You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

I think that was one of the better matches I've seen, liked it. I hope Vargas is back for the next game too after going off holding his leg. Rocket of a goal from him in the 1st half as well.

The BBC commentry is a bit mental too. It's just one guy on his own and tonight he said at least 5 times that both Uruguay and Chile were without a win in 2021 but he was commentating when Chile beat Bolivia 3 nights ago. He could really do with someone else there to help him out.

On 22/06/2021 at 00:11, Red Phoenix said:

The BBC commentry is a bit mental too. It's just one guy on his own and tonight he said at least 5 times that both Uruguay and Chile were without a win in 2021 but he was commentating when Chile beat Bolivia 3 nights ago. He could really do with someone else there to help him out.

Sam Kelly the argentine football journalist, I think this is his first ever go at commentary, gives an indication I suppose that the BBC aren't exactly spending big bucks on this.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fucking great goal this, RIP Dalian

He was the closest thing I remember to Barnes at the time, and thay goal proved it.

I desperately wanted him at Anfield. He wasn't consistent enough, but was such a talent.

Ecuador and Peru in a barn-burner.

2-0 Ecuador at the half, Peru equalize in the first ten minutes of the second half and they take turns missing chances after that.

And now Colombia have taken the lead vs Brazil early on.

Not a bad day's entertainment for the off-season.

17 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Sam Kelly the argentine football journalist, I think this is his first ever go at commentary, gives an indication I suppose that the BBC aren't exactly spending big bucks on this.

He does sound new to it. I don't even mind him really, probably nerves causing him to make mistakes as he gets used to it. If they had someone with him he'd at least not have to do all the speaking himself. The BBC are really stupid putting him on there on his own.

Away Goals rule scrapped as of next year! If level after 90 minutes of the second leg there will be extra time! Not sure how I feel about this. Seems a big advantage to playing at home second leg - which the away goals was supposed to counter. 

1 hour ago, Jockey said:

Away Goals rule scrapped as of next year! If level after 90 minutes of the second leg there will be extra time! Not sure how I feel about this. Seems a big advantage to playing at home second leg - which the away goals was supposed to counter. 

The away goals was supposed to (and did) encourage away teams to attack. It wasn't brought in to even out home advantage.

15 minutes ago, m0e said:

The away goals was supposed to (and did) encourage away teams to attack. It wasn't brought in to even out home advantage.

Apparently it was brought in to help even up two legged ties because clubs didn’t fly for away legs and that was considered a big disadvantage. 

It does have its faults, as does scrapping it. 

But overall having grown up watching European competitions with the away goals rule I’d much rather it stayed. 

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Apparently it was brought in to help even up two legged ties because clubs didn’t fly for away legs and that was considered a big disadvantage. 

But overall having grown up watching European competitions with the away goals rule I’d much rather it stayed. 

Have you got any official links to this? I ask because I can't find any.

I did, however, attend a UEFA seminar many years ago in Dubai, and the official there explained the idea as encouraging the away team "to be more attack minded" as they would often settle for a clean sheet, particularly in the first leg.

22 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

It was brought in by the powers that be to stop Everton winning in Europe. That and Collina.