You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC: The 30-Year Wait

1892-LFCWasBorn

Rick Parry also shifting the blame for Gerrard wanting to go to Chelsea. 

Two sides to every story but in Gerrard's autobiography he said he wanted to sort out a new contract yet Parry dragged his feet and would regularly turn his phone off. Also Parry fucked him around after Istanbul and didnt make him feel needed or wanted when he wanted to sit down and sort his future out. 

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

He was alright Speedie. I always thought he was a dangerous player at Chelsea whenever I watched him play.

You don't realise how both successful and turbulent our history is sometimes. Seeing it all condensed like that was a stark reminder of just how much we have gone through.

I was never a fan of Houllier for some reason. He just didn't click for me, even though we had a successful little period under him. I think I speak for most fans when I say i was incredulous at him offloading Litmanen, Fowler and Anelka for Diouf and Cheyrou. I still can't believe it to this day.

Agree with you on Houllier, can’t stand him. He did good things though obviously but he had a very  big ego. 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Two sides to every story but in Gerrard's autobiography he said he wanted to sort out a new contract yet Parry dragged his feet and would regularly turn his phone off. Also Parry fucked him around after Istanbul and didnt make him feel needed or wanted when he wanted to sit down and sort his future out. 

I think there's 2 sides to that story. Apparently after winning in Istanbul parry and Gerrard agreed to sort the contract. Quite normal practice if a contract needed renewing in those days they'd agree towards the end of the season if it was to be renewed and over the summer the club would prepare an offer and the club, agent and player would meet once training restarted and everyone was back from holiday. If the club didn't want to extend, a players agent could try and find somewhere new in the summer break for the player to go and find a new club. 

Gerrard thought the club should be desperate to get him signed after what had happened the summer before with Chelsea, so was expecting a response through the summer. When it didn't arrive and the agent chased without success, he ok'd his agent to speak to Chelsea and then submitted his transfer request when he returned to training. 

Personally I think it was a case of parry was too casual because he assumed after winning the European cup Gerrard wouldn't go anywhere and Gerrard thought the club should have an offer in a heartbeat. But both of them, for fucks sake. 

In my walk of life, if you want to retain someone's services the golden rule I apply is don't let that person get their head turned. Never make them so unhappy that they look to see if the grass is greener elsewhere, because sometimes once someone starts looking they set their heart on it and it's hard to go back. Now I realise even in my industry that's not normal, some people just don't care. I don't know how it works in football, but people are people so I would fully expect behaviour not to be too different with the added difficulty of the ego's footballer must have. So to me parry wants fucking for verbally agreeing things with people and then thinking "what we need now is 6 weeks holiday". Equally though, both Gerrard and his agent knew how parry worked, so there was no need to be such drama queens about it all because they couldn't get hold of him while he was enjoying sandy lane. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was this the period where Parry went to the cinema and couldn't be reached during a crucial point of the negotiations? Or there was that time he went on a goalkeeper training course to the Bahamas during the summer and Rafa lost out on key targets because the CEO was on holiday. 

27 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Was this the period where Parry went to the cinema and couldn't be reached during a crucial point of the negotiations? Or there was that time he went on a goalkeeper training course to the Bahamas during the summer and Rafa lost out on key targets because the CEO was on holiday. 

I think both happened at some point, probably the Bahamas one when Rafa was trying to sort out targets. 

After he left, me and my mates were having a pint outside the Slug and Lettuce in town. Parry walked past pulling a small suitcase, his phone went off and he answered it. One lad said loudly "Fucking hell he actually answers his phone" and he turned round and gave us a death stare. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think both happened at some point, probably the Bahamas one when Rafa was trying to sort out targets. 

After he left, me and my mates were having a pint outside the Slug and Lettuce in town. Parry walked past pulling a small suitcase, his phone went off and he answered it. One lad said loudly "Fucking hell he actually answers his phone" and he turned round and gave us a death stare. 

Stuff like that was probably why he looked so uncomfortable when I slowed down to ask someone for directions, apparently near where he lives. I just carried on when I saw who it was.

38 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

It could have been worse. Could have done with less Michael Owen, less Ian Ayre, 100% less Tony Evans and more about the Klopp era in general, and specifically how the failings of 2015-18 made the subsequent successes possible.

I liked the fact it went back in time. I liked how it showed the power in football we used to be, because there's loads of kids who don't know that Liverpool. Every man and his dog have pushed a modern version of this, I thought it was really good - and actually could have benefitted from 30 more minutes . 

Agree with less Owen and Tony Evans. I thought they should have done more with Ayre as he was around right through that whole h&g era, was their best performer in that period and then went on to be CEO. I'd have liked some Kenny and modern souness too. 

11 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I still cant believe that Tony Evans is a journalist for a national newspaper. He just seems like someone who would be on the Anfield Wrap or Redmen TV.

He used to be sports editor at the times didn't he? Astonishing. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I liked the fact it went back in time. I liked how it showed the power in football we used to be, because there's loads of kids who don't know that Liverpool. Every man and his dog have pushed a modern version of this, I thought it was really good - and actually could have benefitted from 30 more minutes . 

Agree with less Owen and Tony Evans. I thought they should have done more with Ayre as he was around right through that whole h&g era, was their best performer in that period and then went on to be CEO. I'd have liked some Kenny and modern souness too. 

He used to be sports editor at the times didn't he? Astonishing. 

Yes, a few years ago. 

At the time hearing that Houllier went into the dressing room after the CHampions LEague Final really pissed me off, now I've mellowed a lot more, he can have a partial credit.

Agree with many previous comments about Tony Evans, there is just somehting about him that irks me.  Getting the 'professional scouser' vibe from him.  Couldn't they have got Peter Hooton instead?

• Upvote 1

Loved that. So much happened in the 30 years, mad the things you forget. Never seen or certainly don't remember Houllier's rant and subsequent storming off. Don't remember Gerrards press conference to announce he was staying either, that looked I'll advised. 

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

Loved that. So much happened in the 30 years, mad the things you forget. Never seen or certainly don't remember Houllier's rant and subsequent storming off. Don't remember Gerrards press conference to announce he was staying either, that looked I'll advised. 

Ha, regarding Ged's rant and storming off, if I remember right, Coco had started the proceedings by saying this was 'Gerard's day'!

I heard some say that we won't hear the last of it if we win the title, I've seen people who say to me aren't you celebrating? I am inside without jumping up and down singing like a loon, I'm extremely proud of it as I always was and will be if anymore come our way but I'm not sure why the programme was made although I missed I would of liked to have seen it as with all LFC matters, it's not as if we've a divine right to be champions, like any other club, and I think it's all a bit over the top. 

Yes it's a milestone for LFC and fans and for them only, I'm not sure if any other footy fan can be arsed with it all as with Man Utd some years ago, then Mourinho and Chelsea and the media saturation, so I hope we don't go down that road. 

The shitless of modern football perhaps? I much prefer the days of Man Utd grab the headlines Liverpool grab the title. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Think he knew he was toast by then, hadn't Parry been in contact with Rafa (and Mourinho)  around March time?

Id have imagined Coco had. I liked Ged but he really should shut it with the 'it was my team' shit about the 2005 CL final.

I can only think the King didnt feature much because he didnt want to be seen as stealing Jurgen's glory. Pity Ged didnt act the same way with Rafa's!

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Id have imagined Coco had. I liked Ged but he really should shut it with the 'it was my team' shit about the 2005 CL final.

I can only think the King didnt feature much because he didnt want to be seen as stealing Jurgen's glory. Pity Ged didnt act the same way with Rafa's!

Yes I imagine Kenny probably thought that way and rightly so. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The two last year of Houllier were dire, we were so poor, so many strange decisions ! Football under Houllier was horrible, let’s not forget that even though he brought silverware and modernity off the pitch.

• Upvote 1