You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi

Bjornebye

Messi wanting to leave Barca for a club like City makes me sick to be honest. I get he wants to leave a club that is a total shambles and run by amateurs that make Bill Kenwright look like a genius. I understand he wants to spend the last few years of his career challenging for the top prizes. But to move to a shitbag club like City is disgusting. At first I thought Barca were being cunts for forcing him to stay. But if him leaving means going to City then by all means, force him to see out his contract and get one last year out of him. 

Asking myself who are the bigger cunts Barca or Messi I would have to say Barca.  It would seem they reneged on a promise to let him leave at the end of the season and given what he has done for the club it does seem wrong.  Keeping your main man , who is totally pissed off , for another year after all this seems crazy given they need a complete re-build . Anyway fuck the lot of them .

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Asking myself who are the bigger cunts Barca or Messi I would have to say Barca.  It would seem they reneged on a promise to let him leave at the end of the season and given what he has done for the club it does seem wrong.  Keeping your main man , who is totally pissed off , for another year after all this seems crazy given they need a complete re-build . Anyway fuck the lot of them .

Don’t agree with that all. 

They’ve paid him nearly £800k a week net for years. They owe him fuck all apart from his stupid salary. 

Would you have wanted us to give Gerrard a free in 04? 

Of fucking course not. 

The whole #FreeMessi thing is embarrassing but he's in damned if you do, damned if you don't territory. He's just said he's been wanting to leave and basically called the club incompetent, yet people still think he's just looking for more money and that he won't test himself somewhere else. Not exactly fair criticism is it. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The whole #FreeMessi thing is embarrassing but he's in damned if you do, damned if you don't territory. He's just said he's been wanting to leave and basically called the club incompetent, yet people still think he's just looking for more money and that he won't test himself somewhere else. Not exactly fair criticism is it. 

He's absolved himself of all blame. He's says the club have no strategy yet he's been picking players for them to sign for 3 years. He decides if the coach stays or goes. If he's so concerned he could use €800,000 of his weekly salary to pay 3 top players to run around and still have more money than Mane and Salah combined. And finally he could have told the club on June 10th he wanted to leave.  In summary, fuck him the petulant little cunt. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

He's absolved himself of all blame. He's says the club have no strategy yet he's been picking players for them to sign for 3 years. He decides if the coach stays or goes. If he's so concerned he could use €800,000 of his weekly salary to pay 3 top players to run around and still have more money than Mane and Salah combined. And finally he could have told the club on June 10th he wanted to leave.  In summary, fuck him the petulant little cunt. 

He's not picking the players. It's well known he didn't want them to sign Griezmann. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's not picking the players. It's well known he didn't want them to sign Griezmann. 

Even that, it shouldn't be well known, hardly ideal for Griezmann to know the star man doesn't want you and all the fans know it. He's a player, he gets picked to play with 10 others, that should be it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Don’t agree with that all. 

They’ve paid him nearly £800k a week net for years. They owe him fuck all apart from his stupid salary. 

Would you have wanted us to give Gerrard a free in 04? 

Of fucking course not. 

If Gerrard had had been promised a free and wanted to leave of course we would have reluctantly let him go .

I agree he has earned a fortune at Barca but my point was the club reneged on an agreement using the small print in his contract. 

22 minutes ago, magicrat said:

If Gerrard had had been promised a free and wanted to leave of course we would have reluctantly let him go .

I agree he has earned a fortune at Barca but my point was the club reneged on an agreement using the small print in his contract. 

It’s not ‘small print’. 

If Messi wanted to leave the club on a free then he had to inform them in writing by the 10th June. 

He didn’t. 

Unless it’s a formal contractual agreement, there is no way Barca should be letting Messi go on a free.

Especially when the club trying to sign him has unlimited funds.

I’d maybe have viewed it differently if he wanted to go back to Argentina. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

It’s not ‘small print’. 

If Messi wanted to leave the club on a free then he had to inform them in writing by the 10th June. 

He didn’t. 

10 days after the CL final I understand which of course was put back due to covid.  No doubt Messi fucked up on his dates and has now been advised legally he is fucked but the club have reneged on the spirit of that agreement.

As far as I'm concerned they deserve each other but I do think the club look bigger cunts than Messi over this dispute.

12 minutes ago, magicrat said:

10 days after the CL final I understand which of course was put back due to covid.  No doubt Messi fucked up on his dates and has now been advised legally he is fucked but the club have reneged on the spirit of that agreement.

As far as I'm concerned they deserve each other but I do think the club look bigger cunts than Messi over this dispute.

No chance. 

• Upvote 2

Neither Barcelona nor Messi have covered themselves in glory with this episode, but I can see why the supposed 10th June date poses a problem and asks questions of both sides.

Normally, the season would be over by 10th June. However, the league had yet to resume by that date after the lockdown. Indeed, Barcelona's first fixture post-lockdown was on 13th June. They still had 11 league games left to play and were well in with a shout of the title. They were top of La Liga at that stage, and were still in the Champions League. He and they would have fancied themselves to win La Liga and properly challenge for another European Cup. It's pretty much what they've been doing for the past decade or so. There was no incentive for either side to rock the boat - Barcelona by reminding Messi, or Messi by putting in a transfer request.

Barcelona didn't need to remind Messi of the cut-off date for a transfer request as it wouldn't have been in their interests to do so. At the very least, Messi's agent (his dad) should have been on top of things, if not the player himself. It's not the first time Messi's dad and advisors haven't checked the fine print. It's what got him and his son into trouble with the Spanish tax authorities a few years ago.

It's probably a bit too late for Messi to change it as it would require him to sign a new contract, but perhaps other players in this situation would find it prudent to have a similar stipulation written into their contracts in a way that is clearer to both sides. Have a fixed date written in, but with a proviso that should the season finish later than that, then the end of the season would be the cut off date. Perhaps up to a week after the season actually ends for the player's club.

As for Barcelona, they can fuck off with their public cry-arsing over a player trying to fuck them over, after their antics in getting prospective signings to do the exact same thing in order to secure a move to the club.

• Upvote 1

Seems to boil down to him not being prepared to leave for a big fee that would have eaten into the600 million he was reputedly getting to play for City and their NY offshoot. 

Just hope no money has changed hands yet. Be a hell of a job chasing it round the Caribbean tax havens