You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Women’s FC

AngryOfTuebrook

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Derby Day, today. At Anfield and on Sky, too (I think).

Get into these cunts, Reds!

Literally. 

Gutted about the kick off time. I see Jamie Webster is playing at Taggy’s beforehand. My daughter would have loved it, especially if he broke out Saturday Night / Divock Origi.

Hopefully she’ll watch it with me on the TV but I doubt it. 

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's Liverpool v Everton. We need to beat those cunts everywhere.

Meh. 

As a caveat I'd like to say that I had the privilege of coaching Everton's first goalscorer when she was with Liverpool's girls centre of excellence quite a few years back. She was always a good player though,even though she left the club after me.

I took my daughter again today. 2 games in and I'm feeling very bored by the whole experience. It wasn't helped tonight by the dickhead lads running on the pitch all the time and that last one, fuck me he must have been about 25, all I could think was I hope the stewards give him a kicking. What the fuck has to be wrong with you to be that age and want to invade the pitch. Teenage lads, well they're all mostly bellends, so I understand that, but not fucking grown men. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I only watched the first few minutes and it looked like a mismatch. Here's hoping the Reds can grow into the season.

It doesn't help that, because it's pretty much illegal to criticise the women's game these days, the commentator and pundits just ignore the godawful mistakes, the remarkable number of times that simple passes go straight to the feet of opponents, the goalkeepers 'jumping' with all the effectiveness of a disgraced mafioso being dumped into a river, etc etc. All it does is create this weird experience of watching performances that don't bear any resemblance to the thrilling technical team that is being described. If the women's game is going to go to the next level, it really has to start being honest about the standards on show.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It doesn't help that, because it's pretty much illegal to criticise the women's game these days, the commentator and pundits just ignore the godawful mistakes, the remarkable number of times that simple passes go straight to the feet of opponents, the goalkeepers 'jumping' with all the effectiveness of a disgraced mafioso being dumped into a river, etc etc. All it does is create this weird experience of watching performances that don't bear any resemblance to the thrilling technical team that is being described. If the women's game is going to go to the next level, it really has to start being honest about the standards on show.

I watch the odd game of women's cricket and it's exactly the same. Everyone must pretend that everything is great. 

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I watch the odd game of women's cricket and it's exactly the same. Everyone must pretend that everything is great. 

Yes. I'm afraid that's where they're going wrong with fast-tracking so many ex-players into the punditry jobs. They sit there chatting about their old teammates as if they're all legends, utterly incapable of admitting when the performance is actually bad. I've seen some women's games that are quite good, and as far as LFC is concerned Matt Beard sometimes gets his team playing some decent enough stuff, but when they're as bad as they were yesterday - timid, negative, clueless, misplacing passes, miscontrolling the ball, making the kind of mistakes schoolkids would get berated for, and still getting an easy ride from the commentators, it doesn't help anyone. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

I've only ever watched 2 women's matches and it's the LFC games I've seen this last week. I'm quite surprised just how bad some of it is (and I didn't go in expecting much). Not just the LFC players, but the opposition too. And it's not the pressure of the situation, I was watching the Chelsea players in their warm up routine last week, some of it was desperate stuff. It's actually really hard to compare it with any level of the mens game. I think U16s is better than this in just about any way you want to measure. Last week watching the Chelsea players warm up, I thought it looked all a bit Saturday league, but it's not that really either. It's completely it's own thing, but if you're after finding quality technique and athleticism, this is not the sport. Even my 11 year old daughter who really wanted to go, but has seen plenty of the men's team, she makes small comments of how underwhelmed she is, but I know she doesn't want to say it's crap. 

I think your point about being honest where the sport is. Admit it's not close to the mens game, but it can make for a cheap family day out and may grow with time is what they need to do, or it'll be rightly ridiculed when held up against the men's game. At the moment it's like trying to compare a smartphone to a pencil.