You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Last 16 - Blur vs Oasis

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Last 16 - Blur vs Oasis   

87 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Last 16 - Blur vs Oasis

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/08/20 at 14:33

I voted Blur because I don't like Oasis misic at all really. I saw Blur live in their early years (There's No Other Way era) on the Rollercoaster tour, with JAMC, My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr. To be fair, they did pretty well considering that heavyweight bill. I like quite a few of their songs too. So quite an easy choice.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Oasis. Just. Both have done some great songs, none of which featured in their 1995 chart battle.

So true. I don't mind Country House, its a novelty load of bollocks but they did have Jo Guest running round giant mouse-trap board game with her baps out in the video....... 

Roll With It is one of my least favourite Oasis songs but fuck me I've seen them play it live twice and the place goes absolutely fucking nuts. Bastard 'covered in piss' of a song. 

I’ve gone with Oasis for the live experiences. Seen them three times including Knebworth and they were great. Still enjoy listening to them from time to time

However I don’t want to miss out on annoying Stig so I will mention that they are not musically important or influential in any meaningful way . They are basically the same as Arnie Schwarzenegger is to the film industry - biggest draw in the world for a few years, produced some stuff that is great fun and arguably he took the genre of action films to a higher level of entertainment than before. But did he make any advances in the craft of acting or do anything important in developing film as an art form? Nah, did he fuck

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Blur. 

Coffee and TV is twice as good as any song Oasis could even dream of writing, that includes Slide Away (which I love).

Hahaha. Thanks. I needed that.  

I like Blur but I’d still pick Oasis even if I only took their B-sides into Consideration. 

44 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

I’ve gone with Oasis for the live experiences. Seen them three times including Knebworth and they were great. Still enjoy listening to them from time to time

However I don’t want to miss out on annoying Stig so I will mention that they are not musically important or influential in any meaningful way . They are basically the same as Arnie Schwarzenegger is to the film industry - biggest draw in the world for a few years, produced some stuff that is great fun and arguably he took the genre of action films to a higher level of entertainment than before. But did he make any advances in the craft of acting or do anything important in developing film as an art form? Nah, did he fuck

Were you a teenager in Britain in the mid to late 90's? 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If you don't think Oasis had musical influence then you are stupid. 

On whom? Except a few copycat bands around the period and Kasabian who are terrible.

I loved Oasis. I was the right age for them with freedom, no responsibility and a bit of disposable income. They fitted right into what I enjoyed at the time. But essentially they were just a good band doing a tried and tested formula, they added nothing. That’s not a huge criticism, not many bands do and not many bands have the success of Oasis. But they are not important - success and significance are not the same

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If you don't think Oasis had musical influence then you are stupid. 

They certainly had musical influences but I'm not sure they actually influenced anyone decent themselves. There's nothing actually new there. Maybe to get a band together but musically? Not so sure. Unless loads of shite buskers doing covers counts. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I implore you all for the integrity and dignity of the tournament to vote honestly. If you are indifferent I'd rather you toss a coin than just try and piss me off. Cloggypops vote is void for this. 

I've chosen arguably (certainly Blurs) both best songs. 

Two superb bands. Oasis better, by quite a bit. They have a better b-side album than anything Blur (and most bands) have ever done. 

Yeah,but Blur used more chords! 

Only kidding,Oasis for me.

1 hour ago, PestiRed said:

On whom? Except a few copycat bands around the period and Kasabian who are terrible.

I loved Oasis. I was the right age for them with freedom, no responsibility and a bit of disposable income. They fitted right into what I enjoyed at the time. But essentially they were just a good band doing a tried and tested formula, they added nothing. That’s not a huge criticism, not many bands do and not many bands have the success of Oasis. But they are not important - success and significance are not the same

50 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

They certainly had musical influences but I'm not sure they actually influenced anyone decent themselves. There's nothing actually new there. Maybe to get a band together but musically? Not so sure. Unless loads of shite buskers doing covers counts. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7456977tenor.gif

giphy.giftenor.gif?itemid=9758261