. I also read a book about the Monster of Florence which, being about a serial killer, you would think would put me off a bit but it only made me want to go even more. 

Absolutely stunning place isn't it mate albeit very busy in the centre with all the tourists. 

• Upvote 1