You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Aug 26-31 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Wednesday Aug 26:

I knew it!!! I said didn’t I? I said I’d bet everything I owned that Maguire used the words “do you know who I am?” during the incident with the Greek coppers, and lo and behold, it’s being reported that he did (doesn’t mean it’s true of course, but I’m still claiming this small victory). He also allegedly said “I’m the captain of Manchester United. I’m very rich. I can pay you. Please let us go”.

This whole story gets funnier each day though. His defence is that he thought he was being kidnapped by the plain clothes coppers. Jesus, that’s his worst bit of defending since the Sevilla game a couple of weeks back. 

Not as bad as old Hank Winter though. Mr England had this to say: “‘Those with any familiarity with Greek tragedy will recall the story of Achilles, who avoided the fighting until a loved one was injured and his subsequent actions ultimately caused his own downfall. Few will wish to paint Maguire in a heroic light, although his desire to protect Daisy, whom his legal team claimed was attacked by Albanian gangsters, is admirable and typical of the man.’ 

Jesus Christ. Few would want to paint him in a heroic light, yet you compare him to fucking Achilles and call him admirable!!!!

He wasn’t done there though; ‘at the very least, and pending any new evidence provided during the resumption of the legal process, Maguire is guilty of folly’. “Folly” hahaha I don’t even know where to start, other than to say I think Winter might just be the only man connected with football to ever use that word. Posh cunt. 

Fucking hell. For the record, he was also found guilty of assault, four counts of bribery and resisting arrest. Does all that come under “folly” then?

Winter is almost as out of touch with reality as Maguire’s lawyers, who actually claimed he was in Mykonos because he is “keen on the ancient Greek culture”. He ran up a bar bill of 63 grand!! He’s hardly Michael Palin is he?

This whole story is fucking hilarious, but the funniest part of all is the big hitters from the English press all falling over themselves to defend him and write articles that are little more than character references for Maguire while hammering the Greek police. You have to wonder what they’ve been promised. Probably guaranteed exclusive interviews with him and any other United players they choose. 

United’s PR advisor is Neil Ashton, formerly of the Mail and no doubt good buddies with all these bootlickers expressing their outrage at how Saint Harry has been treated.

Also today, reports that Gini isn’t being offered a new deal and may well be ‘sacrificed’ this summer so we can get Thiago in. It makes sense in some ways but not in others. Firstly, why is he not being offered a new deal? Milner got one and much as that made me happy, I can’t say that it made more sense to extend him and not Gini. Secondly, how come Gini seems completely relaxed about the whole thing and is still doing interviews talking about the upcoming season as though everything is normal?

Until today though all the Thiago talk had been coming from the German end and seemingly out of the Bayern dressing room. This is the first time one of the LFC beat writers has given it any real credence and because of that I’m going to have to finally start taking this seriously I guess. Thiago is nothing like Gini as a player, so if Klopp is planing on swapping one for the other it surely means a tweaking - or an evolving - of our style. It’s going to be interesting to see how all this plays out, but I’ll be honest, I really don’t want to see Gini go.

More on this Messi thing. Yesterday he told Barca he wants to quit and apparently it’s because Koeman told him “no more privileges”. I assume he means no more walking around and not bothering to close anyone down, as well as no more picking which players they buy and sell. Messi and Suarez were instrumental in tapping up Coutinho don’t forget. 

From reading up on all this a bit more today I now think he’s staying put and this whole thing is a political move to force the president out. And if the president goes, Koeman will too. He’s only been there a couple of days and he’s under fire by the press already for alienating Suarez and Messi. Nothing he can’t handle though, it’s not like when he had that red Crimbo tree for example. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Great diary, Dave. 

With regards to Wijnaldum, nobody seems to know what’s going on. He’s not getting a contract because he’s asked too much ? That’s not the way it works, is it ? It’s all négociations ongoing, time, and many issues involved, right ?

Stay away from Twitter indeed and get back to what you belong, working on the new issue of the fanzine. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, it was for a shootout in the league cup final against City that Sarri tried to replace Kepa with Caballero. Kepa refused to come off and Sarri looked like he wanted to throttle him. It looked like it would have been a good decision as Kepa ended up somehow diving over a really saveable penalty and they ended up losing the shootout

• Upvote 1

Great report Dave - I’ve seen Vincent Kompany had a pop at there being no documentary for City winning their first title in 40 odd years.

it would be a very short documentary- won the league - 40 years later won the lottery - won the league again. No one cares the end.

• Upvote 9

About time someone called the Soccer Saturday gang out for what they are. The thing that had me laughing about them, was how, in the media and twitter, there was a lot of angst about three 'middle aged men' being sacked, and that was before the discussion of the gender and colour of who may or may not be replacing them.

Middle fucking aged? Thommo? Charlie Nicholas? What age are they expected to live to 120-140? They'd all passed their best before date, and Sky walked themselves into this problem by not moving them on years ago and keeping the personnel on there relevant and relatable. the audience is ever changing, but when the old fogies on the show are the same again and again, it's only going to cause problems.

Also loving the popcorn viewing analysis on Barcelona's current predicament. The bully really loves it when served what it usually hands out, itself. Fuck them.

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic