You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi

Bjornebye

I can see both sides of it. 

Barca obviously don’t want to let the greatest player of all time leave. If his main suitors are Citeh or PSG, clubs with infinite wealth, why should they let him leave for free?

Messi wants to leave because of the direction they’ve gone the past couple of years. Barca will never have a bad side but this side obviously isn’t vintage 06-15. 

Neither want to end on bad terms and sour the relationship. Messi will use this performance to, in his mind, ensure better players in pursuit of the CL, Barca will use this as a chance to keep him happy, and if it doesn’t work out, they mutually save face and he leaves. 

18 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Don't forget La Liga. They would be fucked financially if he would have left. Massive pressure from them on Barca/Messi in addition.

Don’t agree with that. The existing TV deals would still run on existing terms and like it or not, the top, top players will always gravitate to Barca or Madrid.

They might not be the quality of 2 of the greatest players of all time, but they’ll be close to being players currently considered the best players in the World (ie Figo, Rivaldo etc).

Future deals might be less, but you could argue than the possibility of enhanced competition makes up for it?

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I reckon he's wanted to pick the manager and possibly the whole board of directors.

Yep. Snivelling fucking coward though. Hasn't got the balls to risk his legacy, so he obviously isn't that arsed about moving. But he still thinks the leadership is a shambles, see. Not so much of a shambles that he wants to push hard for a move, but enough so that he can emotionally blackmail the club and it's fanbase into making the changes that he wants. Mes que un legend.

Honestly. He's a tedious little fucking gnome. Glad he's not going to City like, and it's great fun to witness the #freemessi fume on Twitter, but I really can't stand the entitled little prick. Which is a shame, because he's undoubtedly a great player. I'm just bored of his antics and wanker fanboys justifying it.

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

And a new 2 year extension with a new 2 year contract extension. 

He is 34 at the end of next season, fuck me times flies

Or, hopefully, Laporte is running for President again in 2021 and has said he wants Guardiola back. 

15 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

So whats the over/under (in hundreds of millions) for City's transfer spend this season then? I reckon the sheikh will be itching to show he still has the biggest willy in town, so will spend whatever Abrahmovic did + 50 mil.

Who they gonna sign? I think they’ll keep their powder (mostly) dry to get Messi next year 

I think his current deal has priced him out of the market, even for the likes of City whether they pretend to be above board or not. That's before you take into account whether or not he can leave for free or whether teams have to meet the release clause (or maybe agree a fee with Barcelona). I also think Barcelona have said something about how they protected him from most of the fallout after he lost his tax case and got a prison sentence a few years ago. The insinuation being that should he leave, they'll release all sorts that could get him in trouble again. The big Spanish clubs pull all sorts of shady shit so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility.