You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Would rather Brasil had won. Cant stand Argentina. Could never back them what with new born babies being stolen from hospitals given to childless party members or hundreds of people disappearing without trace who opposed the rulers both military or civilian. But some say England's such a shit place, isnt it?

That's all very unpleasant of course but it has nothing to do with football, besides Brazil as a country hardly is a paragon of virtue when it comes to human rights.

• Upvote 1

On 10/07/2021 at 12:21, Creator Supreme said:

One of my favourite players when I was a kid! Very sad news.

Watched the ESPN tribute to him. His colleagues were genuinely gutted for him. I believe himand Steve Nicol were massive mates. Mariner was some player in his prime.RIP

59 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Watched the ESPN tribute to him. His colleagues were genuinely gutted for him. I believe himand Steve Nicol were massive mates. Mariner was some player in his prime.RIP

Great player. Used to love watching that Ipswich team in the late 70's/early 80's

23 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Tite seems to prefer Ederson for whatever reason. I can't see it, at all, but if this game doesn't turn around I don't think his opinion will matter for too much longer anyway.

He prefers Fred to Fabinho so I wouldn't be very pushed about his opinion

To be honest , the summer / international break could not have gone much better for us with barely anybody playing much , England getting Hendo fit for us , VvD and Joe back in full training and the likes of Mo and Sadio getting their first proper break for years.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, sir roger said:

To be honest , the summer / international break could not have gone much better for us with barely anybody playing much , England getting Hendo fit for us , VvD and Joe back in full training and the likes of Mo and Sadio getting their first proper break for years.

But annoying the Brazilian lads barely played and will probably miss the first game of the season though 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Yep. Joel back in training as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

It's brilliant. There might be some payback during the African Nations, but who knows what might happen with that if there is some new variant etc. None of our lads had any significant role at the business end of things bar Hendo. The samba scousers had a bit part role for Brazil. Konate not playing for France is perfect and if we did sign Saul Niguez, he didn't play with Spain.

I'm gutted that two of the nice lads in the England team missed. Saka seems like a lovely kid and Rashford is a great lad. I don't anything about Sancho but I'm sure he's a nice fella. Without getting into the Ingerlund/Scouse civil war from the other thread, I can't help but feel that an England team too heavy with Chelsea, City and United players tired and gutted a few weeks from the start of a new season is far from a bad thing for us. My wife only commented on a picture of Jurgen yesterday - he looks in great form and bang up for it. After a rough year for him, he's worth more than 3 world class players.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

According to the Echo, Studge is training with Mallorca on a trial basis. Hope it goes well for him.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-daniel-sturridge-club-trial-21041415

Daniel Sturridge seeing out his days in the Balearic Islands is something we probably all should have seen coming.

Manchester City are in line to raise around £100 million through transfer deals this summer before the potential sale of any senior players.

The Premier League champions are about to take their close season transfer income past the £50m mark with academy graduate Lukas Nmecha closing in on an £11.2m move to Wolfsburg.

City have already sold Jack Harrison and Angelino to Leeds United and RB Leipzig for £13m and £16m respectively this summer and netted £11.2m in sell-on fees and solidarity payments from their former winger Jadon Sancho’s £72.9m move to rivals Manchester United from Borussia Dortmund.

But City stand to double that £50m figure before the transfer window closes at the end of next month even if no one was to depart from Pep Guardiola’s established first-team squad.

Midfielders Yangel Herrera, Ivan Ilic and Morgan Rodgers and defender Pedro Porro could all be sold this summer in deals that could fetch an additional £50m. Former England Under-20 winger Patrick Roberts, 24, may also depart.

Herrera, a Venezuela international who joined City from Atletico Venezuela in 2017, has enjoyed a successful past two seasons on loan at Granada and is attracting interest from Spain as well as Crystal Palace, Southampton and West Ham United in the Premier League.

The 23 year-old - who is valued at up to £20m - previously spent a season on loan at New York City FC, one of Manchester City’s many sister clubs in the City Football Group stable.

Yangel Herrera in action for Venezuela against Colombia
Midfielders Yangel Herrera (right) is valued at around £20m Credit: AP

Porro, a 21-year-old right back who has been capped at senior level by Spain and is valued at £15m, was signed in 2019 from Girona, the Spanish club who are now part of the CFG empire. Porro impressed on loan at Sporting Lisbon last season and could yet move there permanently.

Ilic has attracted interest from Italy and could also fetch £15m after the 20-year-old Serbia defensive midfielder proved a hit on loan at Hellas Verona in Serie A last season. He previously spent a season on loan at NAC Breda, with whom City struck a working partnership in 2016.

City bought Rogers from West Bromwich Albion for around £7m in 2019 and the 18-year-old midfielder could depart for at least £10m this summer.

The situation provides further vindication of City’s business model of acquiring emerging talents from across the globe and allowing them to gain experience within the CFG pool, other clubs they have partnered with or elsewhere before selling them for bigger fees down the line.

Despite the huge cash windfall City expect to generate through such deals this summer, it is expected the champions will still need to offload a senior player or two if they are to stand a realistic chance of landing both Harry Kane and Jack Grealish, who combined could cost in excess of £200m.

Jack Grealish in action for England against Denmark at Euro 2020
Man City manager Pep Guardiola is a big fan of Jack Grealish (right) Credit: PA

In addition to financing the large fees, City would also have to find space on their wage bill - which had already jumped 11 per cent to £351m for the 2019/20 season - to accommodate big earners such as Kane and Grealish.

Midfielder Bernardo and defenders Aymeric Laporte and Benjamin Mendy are among a number of high-profile City players who have been linked with potential moves away. But those clubs who could afford hefty fees and wages for such players are likely to be few and far between this summer given the way the coronavirus pandemic has hit income streams across football.

England forward Raheem Sterling - who has entered the final two years of his contract - is due to be offered a new deal and Riyad Mahrez, who also has two years to run on his contract, wants to stay.

“What if I want to go higher? I do not see what is higher [than City],” the Algeria winger, 30, said this week. “I really love England and English football is wonderful. I don’t want to leave. I still have goals to pursue here.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/07/16/manchester-city-looking-bank-100m-transfer-deals-even-selling/