You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Semi Final - New Order vs The Smiths

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Semi Final - New Order vs The Smiths  

77 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Semi Final - New Order vs The Smiths

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/20 at 19:32

10 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

This isn’t even a battle of Manchester’s finest. It’s Manchester’s finest versus New Order. 

New Order are a very good band but their back catalogue isn’t a as strong as The Smiths, their primary lyricist is not as good as the one in The Smiths, their excellent lead guitar player is not as good as the one in The Smiths and they’re just not The Smiths.

Also, Joy Division were better than New Order so for that reason and because they’re not as good as The Smiths, they can’t win this. 

This post is absolutely correct but completely the wrong way around. New Order are way better than Joy Division, and The Smiths.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Some of Barnie’s lyrics for New Order songs  are shockingly bad, adolescent poetry at its very worst. I blame the decades of Coke. 

Here’s one from Times Change; 

“ like Christ in a manger I lay

yellow fever yellow hay”

or this one from Crystal

“here comes love, it’s like honey

you can’t buy it with money”

That is just shit, pure unadulterated lazy can’t be arsed anymore, just write down any old shit shit. 

I think you'll find 'writing any old shit' is quite common in the music business. Its generally the melody and tune which hooks you and the lyrics,outside of the true greats,are often pretty much nonsense. 

42 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Some of Barnie’s lyrics for New Order songs  are shockingly bad, adolescent poetry at its very worst. I blame the decades of Coke. 

Here’s one from Times Change; 

“ like Christ in a manger I lay

yellow fever yellow hay”

or this one from Crystal

“here comes love, it’s like honey

you can’t buy it with money”

That is just shit, pure unadulterated lazy can’t be arsed anymore, just write down any old shit shit. 

Yes, but Crystal is an absolutely brilliant song. 

26 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

39 votes for the smiths compared to 42 for Led Zep in the other semi. Assuming it stays as is, we all need to vote again in the final for the Smiths to beat those scruffy brummie dinosaurs. Think how pissed off the rest of the GF will be. Let’s win this thing for awkward teenage nerds the world over ! 

Not one person in Led Zeppelin was from Birmingham.

Also, your logic is skewed as a few people will be Stones & Zeppelin fans. Led Zeppelin have 40 votes & are losing too.

Just now, cloggypop said:

If Led Zeppelin don't win, the whole GF is getting rammed up Mook's hoop. 

I'm expecting them to go out to The Stones.

So I've smashed a taxidermy hippo from the museum up my arse in preparation.

10 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Not really applicable, but some of Morrissey's albums after The Smiths were absolutely brilliant. Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I were as good as The Smiths.

Not Kill Uncle though, that was shite.

First of the gang to die is a tune. 

One grade A wanker of a man though. 

Morrissey is an absolute tool, and his politics make it difficult for me to listen to anything he's done nowadays. But that said, I think The Smiths were absolutely one of the best British bands of all time. Given that they were only making records for around four years, for me they rival The Beatles and The Stones in terms of how prolific they were. (NOT saying they were as innovative, for the record). And Johnny Marr is one of the all-time great British guitarists, too. So I think they totally deserve their place in the latter stages of the competition.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Morrissey is an absolute tool, and his politics make it difficult for me to listen to anything he's done nowadays. But that said, I think The Smiths were absolutely one of the best British bands of all time. Given that they were only making records for around four years, for me they rival The Beatles and The Stones in terms of how prolific they were. (NOT saying they were as innovative, for the record). And Johnny Marr is one of the all-time great British guitarists, too. So I think they totally deserve their place in the latter stages of the competition.

This