Quantcast
Other football - 2020/21 - Page 675 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
WhiskeyJar

Other football - 2020/21

Away goal rule gone, just like that. No votes, no discussion, no revisiting the original arguments for it's inception in 1965. Thanks UEFA you absolute pricks. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, m0e said:

Have you got any official links to this? I ask because I can't find any.

I did, however, attend a UEFA seminar many years ago in Dubai, and the official there explained the idea as encouraging the away team "to be more attack minded" as they would often settle for a clean sheet, particularly in the first leg.

Not sure who you are sir! I've not been to anything as grand as UEFA seminars in Dubai - I did a sports night with Jeff Winter in the Derbyshire years ago!  Not sure on your point of view, no proof but the old European cup as you know was arbitrary - I'd always assumed it was to even up a second leg home tie. 

Considering how defensive European Football used to be UEFA got that wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

Not sure who you are sir! Not on that, no proof but the old European cup as you know was arbitrary - I'd always assumed it was to even up a second leg home tie. 

Considering how defensive European Football used to be UEFA got that wrong.

I'm not sure who I am either!

Here's the Wikipedia entry, and I've highlighted the interesting bit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_goals_rule

Screenshot_20210624-165404_Chrome.jpg

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/026a-1298aeb73a7a-5b64cb68d920-1000--abolition-of-the-away-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/

“It is fair to say that home advantage is nowadays no longer as significant as it once was,“ the UEFA President concluded. “Taking into consideration the consistency across Europe in terms of styles of play, and many different factors which have led to a decline in home advantage, the UEFA Executive Committee has taken the correct decision in adopting the view that it is no longer appropriate for an away goal to carry more weight than one scored at home.”

This is a poxy decision, its unbelievablely shit. Away goals have provided the tension that made so many matches brilliant. Gudjonnson's shot in 05, does it carry the same significance if it only results in extra time? I still shit myself when I see replays of it a generation later. If it changes the result to a draw rather than a defeat i just can't imagine the impact being anywhere near as significant.

Spurs City in 2019, away goals made that tie. The Barca game at Anfield, the away goal was lurking in the back of the mind throughout, that heightens the feeling within the game, best performance ever yet your out with one kick of a ball if you're not careful. That's what brings the despair and the hope, it will be back in a couple of years after the drama fades.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Madness... it's given some great games, I'd sooner it than teams playing for pens... 

Not for me.

Massively unfair when teams get extra time in 2nd leg to win on it too.

It was brought in when home advantage was a really big thing, it isn't now and for me it is the right decision to jib it.

43 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not for me.

Massively unfair when teams get extra time in 2nd leg to win on it too.

It was brought in when home advantage was a really big thing, it isn't now and for me it is the right decision to jib it.

Only 2 goals were scored last year in extra time, and from 1970 to 2013 only 14 teams went through as the away team in extra time when scoring. 

I’ve just put in the actual thread on this. 

The game & competition has evolved since 1965 - clubs are more comfortable playing abroad and the game is generally more attacking.

In the last 3.5 season (2020 being the .5 seeing it was finished in Portugal) only 6 ties have been finished by away goals. 14%. Hardly worth getting upset over IMO.

The way those games were approached is a little more telling I would say - and the fact that so few were decided that way probably points to a significant home field advantage for the bigger sides.

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’ve just put in the actual thread on this. 

The game & competition has evolved since 1965 - clubs are more comfortable playing abroad and the game is generally more attacking.

In the last 3.5 season (2020 being the .5 seeing it was finished in Portugal) only 6 ties have been finished by away goals. 14%. Hardly worth getting upset over IMO.

I'ts precisely why it's worth getting upset over, esp if you're a smaller team. 

33 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Only 2 goals were scored last year in extra time, and from 1970 to 2013 only 14 teams went through as the away team in extra time when scoring. 

Atletico v us a few years ago is one that sticks in mind.

Glad they got rid of that weird away goals rule.

Now they need to give the goaltenders helmets and start a stopwatch when the offense kickers break the halfway mark. 

3 hours ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Would that read differently without the away goal rule though? That's the thing to consider here.

I don't remember many extra time ties. That's going to increase significantly without the away goal advantage, I would have thought.

Fuck, got the nights mixed up. Thought Chile were playing tomorrow at missed the first 10 mins. The BBC have ditched the newbie commentator for this one too, it doesn't sound right now.

Paraguay played well there, Chile barely had a chance on goal the entire game. Hoping Medel is ok for the next match after going off and that Sanchez is finally back too.

Reading a story regarding Mason Greenwood being asked to change his allegiance from England to Jamaica. The interesting thing is that they state that a player who is under 21 and has not played 3 competitive games can switch. Wasn't aware of this ruling but approve of it as it makes it more difficult for a cynical manager just throwing a youngster on for two minutes in a game and tying up a lad for ever.

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Reading a story regarding Mason Greenwood being asked to change his allegiance from England to Jamaica. The interesting thing is that they state that a player who is under 21 and has not played 3 competitive games can switch. Wasn't aware of this ruling but approve of it as it makes it more difficult for a cynical manager just throwing a youngster on for two minutes in a game and tying up a lad for ever.

Two words. Declan. Rice. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I had Mason mount and Mason greenwood mixed up for a minute there. I was wondering how the fuck he's got Jamaican ancestry. 

13 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I had Mason mount and Mason greenwood mixed up for a minute there. I was wondering how the fuck he's got Jamaican ancestry. 

Over 3% of Jamaicans are white, I believe.