You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC: The 30-Year Wait

1892-LFCWasBorn

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

The two last year of Houllier were dire, we were so poor, so many strange decisions ! Football under Houllier was horrible, let’s not forget that even though he brought silverware and modernity off the pitch.

He did all the work behind the scenes for France winning the 98 World Cup don’t forget. 

Thought this was brilliant. Random thoughts:

Houllier was great until his heart attack. 2001 is still possibly my favourite season (well apart from the one just gone). 

Evans, Houllier, Rafa, Rodgers - with a  bit more fortune all really could (should?) have won a league each. 

I know a lot of the players said he was cold, but Rafa always came across as very friendly to me. Maybe it was just later on in his life. Is he still in China?? 

Nice to see a bit of a spotlight on Barnes.

Michael Owen came across very well and you know what he always does IMO. His interview with Carragher on that podcast was brilliant. 

There must have been some rewriting of history from Parry and Ayre! Didn't we have another chief exec after Party and before Ayre? 

I wish I was as articulate, thoughtful, smart and funny as Klopp. It's not even his first language but he always says the right thing about everything. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Thought this was brilliant. Random thoughts:

Houllier was great until his heart attack. 2001 is still possibly my favourite season (well apart from the one just gone). 

Evans, Houllier, Rafa, Rodgers - with a  bit more fortune all really could (should?) have won a league each. 

I know a lot of the players said he was cold, but Rafa always came across as very friendly to me. Maybe it was just later on in his life. Is he still in China?? 

Nice to see a bit of a spotlight on Barnes.

Michael Owen came across very well and you know what he always does IMO. His interview with Carragher on that podcast was brilliant. 

There must have been some rewriting of history from Parry and Ayre! Didn't we have another chief exec after Party and before Ayre? 

I wish I was as articulate, thoughtful, smart and funny as Klopp. It's not even his first language but he always says the right thing about everything. 

Yep, Id agree with all that.  Ive always thought we should have had about 4 PL titles by now but for one reason or another, we obviously didnt manage that. I still cannot believe we went 30 years. Strangely enough, 2014 feels a lot close a miss to me than 2019. I dont know why, maybe because city were not as strong as they back in 2014?

Must admit Jurgen did not look a man under pressure to deliver the title. He seems so laid back despite being very focused. The night we won it, the emotion coming out of the man showed the pressure he clearly felt at ending the drought.

Before Parry we had Peter Robinson who effectively ran the administration side of the club.

One other thing - that's the first time I'd seen the Real Madrid final since it happened. I still can't believe Salah went off LIKE THAT. 

BUT... Christ, those goals. I'd forgotten Karius rolled the ball to Benzema about three yards from the goal. Fucking hell. A Sunday league goalie wouldn't have had a worse game. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

One other thing - that's the first time I'd seen the Real Madrid final since it happened. I still can't believe Salah went off LIKE THAT. 

BUT... Christ, those goals. I'd forgotten Karius rolled the ball to Benzema about three yards from the goal. Fucking hell. A Sunday league goalie wouldn't have had a worse game. 

Concussion! 

5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

He did all the work behind the scenes for France winning the 98 World Cup don’t forget. 

I would not agree on that , he managed to get France out the WC  94, needing 1 point from two home games vs Israel and Bulgaria.

He failed hard with France.

10 hours ago, skaro said:

Ha! I remember Ray singing on Top of the Pops with The Kinks and a great big glob of snot fell out of his nose just as the camera was doing a close up shot. I think he was singing Dedicated follower of fashion. My favourite is Come Dancing but they had some fantastic songs.

Kids with their shite rapping and crap that passes for songs cannot hold a candle to the groups of the 60's and 70's. There was some fucking great music in them days. Not like the utter dross now where the girls virtually have to get their tits out and spread their legs to have a hit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ha! I remember Ray singing on Top of the Pops with The Kinks and a great big glob of snot fell out of his nose just as the camera was doing a close up shot. I think he was singing Dedicated follower of fashion. My favourite is Come Dancing but they had some fantastic songs.

Kids with their shite rapping and crap that passes for songs cannot hold a candle to the groups of the 60's and 70's. There was some fucking great music in them days. Not like the utter dross now where the girls virtually have to get their tits out and spread their legs to have a hit.

I agree, but how to explain Ray Davies or Paul Mc Cartney wrote so many good songs in the 60 and 70’, but they  have also made utter garbage since, especially Ray ?

• Upvote 1

Finally got round to watching this and just finished. My eyes are a bit moist. 

that was well done overall and told the story of the 30 years (and more) well, but I’d have loved the time under Klopp to have had more time allotted, especially the coming so close the year prior.

saying “they only lost one game all season and that was to city” didn’t tell the story of the season at all. The belief that grew in the fans and the players when compared to the “nearly’s” we had under Evans, Rafa and Rodgers was so different.

the start we had to last season was the continuation of that belief. This title started during the second half of that season, and it would have been nice to see more focus on that, and how we pushed and pushed and pushed but city didn’t relent.

overall though, a belting but of telly.

one small thing (though not small to those involved) it was surprising to see the words “39 Italian football fans were killed” when they finished the piece on Heysel. Sloppy that.

I watched this last night too.

I actually think they included too much pre-90s stuff. It was almost 1/3 of the running time. You need a bit of context to show the viewer what the club was like before then, and why it was a winning machine, but it meant they breezed through a lot of the stuff that was more relevant to the club's downturn. Not enough focus on why results and performances tailed off after the odd season of getting people's hopes up. This approach would be more fitting to the programme's title.

And yes, the caption about 39 Italians was jarring in its inaccuracy. "39 football supporters" or "39 Juventus fans" would have sufficed.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Finally got round to watching this and just finished. My eyes are a bit moist. 

that was well done overall and told the story of the 30 years (and more) well, but I’d have loved the time under Klopp to have had more time allotted, especially the coming so close the year prior.

saying “they only lost one game all season and that was to city” didn’t tell the story of the season at all. The belief that grew in the fans and the players when compared to the “nearly’s” we had under Evans, Rafa and Rodgers was so different.

the start we had to last season was the continuation of that belief. This title started during the second half of that season, and it would have been nice to see more focus on that, and how we pushed and pushed and pushed but city didn’t relent.

overall though, a belting but of telly.

one small thing (though not small to those involved) it was surprising to see the words “39 Italian football fans were killed” when they finished the piece on Heysel. Sloppy that.

After we beat City in 2014, I felt certain we'd win the title.