You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Last 16 - Blur vs Oasis

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Last 16 - Blur vs Oasis   

87 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Last 16 - Blur vs Oasis

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/08/20 at 14:33

I implore you all for the integrity and dignity of the tournament to vote honestly. If you are indifferent I'd rather you toss a coin than just try and piss me off. Cloggypops vote is void for this. 

I've chosen arguably (certainly Blurs) both best songs. 

Two superb bands. Oasis better, by quite a bit. They have a better b-side album than anything Blur (and most bands) have ever done. 

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Should have chosen Country House and Roll With It really. 

I was tempted but both are really shit and Country House is possibly the better song. Fuck that

Nice vote by the way you bastard, I didn't see that coming....  

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Oasis. 

I went to see Gerry Cinnamon last year, he always plays ‘Slide away’ about 10 minutes before he goes on stage. The entire place belted it out like their life’s depended on it. Oasis are still huge today, even with kids who weren’t born when definitely maybe came out. 

I've seen Noel and Liam since Oasis split up and its still pandemonium whenever the Oasis songs are belted out. All ages, proper sung with passion and gusto. I can fully see why people don't like them but nobody can deny the impact they have to this day and songs like Slide Away put paid to any claims of them being shit. If they weren't gobby bastards they would get a much easier ride from the purists. 

The media loved that battle of the Britpop bands shit, but so far as I can gather they never mentioned the real reason for Blur's chart victory, which was the formats they were released on.

Roll With It was released on 7", CD and cassette, but Country House came on 7" and two CDs, the second of which was a live EP. A lot of people bought both Blur CDs, so they were racking up loads of extra sales.

5 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The media loved that battle of the Britpop bands shit, but so far as I can gather they never mentioned the real reason for Blur's chart victory, which was the formats they were released on.

Roll With It was released on 7", CD and cassette, but Country House came on 7" and two CDs, the second of which was a live EP. A lot of people bought both Blur CDs, so they were racking up loads of extra sales.

Good documentary about the rise and fall of Brit-Pop this, covers a bit of that rivalry. Blur got a bit too cocky and ultimately Damon was left looking like a bit of a dickhead. He pretty much says so himself in this. One talented fella though. I watched their Glastonbury set on telly when the headlined and again a few weeks ago and it was/is superb. 

Honest vote, Oasis at the time were the goto band for the working class folk who wanted a good time. Blur seemed more for the middle class who had visions of grandeur. 

Who would I listen to most after the event? Tough one. Damon Albarn has shown he has the musical chops but so has Noel Gallagher. Gorillaz, Chemical Brothers. High Flying Birds, Graham Coxen. 

I'm just going with Oasis. Just. 

Hated Oasis from the moment I first heard them on the chart show with a video of shaker maker. Can't stand Liam's nasal voice. 

A lot of Blur's most successful songs got annoying after time but they've released some great stuff. Absolute no brainer for me and annoying Stig is just a happy bonus

• Upvote 1

Noels solo stuff is really fucking good. Took a risk with his last album like but it's still boss. 

Liam.... I genuinely winced when I heard he was doing solo stuff but fuck me his is great too. This song is outstanding 

I've just stuck my headphones in and got myself into an Oasis YouTube coma before the snooker and Champagne Supernova...... Laugh all you want but only The Beatles could make a song as good as that. 

Oasis are fucking boss. Yer mad fer it?

This is a little known politically charged Oasis b-side.

Blur haven't got this level of song on their unreleased album tracks let alone a b-side to a single. One of my favourite Oasis songs this. Someone give it a listen ....