You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

France in a camper van

Redder Lurtz

We're planning to do a two week circular tour of France next July. I'll be buying a camper van in Feb.

Anyone ever done something similar? I'll probably buy a book and all that and I'm going to put plenty of time into planning a route. Just wondered if anyone has any tips. 

• Upvote 6

The first book or App you need is Brit Stops for the UK. It gives you loads of campsites but also pubs that allow free (or very cheap) stopovers in their car parks, on the basis that you might eat or drink in their establishment. There are loads of them all over the country. 

We were planning to go in to France this year but Covid put paid to that but apparently (we've not done it) there are loads of places you can stay next to their motorways or major routes or in towns which are free.

https://www.beerandcroissants.com/free-campervan-stops-in-france/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

We're planning to do a two week circular tour of France next July. I'll be buying a camper van in Feb.

Anyone ever done something similar? I'll probably buy a book and all that and I'm going to put plenty of time into planning a route. Just wondered if anyone has any tips. 

Did it over 20 years ago with a student rail card and a copy of lonely planet. Stayed in cheap hotels, hostels etc. and went anti clockwise from St. Malo in Brittany to Paris then down south (via Barcelona). St. Malo is a lovely walled town and worth a visit on it's own. Highlight whilst down south west was definitely swimming in the river below Pont du Gard, an ancient Roman aqueduct. The towns in the east / Alsace (Dijon, Nancy, Strasbourg) are very pretty and worth a visit as well as towns like Beaune in Burgundy for a wine tour. If I remember any more I'll post it.

• Upvote 1

Best holiday I ever had was hiring a car and driving around Italy. Far better than 2 weeks arguing with Brian from Solihull about immigrants and the england football team while watching him slowly burn as the days go on. 

Jealous of you Redderz. 

• Upvote 2

Drove through pretty much every state In America bloody hell nearly 30years ago in a VW camper with a pillow case stuffed with weed and about 7000 mushrooms probably doesn’t help very much l just can’t believe it was nearly 30 years ago.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Edward. said:

Drove through pretty much every state In America bloody hell nearly 30years ago in a VW camper with a pillow case stuffed with weed and about 7000 mushrooms probably doesn’t help very much l just can’t believe it was nearly 30 years ago.

Boss. How long were you out there? 

5 minutes ago, Edward. said:

You say nearly 30 years ago, when in reality it was just last week.

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Boss. How long were you out there? 

I had a visa for the year I worked. Then we got arrested for cultivating, possession of a class A product drug paraphernalia stolen property(which was basically a giant concrete dragon taken one evening from a garden centre). Went to court on 3 separate occasions by which time my visa had run out. So like any outlaw in old westerns we headed for the border.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Ken Kesey over here. 

Keep an eye on "black weekends" for driving in France.  There's certain weekends when people holidaying in france drive home and new ones take their place.  Those weekends are an absolute nightmare to go anywhere so avoid like the plague.  The first 2 weekends of August are the worst and most Saturdays in July/Aug 

On 21/08/2020 at 15:29, Paulie Dangerously said:

Keep an eye on "black weekends" for driving in France.  There's certain weekends when people holidaying in france drive home and new ones take their place.  Those weekends are an absolute nightmare to go anywhere so avoid like the plague.  The first 2 weekends of August are the worst and most Saturdays in July/Aug 

Off all the racist things I've seen in my career 

• Upvote 1