You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (N) Charity Shield - 29/8/20 - 16:30

Bjornebye

I'm not too disappointed with what I've seen. Trent is a loss, the starting midfield lack a bit of inspiration and we didn't get the front three into things. Keita and Minamino did well when they came on - which made the starting 11 a bit of a surprise. Gini's future needs sorting, Thiago would give us a boost but him Keita plus one of Fab/Hendo would be an excellent midfield.

Man of the match - Gomez. The best I've seen him defend in the air. Looked like he had his mojo back. 

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sleeve sponsors pay about 5m a year ... we seem to still be without one.

Weird for a club regularly pleading poverty and who are champions...surely we must have something lined up?

I think several teams make more - Man Utd £20m, Arsenal and Chelsea £10m so you’d think we should be able to find someone to stump up £15m or so. Even in the current climate you would think there’d be takers, but who knows?

I understand why we’re not spending massively - there are no oil state shenanigans and our wage bill is up there with the two Manc clubs (very likely a considerable amount above Utd now that we’ve won the league and Sanchez has gone) but it’s very hard to imagine that, with Lallana and Lovren gone, we don’t have the means to sign a single £30m player.

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think several teams make more - Man Utd £20m, Arsenal and Chelsea £10m so you’d think we should be able to find someone to stump up £15m or so. Even in the current climate you would think there’d be takers, but who knows?

I understand why we’re not spending massively - there are no oil state shenanigans and our wage bill is up there with the two Manc clubs (very likely a considerable amount above Utd now that we’ve won the league and Sanchez has gone) but it’s very hard to imagine that, with Lallana and Lovren gone, we don’t have the means to sign a single £30m player.

Everton are lashing out 25m on that Allan.

And if we can't get a sleeve deal and at least at same terms as mancs etc then something is wrong 

Not having one (if ends up case) when pleading poverty makes no sense.

We are on telly more than anyone so massive exposure.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What has he done to Williams? I feel like people talk about the guy like he's 12 years old and needs to be wrapped in cotton wool. He's getting a chance to play a few games and be a backup, not exactly a big workload. 

Think we can agree Trent is an exceptional player and talent . Even he has periods during the game were he is all at sea. With the way we play this is an extremely difficult position to play in even for a super player. What I saw was a young inexperienced player having a mare with zero direction coming from our staff trying to help him out or get other players to assist him. That to me is poor man management of a player who essentially is or was our backup RB for the season. On a side note I hate to see Gomez playing there however he did quite well.

4 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Think we can agree Trent is an exceptional player and talent . Even he has periods during the game were he is all at see. With the way we play this is an extremely difficult position to play in even for a super player. What I saw was a young inexperienced player having a mare with zero direction coming from our staff trying to help him out or get other players to assist him. That to me is poor man management of a player who essentially is or was our backup RB for the season. On a side note I hate to see Gomez playing there however he did quite well.

There are plenty of young players like him who don't look like they need to be subbed at half time every time they play. The reason Milner played was probably to help him a bit but what more can you do than that? He just needs to be better.

We outplayed them there. Bobby and Mo weren't with it at all but that game offers no indication of the levels Klopp will have them at come Leeds at home. Gutted for Brewster, terrible pen but all he and he side can do is take this as a kick up the arse and a reminder that standards have to be sustained. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

We outplayed them there. Bobby and Mo weren't with it at all but that game offers no indication of the levels Klopp will have them at come Leeds at home. Gutted for Brewster, terrible pen but all he and he side can do is take this as a kick up the arse and a reminder that standards have to be sustained. 

They didn't try to play. I'd argue they were better in the way they approached the game than in the way we approached the game.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There are plenty of young players like him who don't look like they need to be subbed at half time every time they play. The reason Milner played was probably to help him a bit but what more can you do? He just needs to be better.

Don't know the answer made me feel uncomfortable watching it unfold. 

4 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Here's an idea. Maybe Williams isn't good enough.

Here's another idea. Pay to get in a back up like we did with Robbo.

He needs more of a chance and could easily have had a couple of assists today from good work. Aubameyang is hardly the easiest guy to come up against.

Maybe Hoever could get a chance too?

Williams was poor but Bobby and Mo were worse, Keita made more defensive mistakes in 30 minutes than he did and Fab was well off the pace.  It's a semi-serious pre-season friendly and the intensity which  makes us a great team was only there in patches. So fuck it. 

• Upvote 2

I imagine we are getting low balled by sleeve sponsors as we do on most other sponsorship deals but because it’s smaller one the club is probably trying to make a stand with it.  As Dave regularly says I don’t buy the United are bigger than Liverpool stuff any more.  We’ve got more fans actually bothered about us than any other club around maybe bar the two Spanish clubs.  Yet we regularly get considerably smaller deals than them.  We’ve won the champions league and got to a final and won the league.  We are visible absolutely everywhere and at the one point where people watch us as much to hope we get beat as our own fans.  We regularly get the most watched games on telly yet it doesn’t translate into these commercial deals.