You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Still dont think he would have lasted two minutes in Maradona or Pele era, where as with the fitness regime,boots,footballs and new laws they would have run fucking riot now.

I think we are being a bit silly here. Messi was a magnificent player,he is still a very good player but not good enough any more to drag struggling teams out of the shit like he once was. 

Still a magnificent footballer. He'd absolutely destroy the league. I don't want him anywhere near City as those close losses they had last year would be turned into points. He won't miss sitters like Sterling and Jesus frequently do. 

And City will just pay him off with wayward random companys " sponsoring " him. They won't in the slightest be hit on the FFP scale as he probably officially will be on low official wages I'd guess.

It’s only going to be City or PSG if he does leave (and I’m not yet convinced this is anything other than a power play at Barca) so it would come down to who could offer most ‘off the books’ remuneration. £100m personal sponsorship from the South Marina Khalifa Bakery in Qatar.

3fcfdf478de322b25245a75538315445.jpg

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Removal of Botemeau, with whom he doesn’t see eye-to-eye and who he believes has made promises he hasn’t kept.

Problem with that is he's already on a collision course with Ronald koeman . I don't see him staying now that total Barca rebuild is needed

21 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

That's fair. I thought the guy resigned maybe that was someone else or a false report.

Some of the board resigned at an emergency meeting the other night, and there have been calls for a vote of no confidence, but I think he’s still there at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

That's fair. I thought the guy resigned maybe that was someone else or a false report.

Yeah, I think Koeman has been brought in to clear the decks and steady the ship, and Messi doesn’t seem to want him. I suspect this is the last roll of the dice and that he thinks if he can get control of who’s on the board he can control Koeman. 

Or I could be reading it wrong and he’s genuinely cutting ties!

I think he'll go to Juve. He said he liked Ronaldo when they have met at awards and I'm sure the thought of playing with him excites him - a bit like two great bands doing a farewell tour. They have a very strong defence and midfield with an iconic ex-player who will play exciting football. 

I would like to see him with the world cup or the copa america. To be fair, he is in the mix as being the greatest of all time. Hate him at City. He would have been worth an extra 12-15 points to them last season at least and with a fit Laporte and Ake, they will be a different beast if they get him. They aren't as good as us as a team and won't be even with him, but De Bruyne knocking through balls to him and a fit Aguero is a bit scary.

I can see United trying to sign him.

Lionel Messi, 95 goals and 46 assists in La  Liga in the last 3 seasons (103 matches).  Will get found out in the Premier League though for sure.

Going to Man City would be such a lame move for his legacy I would think, no one gives a shit about them. Should go elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I think he'll go to Juve. He said he liked Ronaldo when they have met at awards and I'm sure the thought of playing with him excites him - a bit like two great bands doing a farewell tour. They have a very strong defence and midfield with an iconic ex-player who will play exciting football. 

I would like to see him with the world cup or the copa america. To be fair, he is in the mix as being the greatest of all time. Hate him at City. He would have been worth an extra 12-15 points to them last season at least and with a fit Laporte and Ake, they will be a different beast if they get him. They aren't as good as us as a team and won't be even with him, but De Bruyne knocking through balls to him and a fit Aguero is a bit scary.

I can see United trying to sign him.

You are worried about Ake at City? I personally am glad he signed as I think he is ordinary and wont do that much to change City's defence. Them buying the likes of Koulibaly would have worried me more.

If Messi goes to City we will need 100 points again. Ben Mee and these other yard dogs haven't a patch on the half the dirty street wise cunts in La Liga. He will tear them to pieces.

If he doesn't go to City then we will stroll the thing.

Ederson 

Walker Laporte Ake Mendy 

Rodri Gundongan De Bruyne

Mahrez Aguero Sterling

That is getting quite close to a one man team, lose De Bruyne and that side is average.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are worried about Ake at City? I personally am glad he signed as I think he is ordinary and wont do that much to change City's defence. Them buying the likes of Koulibaly would have worried me more.

I think he's a 7/10 defender but he's a better defender than what they have bar Laporte. Being with better players could show that he is better than I currently have him at or equally show he just looked good surrounded by shite at Bournemouth. Khoulabaly was meant to have been mediocre last season, but I agree if they put a fit Laporte with him, then they will be very dangerous.

If De Bruyne is injured next season, they will struggle. If they lost him and Laporte for a few months apiece, they could be in big trouble because I expect Aguero to decline next season.

Messi to City would be terrible for us. Whether or not, Messi does well on the pitch with City, time will tell. But as we all know, class is permanent and all that. Pep, as much as I hate his guts, is the one guy who knows how to use Messi, so I believe the odds of Messi succeeding is a lot higher than we care to admit.

Football reasons aside, it's the off the pitch effect which concerns me.

As someone already mentioned, a large part of the Barca fanbase is basically supporters of Messi FC. Imagine millions of Messi die hards transposing their loyalties to City. This can instantly inject millions into City's bank accounts (yes, they don't need the money, but this would make their case of fulfilling FFP in the future so much easier, and a much harder case for any authorities to argue against).