You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC: The 30-Year Wait

1892-LFCWasBorn

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought it was one of the best there's been on this. Some stand out thing, houllier looks either ill or about 90! And where was Kenny, because he should have absolutely been involved 

I enjoyed it too and agree on your points.

Ged looks really old and the lack of Kenny’s input was obvious and the only really issue I had with the show.

And yes it reaffirmed my crush on Jurgen. 

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

I enjoyed it too and agree on your points.

Ged looks really old and the lack of Kenny’s input was obvious and the only really issue I had with the show.

And yes it reaffirmed my crush on Jurgen. 

I'd have liked souness on there too to be honest (up to date souness, not those old clips), although I guess he doesn't want to say "I was the one who broke it"

And yes, houllier didn't look great. I thought ill more than old. 

Still pisses me off the way they go on about “Rafa’s rant” like it had some major bearing on the title and playing into Fergie’s shite mind games .
He made that press conference on 9th Jan and between then and the end of the season we lost one game and ended up winning 11 out of the last 12 games so we hardly crumbled but I guess that doesn’t fit the narrative.
What cost us the league that season were too many draws at home to the likes of Stoke, Hull , Fulham and West Ham all before Christmas .

if anyone was getting rattled it was Whisky Nose by resorting to get Fat Sam to try and create an issue over Rafa and the “game over” hand gesture

• Upvote 5

Enjoyed that overall.  

A bit too much Tony Evans as a spokesperson for the fans mind. There's something about him which rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. I see he's been at it again on Twitter accusing some of the other people that took part as being fake. Wonder who he's referring to there...

Might not be popular, but I also thought that Rodgers came off well and was very gracious towards Jurgen and the club. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Not really mentioned that much any more...but this was a massive moment...

That was one of the best days on the site. Following what the case in London with Dougie (Mick) I think down there and giving us additional info on what was going on as he was sitting behind Purslow et al. Lord Grabiner, what a fucking legend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, markcd said:

Roy Evans still looks great and he's 71 to Ged's 72. He still seems pretty pissed off with the way he was treated though

Don't blame Roy to be fair. He was hung out to dry. 

To be manager for 4 years and then have another guy brought in to co-manage the team. Imagine Ferguson or Wenger, even Houllier himself going along with that. It's unthinkable. It said everything about why Roy wasn't the right man to lead the team. 

Roy should have walked as soon as it was proposed but the co-manager compromise kind of represents what the club was about under Moores - reluctant to break from the past and too cowardly to make the difficult calls. Moores had his heart in the right place, but more than anybody he's responsible for the 30 year wait. He got off very, very lightly in that documentary. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Not really mentioned that much any more...but this was a massive moment...

That was the same day those Chilean miners were rescued.  The joke at the time was "I switched the news on and saw loads of miners and Scousers celebrating.  I assumed Thatcher had died."

• Upvote 4

Just finished watching The 30 Year Wait. Had me in floods of tears. First tears of despair, tragedy, failure and then tears of joy at the end.

It was a long hard slog that 30 years. Not one of those cups made up for the despair of not being champions. The two CL wins eased it a little.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stickman said:

Still pisses me off the way they go on about “Rafa’s rant” like it had some major bearing on the title and playing into Fergie’s shite mind games .
He made that press conference on 9th Jan and between then and the end of the season we lost one game and ended up winning 11 out of the last 12 games so we hardly crumbled but I guess that doesn’t fit the narrative.
What cost us the league that season were too many draws at home to the likes of Stoke, Hull , Fulham and West Ham all before Christmas .

if anyone was getting rattled it was Whisky Nose by resorting to get Fat Sam to try and create an issue over Rafa and the “game over” hand gesture

I was happy with the “rant” at the time and I still agree with it now.  Fergie was a cunt and had been controlling referees and the media for years.  Loads of managers were up his arse as well because he was a bully.  The problem came from Rafa’s shithouse negative tactics.  We drew a load of games after the rant because he wouldn’t let players off the leash and was doing his stupid rotation of players.  He completely bottled that position there’s no doubt about it but it had nothing to do with the “rant” in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed it too but I did wonder where Kenny was. Was good to see Ged and Rafa. I agree, Ged did look old (or ill).

I didn’t think Rodgers was that great, he was still trying to big himself up! Something about how he got the best out of Suarez!

33 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

If we had won the title that year, his detractors would have been nowhere to be seen. As we didnt, it attracted criticism like flies round shit.

I've always thought much the same about the white suits - if we'd won, nobody would have mocked them.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd have liked souness on there too to be honest (up to date souness, not those old clips), although I guess he doesn't want to say "I was the one who broke it"

And yes, houllier didn't look great. I thought ill more than old. 

To be fair to Souness it was a lot more complicated than that. I think he loved the club more than the modern footballer did, many of which were shit, signed by Kenny who had been through a hell of a lot. Combined with the rise of United too.

i completely blame the players for Evans not winning the league too, a true gent who had Liverpool running through his veins.

8 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

To be fair to Souness it was a lot more complicated than that. I think he loved the club more than the modern footballer did, many of which were shit, signed by Kenny who had been through a hell of a lot. Combined with the rise of United too.

i completely blame the players for Evans not winning the league too, a true gent who had Liverpool running through his veins.

There were some honest comments by Parry I think it was or was it Tony Evans, we got left behind at the start of the PL 'era.' I still cannot believe we were the first English team to wear a sponsored shirt then did relatively fuck all as far as sponsorship was concerned, seemingly believing it was beneath us.

Souey the manager, always struck me as trying too hard. He clearly wasnt helped by the likes of Houghton who wanted to go to west ham of all places.