You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Upcoming Contracts Expiration

WhiskeyJar

Wanted to create a thread that just deals with contract expiration and negotiations.

Upcoming in 2021:

Georginio Wijnaldum

Central Midfield
30.06.2021-€40.00m  

Adrián

Goalkeeper

Jan 3, 1987 (33)

Option for a further year    

€4.00m

2022:
James Milner  
Central Midfield
Jan 4, 1986 (34)    

England    

30.06.2022    -    €6.50m  

Ben Woodburn
Attacking Midfield
Oct 15, 1999 (20)    Wales
England    

30.06.2022    -    €4.50m  

Loris Karius
Goalkeeper
Jun 22, 1993 (27)    

Germany    30.06.2022    -    €3.20m  

Caoimhin Kelleher 
Goalkeeper
Nov 23, 1998 (21)    

Ireland    30.06.2022    -    €900Th. 

Gini can talk to other clubs from January 2021, I believe. If we dont get him signed or sold by the time this window closes, then we're fucked in my humble opinion.

Thing I dont get is why we havent made a decision one way or the other. You think in these financially restrictive times, the club wouldnt want to lose a valuable asset for zip.

Ive said it before, there's more to this than is in the public domain. We've extended player contracts before to 'protect' the club so Im at a loss why we're being inactive here.

Milner has been a great pro for the club. Whether he wants to finish his career here or go back to Leeds for a swansong after this season remains to be seen.

It’ll be wages with Gini. I’m sure I read that he’s on about £40k per week and with FSG going on record saying they don’t like big wages, they’ll be happier letting him run it down and walk away than treble them and be stuck with a high earning ageing player. 

7 minutes ago, Red74 said:

It’ll be wages with Gini. I’m sure I read that he’s on about £40k per week and with FSG going on record saying they don’t like big wages, they’ll be happier letting him run it down and walk away than treble them and be stuck with a high earning ageing player. 

Dreadful decision to let him walk away.  We've got Milner contracted until he's 36 on much higher wages and he's not even close to beimg as important as Wijnaldum. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Gini can talk to other clubs from January 2021, I believe. If we dont get him signed or sold by the time this window closes, then we're fucked in my humble opinion.

Thing I dont get is why we havent made a decision one way or the other. You think in these financially restrictive times, the club wouldnt want to lose a valuable asset for zip.

Ive said it before, there's more to this than is in the public domain. We've extended player contracts before to 'protect' the club so Im at a loss why we're being inactive here.

Milner has been a great pro for the club. Whether he wants to finish his career here or go back to Leeds for a swansong after this season remains to be seen.

It's really not that big of a deal to let a player leave on a free once in a while. We could win stuff with him next year and then he'll get paid more money from going on a free. It's a good faith thing from the club and the player and it probably makes us more attractive for players that we're willing to do that. 

15 minutes ago, Red74 said:

No way is Gini on 40k a week!

14 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Fuck me gently. Karius has still got 2 years stealing a wage, 3.2 million a year. That has totally ruined my week.

shite that isn't it? i thought this was his last year. we just need to offload the cunt. 

as for the rest of them, there's only gini who should be pressing to sort - and who knows, him staying or going may already be decided and we just don't know about it. 

On 23/08/2020 at 15:17, dockers_strike said:

You say there’s more to Gini than is in the public domain, then moan about us being inactive! None of us know, so can’t criticise the Club, for a players contract to run down this close it can only be the players decision as the Club certainly wouldn’t let it happen, especially with all the contract renewals and extensions we’ve given out recently. There must have been some hesitancy or silly demands from Gini’s camp. 

On 23/08/2020 at 09:56, Jordy Brouwer said:

Obviously need Gini deal and hopefully Milner. Would like Woodburn to get a chance but that's just me. 

Milner goes out of contract 2 summers from now, when he will be 36. 

I know he keeps himself in good shape, but I think it's pretty safe to say that he won't be at the level we require past that summer.

19 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I know he keeps himself in good shape, but I think it's pretty safe to say that he won't be at the level we require past that summer.

We can invest in a mobility scooter. There's always hope. 

14 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Just keep him around as inspiration and mentoring the kids

On 24/08/2020 at 18:53, Ne Moe Imya said:

I read somewhere the other day it's only till the end of this season, the 2 years included the season in flight. I went to check on transfermarkt as they're pretty reliable, but it seems down at the moment. I can see the BBC think it was 2022, but I don't think it is. 

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

What's going on with Gini's contract? Is it money? It's doing my head in that's it's still dragging on.

Klopp was asked about it in the pre match press conference and just batted it off with something like I've never talked about contracts, why would I now, it's private between Gini and the club. He didn't suggest it was close or a million miles away, just played it down. He used to do the with Can, but pretty sure he did with Mane too when that was taking a while. 

On 27/08/2020 at 07:41, Barrington Womble said:

I read somewhere the other day it's only till the end of this season, the 2 years included the season in flight. I went to check on transfermarkt as they're pretty reliable, but it seems down at the moment. I can see the BBC think it was 2022, but I don't think it is. 

Why would he sign a contract for a season that he already had a contract for and he was 1/2 way through?

5 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Why would he sign a contract for a season that he already had a contract for and he was 1/2 way through?

Probably because it gave him some better terms or something. Or gave him some type of release clause for Leeds if they wanted him or something like that he could leave for free. There could be a thousand reasons. But every time a player signs a new contract mid-season it always includes the season he's in. Mane signed his last contract in a November and it was called a 5 year deal, but really in was about a 4.6 year deal. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Probably because it gave him some better terms or something. Or gave him some type of release clause for Leeds if they wanted him or something like that he could leave for free. There could be a thousand reasons. But every time a player signs a new contract mid-season it always includes the season he's in. Mane signed his last contract in a November and it was called a 5 year deal, but really in was about a 4.6 year deal. 

Didn't know that,  Just assumed they ran consecutively.

• 8 months later...

This bit from James Pearces latest article is a bit worrying...

Contract extensions were on hold during the pandemic as the financial impact took its toll but those matters will start to be addressed later this summer. Jordan Henderson, Van Dijk, Roberto Firmino, Fabinho, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane all have two years remaining on their deals.

That's a LOT of key players with only 2 years left - also could point to the fact if we hadn't made Champions league, we probably would have had to sell one of them to make up for the shortfall. This is how Arsenal regularly mess up, I'm not saying we are anywhere near as incompetent as Arsenal but shows how closely linked our revenue is to what we can do unlike other clubs who don't really need to worry about what they bring in. 

Very optimistic to think that the club can negotiate and tie down all these players in one summer, would be very surprised if atleast one of them doesn't get done and then gets sold next summer for a lower fee.

Link to Athletic article - Konate deal done, but Liverpool need to sell deadwood before they buy more players

41 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Van Dijk, Salah and Fabinho have to the priorities out of that bunch, assuming they all want to. It’ll be expensive and eat into our transfer budget, but we can’t risk unsettling and ultimately losing any of them through inaction.

Yep. And I don't think getting Henderson to sign is an issue. So that comes down to Bobby and mane. And the form they're in they shouldn't be an issue either.