You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lord of the Rings

Lee909

An amazing set of films, which really do the books justice.

I have very fond memories of being introduced to LOTR. At 20 I’d just landed in Sydney with my then girlfriend, and we crashed at her cousin’s flat in Bondi Beach. There were 5 of us & we all took turns in the evenings and on weekends reading the book in bits - frustrating, but kind of exciting at the same time.

We were all smokers in those days and dope was cheap and plentiful. The two other guys (having already read the books) would fill their pipes with a heady mix of Drum and Buddha stick and sit in their easy chairs reading the book when it was their turn, obviously (in hindsight) thinking they were Gandalf.

Needless to say, I bought my first pipe.

The films were fantastic and they're still fresh in the memory, so what's the point of a TV series?

Did the producers watch the films and seriously say to themselves, "not bad but we can do this better"?

Hope I'm proved wrong but this just smacks of another cynical cash grab, this time on the back of another guaranteed money spinning"franchise".

Hope it's the best thing since sliced bread.

53 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The films were fantastic and they're still fresh in the memory, so what's the point of a TV series?

Did the producers watch the films and seriously say to themselves, "not bad but we can do this better"?

Hope I'm proved wrong but this just smacks of another cynical cash grab, this time on the back of another guaranteed money spinning"franchise".

For sure they saw a money spinner but given it's set in a different era with new characters i'll give it a whirl but grave doubts about whether the same level of production that went into the LOTR films has gone into this . More than that is the fact that this isn't a book that's dramatised but probably more of a dragged out screen written soap opera set in Middle Earth.  I am starting to hate it as I write.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Because it covers the second age of Middle Earth whereas the books/films covered the third age, which began when Isuldur took down Sauron. So the point is to explore an entirely different part of the mythology which, in all likelihood, will tell us all about the forging of the rings.

The second age lasted for about 3,500 years prior to Sauron's initial defeat, Isildur's moment of weakness and the ring passing out of knowledge for 2,500 years before coming into the hands of Gollum, which itself is 500-odd years before we pick up the story in The Fellowship of the Ring.

The only super familiar characters we are likely to encounter are Elrond, Galadriel and Sauron.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Because it covers the second age of Middle Earth whereas the books/films covered the third age, which began when Isuldur took down Sauron. So the point is to explore an entirely different part of the mythology which, in all likelihood, will tell us all about the forging of the rings.

The second age lasted for about 3,500 years prior to Sauron's initial defeat, Isildur's moment of weakness and the ring passing out of knowledge for 2,500 years before coming into the hands of Gollum, which itself is 500-odd years before we pick up the story in The Fellowship of the Ring.

The only super familiar characters we are likely to encounter are Elrond, Galadriel and Sauron.

'Super' familiar?

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Watching the 3 films at the cinema at the time was serious life changing shit though. Just mind-blowing stuff.

I binge watched the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy one Saturday and the extended versions of The Hobbit Trilogy the day after a couple of years back.

Brilliant escapism when you've got something on your mind.

Fantastic stuff.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I binge watched the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy one Saturday and the extended versions of The Hobbit Trilogy the day after a couple of years back.

Brilliant escapism when you've got something on your mind.

Fantastic stuff.

The Hobbit should have been one film really, plus the dwarves were cunts. Love LOTR though, me and my mates watched the extended films back to back years ago and the day flew even though it was something like nearly 12 hours, that's how good there are. 

The lotr show is surely a case of the network seeing how much money was in game of thrones and thinking they'd try and get a slice. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Hobbit should have been one film really, plus the dwarves were cunts. Love LOTR though, me and my mates watched the extended films back to back years ago and the day flew even though it was something like nearly 12 hours, that's how good there are. 

The lotr show is surely a case of the network seeing how much money was in game of thrones and thinking they'd try and get a slice. 

I agree that The Hobbit is nowhere near as good as LOTR, I still enjoyed watching the trilogy though.

As far as the upcoming series is concerned, I think it's best to keep an open mind instead of just dismissing it as some seem to be doing, I'm looking forward to it myself.

It could be brilliant or it could be shite. We won't know until we've actually seen it.

Let's just hope that it's not brilliant up until the end of the penultimate season then a real let down with the last one like so many other series we've all invested our time in.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think that's half right. I think it's also a credibility thing for Amazon Studios. They don't have that iconic show that's synonymous with their platform yet. And yes, if it works out, the money will be incredible. 

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think that's half right. I think it's also a credibility thing for Amazon Studios. They don't have that iconic show that's synonymous with their platform yet. And yes, if it works out, the money will be incredible. 

The Boys is sensational, Primes best show easily.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

The Boys is sensational, Primes best show easily.

Yeah it is. I love that show. Not exactly Stranger Things, The Mandalorian, or Game of Thrones in terms of mainstream, ingrained in the pop culture, status though is it?

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Just finished watching the Extended Cut of the first one for the first time in about ten years. It's so nice to see a well-made film produced with love, and earnest, likeable characters that don't have a smartarse quip for everything.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Sut said:

Just finished watching the Extended Cut of the first one for the first time in about ten years. It's so nice to see a well-made film produced with love, and earnest, likeable characters that don't have a smartarse quip for everything.

It's brilliant.

I've got the extended trilogy of both LOTR and The Hobbit on bluray and although the sound is good, the dialogue I find a bit low.

The 4K release though has Atmos and it's a vast improvement. 

4 hours ago, Sut said:

I love it. The set piece battles are incredible, especially the ride of the Rohirrim (sp?) during the last one. I saw the first two when they were released at the cinema, fantastic stuff, and it hasn't aged too badly either.

• Upvote 1