You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

He'd been holding the Canadians to that point, with several fine saves.

And he made a few more after that as well.

A youngster replacing the regular keeper, who couldn't travel for some reason.

Ironically enough, he was born in Canada.

There were some fuck-ups with the visas (including the first choice keeper), apparently.

29 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Ben Brereton of Blackburn Rovers got the winner for Chile against Bolivia in the Copa America last night! Doesn't sound like a Chilean name to me, whatever happened to having a name like Salas?

He won the Under-19 Euros with England a few years ago. Qualifies for Chile via his mother, apparently - probably more likely to win an international tournament with them than England.

50 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

He won the Under-19 Euros with England a few years ago. Qualifies for Chile via his mother, apparently - probably more likely to win an international tournament with them than England.

How's that work with playing for one side and switching to another? I know Costa did it playing for Spain over Brasil as a relatively well qualified player, is it an age thing or a caps thing?

On 16/06/2021 at 14:09, polymerpunkah said:

He'd been holding the Canadians to that point, with several fine saves.

And he made a few more after that as well.

A youngster replacing the regular keeper, who couldn't travel for some reason.

Ironically enough, he was born in Canada.

Clearly it didn't rub off on him, because he barely got aboot on that ball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

How's that work with playing for one side and switching to another? I know Costa did it playing for Spain over Brasil as a relatively well qualified player, is it an age thing or a caps thing?

I think they changed the rules some time ago.  I think its now that you have to play in a competitive full game - but i could be wrong?  

I always remember the Stuart Mc Call story.  In those days, as soon as you played for the U21's you couldn't play for anyone else and there was a practice where teams would bring someone on as a sub in the  last minute to claim them if they ever got good enough.  

Mc Call was waiting on the touchline to come on for Eng U21's when the final whistle went.  Had he come on, he wouldn't have been able to represent Scotland as he did later in his career 

6 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

I think they changed the rules some time ago.  I think its now that you have to play in a competitive full game - but i could be wrong?  

I always remember the Stuart Mc Call story.  In those days, as soon as you played for the U21's you couldn't play for anyone else and there was a practice where teams would bring someone on as a sub in the  last minute to claim them if they ever got good enough.  

Mc Call was waiting on the touchline to come on for Eng U21's when the final whistle went.  Had he come on, he wouldn't have been able to represent Scotland as he did later in his career 

When you say full game is it the full 90 or you just got subbed on for 3 minutes in injury time?

41 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

When you say full game is it the full 90 or you just got subbed on for 3 minutes in injury time?

I think its full as in first team international, not junior teams and not friendlies.

John Fashanu played 2 games for the full side, but they were both friendlies.  He was then approached by Nigeria, but turned them down 

1 minute ago, Marko121 said:

I think its full as in first team international, not junior teams and not friendlies.

John Fashanu played 2 games for the full side, but they were both friendlies.  He was then approached by Nigeria, but turned them down 

I understand now.

54 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

You just have to play in a competitive international. It doesn't matter how many minutes you played or whether you even touched the ball.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

You just have to play in a competitive international. It doesn't matter how many minutes you played or whether you even touched the ball.

Yeah. If you've appeared in a FIFA or one of its confederations international competitions such as World Cup, European Championships, AFCON, you cannot play for another country.

If you played in 'friendlies' you can still switch.

Im not certain if appearing in UEFA's Nations League would now prevent a player swapping international countries. It's a UEFA competition so would have thought it would count?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Was really glad to see Brereton get a goal so quickly for Chile, I thought the rest of the match was frustrating to watch though. Apart from the goal I thought Bolivia's keeper did well early on too when under pressure.

Noticed this goes to quarter finals after the group stage. So only one team gets knocked out from each group?

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Noticed this goes to quarter finals after the group stage. So only one team gets knocked out from each group?

I'd seen on livescore that the groups only had one not making it but hadn't thought to even check why, guess that explains it. It's been a good while since I've watched the Copa so can't remember how it's usually set up.

31 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'd seen on livescore that the groups only had one not making it but hadn't thought to even check why, guess that explains it. It's been a good while since I've watched the Copa so can't remember how it's usually set up.

I haven't watched any Chile games for about a year. I remember that kid Brereton when he came through at Forest about three or four years ago. Looked very talented. I had no idea he could qualify for Chile (same way I would have had I been a decent footballer - born in the UK but with a Chilean mother).

No idea when he decided to represent them. Guess he was always more likely to get a game for Chile than for England.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I haven't watched any Chile games for about a year. I remember that kid Brereton when he came through at Forest about three or four years ago. Looked very talented. I had no idea he could qualify for Chile (same way I would have had I been a decent footballer - born in the UK but with a Chilean mother).

No idea when he decided to represent them. Guess he was always more likely to get a game for Chile than for England.

Ah, awesome! Didn't realise that's was why you watched them. I'm glad he decided to play for them too, even if he did get games for England I prefer the way Chile play way more and it might help him develop better as a player.

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Ah, awesome! Didn't realise that's was why you watched them. I'm glad he decided to play for them too, even if he did get games for England I prefer the way Chile play way more and it might help him develop better as a player.

I much prefer South American international football in general. Far fewer dull games.