You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Women’s FC

AngryOfTuebrook

7 hours ago, The Guest said:

There’s no money in it clearly.  If UEFA and the premier league can’t control City and Chelsea spending infinite money in the men’s game and the media want to continue to pretend that it’s a not a problem at all then Liverpool are going to have to put every ounce of their concentration, time and money into that.

There’s been a few articles and politicians sticking their oar in on this demanding we “invest” in the women’s team which in other words means run at a loss or an even bigger loss than they’re being run at now.  Completely ignoring the fact there’s not much expenditure in the men’s team either.  If City and Chelsea are going to just buy the league  in the women’s game as well then what is the point in even bothering at all.

The reality is that the women’s teams are nothing to do with men’s.  The fans couldn’t care less despite some people pretending that they do when something significant happens like a league win or relegation.  The only thing that’s related is the name.  If the women’s team lose a game nobody gives a shit.  It’s the same for every team.  You can’t just make people be bothered about something whether you stick their club name on it or not.

Correct. Theres no market for it. Everything is being forced in the womens game, mainly through the media and then people are painted as misogynist if they don't like it.

Women's football will only be properly funded if the decision makers feel theres something there to be exploited and massive revenue to be made. But watching some of it last year, they just can't pull in the crowds.

21 hours ago, Antynwa said:

I'm ignorant to the challenges that Women's football is facing to be honest. I can only speak about my approach to it and also understanding the expectation that people have. 

I only consume the 1st team, and maybe a little bit of the youth side of football. I don't watch anyone other than Liverpool unless there is a big game, and I have never really sat down to watch the women's game. Mainly because I care for it very little, in the same way I care for Cricket very little. I am not trying to be-little it, but the women's game really isn't on my radar and I don't think it will ever be.

What is important however as a women's side is that we are well represented, well run and competitive, the challenge you've got is that the fact the side was relegated means very little to me. I'm just not bothered though even if the above is or isn't the case. I can't replicate he intensity I have for the 1st team for the women's side. 

There has been some success with a women's football club down south which isn't affiliated with the mens side, and is competing at the highest level in women's football. That is not to say there shouldn't be mainstream support from the mens Football League, but I do wonder if to build the affinity for the women's game, actually trying to establish that out of existing mens sides is probably not the way to do it.

I don't quite know where I am going with this but in short

1. I don't watch women's football

2. I didn't really care that they got relegated

3. I think if we have a women's football side it should be well run, supported and competitive, but if it isn't and the men's side is successful then its a non issue for me

4. Perhaps the City of Liverpool should establish a Womens Football Side with investments from Liverpool and Everton and grow the game that way - if indeed the ultimate ambition is to have women's football in the spotlight

Your point about trying to grow women's football by attaching it to the men's game maybe not being the right way to go is a good one,but I imagine that is the only way to do it and fall under the guidance of the FA and qualify for grants etc. It wasn't until the early to mid 2000s that LFC embraced a female centre of excellence,Academy equivalent for girls,before that it was just local teams. Even then there was hostility from the junior teams for whom the girls were playing at the time but I believe it was Liverpool FC's choice to start a full female side and Academy equivalent so they have to take the responsibility. They weren't forced but I suspect just wanted grants and thought they would cover everything,yet didn't.

I think FSG are missing a trick. While American Football appears to be the No1 sport for school and college boys in the US, I’m sure I read somewhere that ‘soccer’ is the No1 sport for girls. While I agree with giving girls their own sporting heroes to look up to, FSG should be thinking about those shirt sales. You could even have reasonably inexpensive LFC training camps touring the US giving girls a chance to karticipate and get to know the club.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I think FSG are missing a trick. While American Football appears to be the No1 sport for school and college boys in the US, I’m sure I read somewhere that ‘soccer’ is the No1 sport for girls. While I agree with giving girls their own sporting heroes to look up to, FSG should be thinking about those shirt sales. You could even have reasonably inexpensive LFC training camps touring the US giving girls a chance to karticipate and get to know the club.

Great post mate. Another point I meant to make is exactly the one you have made regarding girl's 'soccer' camps and not just in the US either. You have Canada,South America,Asia,Africa and all the countries they encompass. It would be a money spinner,if done properly. Just having the LFC name attached to females and especially youngsters is massive.

On 19/08/2020 at 22:43, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's a bit shit the way they've gone from back-to-back champions to relegation in just a few years. 

Quite a few suggestions that the owners just don't take the team seriously enough, which strikes me as commercially short-sighted.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53427855

There are suggestions that they might start to put this right, by allowing the women to use the new facilities in Kirkby, etc. I fucking hope so. I don't follow them, but I do want every Liverpool team to be successful. 

Repped for creating a previously unexplored avenue for us to argue over.

On 20/08/2020 at 09:55, Trumo said:

In those 2 years when the team won the league back to back, one of the telling things was that we were the only side that were full time. All the other teams were semi-pro, and that's what attracted some decent womens players to the club. Once the ikes of Arsenal, Chelsea and City went full time aswell, our competitive advantage was eroded. Not only that, but unlike us they were attracting some top players from around the world. They eventually started taking our best players too. We didn't react, instead just letting things slide to the point where even the players and coaching staff got the impression the club didn't care. When the plans were drawn up to sell Melwood and expand the academy site to include the men's first team facilities, there was nothing about including the women's teams.

Oh yes.

• 1 year later...
From Twitter today, Klopp nails it again.

"Jurgen Klopp on Liverpool women: "Congratulations! I sent messages. I was really happy, following the results all the time. I'm really happy for the girls & for Matt [Beard]. I met a lot of the girls in the last two or three months. It's really nice, a wonderful team."
"It's a big thing. Obviously Liverpool in the last years was not famous for treating or dealing with women's football outstandingly well... But now they are back we have to make sure we use the situation.

42 minutes ago, Trumo said:

No idea how it works financially, but they should definitely look into bringing in some of the best players in the women's game if they want to be better than also-rans in the top flight.

Maybe we run our women's team like the men's - spend within your means. I'm not sure I could say the same for other clubs, sadly.

Some of the female hacks started a couple of years ago this narrative that LFC never bothered much about the women's game (while ignoring the fact that Utd didn't even bother to have a team!), but it's clearly more complicated than that. We won the bloody league a few years ago for a start! It's what happened to STOP the positivity that's been largely overlooked.

I don't know the full story about that. One factor was obviously that when a couple of other clubs decided belatedly to get involved, and the red side of the mancs decided very belatedly to try to catch up from scratch, most of our best players were lured away in quick succession. Neal Redfearn came in, obviously realised that a big chunk of the team needed replacing, and scarpered. That left Vicky Jepson to manage without much recruitment, and the team went from bad to worse and was relegated.

Beard is clearly a good manager, but he also got the money to rebuild the squad - which makes the past few years seem even more incoherent as far as policy is concerned. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NoelM said:
From Twitter today, Klopp nails it again.

"Jurgen Klopp on Liverpool women: "Congratulations! I sent messages. I was really happy, following the results all the time. I'm really happy for the girls & for Matt [Beard]. I met a lot of the girls in the last two or three months. It's really nice, a wonderful team."
"It's a big thing. Obviously Liverpool in the last years was not famous for treating or dealing with women's football outstandingly well... But now they are back we have to make sure we use the situation.

Jurgen is correct about how badly the Women's side was treated. I was part of their set up when they were promoted from the Championship to the WPL about 15 years ago and it was pretty shit then.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Jurgen is correct about how badly the Women's side was treated. I was part of their set up when they were promoted from the Championship to the WPL about 15 years ago and it was pretty shit then.

Two restraining orders does not make you part of the set-up, VI.

• Upvote 3

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Hopefully it will quieten that garrulous Emma Hayes.

All three goals being pennos is odd.

I've had to get an ST there this season to take my daughter. I wondered if the ref did it to keep me awake. The 1st Liverpool pen was reasonably clear cut. The Chelsea one, it hadn't crossed my mind it was a pen, although maybe I wasn't paying attention. The 2nd Liverpool one from my angle looked pretty clear cut, but apparently the defender got the ball, but it looked like she went through the attacker first to me if she did. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had to get an ST there this season to take my daughter. I wondered if the ref did it to keep me awake. The 1st Liverpool pen was reasonably clear cut. The Chelsea one, it hadn't crossed my mind it was a pen, although maybe I wasn't paying attention. The 2nd Liverpool one from my angle looked pretty clear cut, but apparently the defender got the ball, but it looked like she went through the attacker first to me if she did

That's how it looked to me too. How quick is Stengel by the way?

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had to get an ST there this season to take my daughter. I wondered if the ref did it to keep me awake. The 1st Liverpool pen was reasonably clear cut. The Chelsea one, it hadn't crossed my mind it was a pen, although maybe I wasn't paying attention. The 2nd Liverpool one from my angle looked pretty clear cut, but apparently the defender got the ball, but it looked like she went through the attacker first to me if she did. 

Sounds a lot better than the dross I watched from Goodison. Learned my lesson, watch anything but Everton.