You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Aug 18-25 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Tuesday Aug 18:

Lovren reveals that on the night we clinched the title he sneaked out of Formby Hall and drove to Anfield to join in the celebrations with the fans. This was pretty jaw dropping I thought. But if there was one player in the squad who was going to do something like that, he’d have been high on the list for a couple of reasons. 

Firstly, he’s batshit mental. Don’t forget, this is a guy who believes that COVID19 was created by Bill Gates in order to get us all microchipped when a vaccine comes out.

Secondly, he was leaving so I guess he just figured he had nothing to lose. He wanted to experience being with the fans in a moment like that and he knew that it wouldn’t have any long term disciplinary implications if he broke club rules and left the hotel.

Look, I get that it was irresponsible and he shouldn’t have done it. It’s not big and it’s not clever. I don’t condone his actions. I can’t help but laugh at them though. It’s the idea of him having a conversation with Adrian about it first that tickled me. “Fuck this, you are all boring bastards going to bed at midnight. I’m going to Anfield to celebrate with the fans”. “Are you fuck”. “I am. Watch me.” “Nah I don’t believe you”. “I’m going, I’ll send you videos”. And off he went!

On the field tonight, PSG beat Leipzig to reach the final. I think I speak for us all when I say “come on Bayern, you can’t let the French Man City soil this competition by getting their cheating oil stained hands on the trophy”.

Speaking of City, that little rat Bernardo is still tweeting about LFC fans messaging him. What does he expect after what he said the other day? It was an open invitation. He showed he was irritated by it so he opened the front door and invited us all to come in with muddy feet and walk all over his new carpets. Of course you’ll also get some who’ll break some cups, shit in the sink and take all manner of other liberties, but just remember, YOU OPENED THE FRONT DOOR SOFT LAD!

Wednesday Aug 19:

Ok, you know how I’ve been ranting about the way bellends have been massively over-rating Scholes since he retired? Well this might just be the ultimate example of it. 

scholes.jpeg

Whoever picked this has actually picked Paul Scholes ahead of Zinedine Zidane and Stevie Gerrard. This is like having a discussion about best TV shows and including ‘Benidorm’ over ‘Breaking Bad’ and ‘the Wire’ (Messi would obviously be the Sopranos in this reference).

You all know my feelings on Zidane. He’s not as great as everyone says but I would never say he wasn’t a great player. He was brilliant, lavishly gifted and a winner. I just don’t see him as this ‘top five of all time’ that a lot of people claim him to be, that’s all. 

That being said, he’s an absolute fucking shoe-in for any “best ever Champions League XI”. Leaving him out for Gerrard, Keane, Seedorf, Alonso, Pirlo or any other world class midfielders would at least be a lively debate (I’m taking Gerrard all day but I am obviously biased). Leaving him out for Scholes though is just… I don’t even know. I actually think it deserves a prison sentence. I’m not joking. Whoever picked this team, lock the cunt up and throw him in the nonce wing.

I reckon Xavi picked it. That’s the only logical explanation as no-one ever spoke about Scholes until that silly cunt made his outlandish statement. So yeah, lock Xavi up with the nonces.

Meanwhile, Bayern swept Lyon aside to reach the final. I never bothered watching this one and it’s 50/50 whether I’ll watch the final. I’m not bothered about watching, I just hope PSG don’t win.

Haha ‘Big Red Ron’ is the new Barca manager. So after being deemed not good enough for Everton, he’s managed Belgium, Holland and Barcelona. There’s hope for Marco Silva yet.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report. I think the twats on twitter are called the twateratti arent they? They just talk shite and to be honest, I think a lot of them are the most plassy of all fanbases.

Degsy, you've got to love him with that Anfield visit. Yeah I know he had brain farts during games, the most notable against Spurs and Kane at Wembley. But even when subbed off after 30 minutes, he didnt hide away in the dressing room. He took it like a pro and sat on the subs bench in full view of everyone.

That Xavi doesnt rate us, does he? When he talked of managing 'big clubs' he didnt mention us instead putting Spurs and arsenal in with the likes of city and united. Fucking dweeb.

Didnt want Bayern to draw level with us before the finalists were known. No way I wanted PSG to win. We can still say only Real and Milan have been European Champions more than us so I'll stomach that just so long as they dont retain it next season!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

That Xavi doesnt rate us, does he? When he talked of managing 'big clubs' he didnt mention us instead putting Spurs and arsenal in with the likes of city and united. Fucking dweeb.

I remember him bitching when Liverpool knocked Barcelona out of the CL in 2007. Talking about the better team was knocked out after beating us at Anfield even though they were beaten at the Nou Camp and only won the return leg because of Valdes.

People's hatred for Real Madrid really allowed Barcelona's entitlement to fall under the radar during the Ronaldinho and early Messi era but they were just as bad.

Dave your mention of the Barce fanbase's reaction to Suarez reminds me of the way they hounded him when he was going through a goal drought... Dude scored the winner in a CL final and had an amazing 40 goal season the next one but the moment he started struggling they turned on him.

Fuck that entire club I will take great pleasure in watching them struggle

• Upvote 1

Great diary again, Dave ! 

How is the fanzine progressing ?

Bayern deserved winning, best team of the year.

Brewster would learn more playing on loan in PL than playing a few minutes for us every other week. 

I see your shrink is helping you a lot to come to terms with that weird Zidane complex !

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Koeman managed Belgium?

Think you're mixing up the managers who're still on the Everton payroll...

I didn't remember it happening but I read it somewhere so just went with it without checking because that's how I roll.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic