You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

29 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I really liked England under Venables. They really should have won the Euro's in 96. They were only a Gazza toe poke from putting Germany out in the semi's. 

I still find it mad that England didn’t make a single substitution in that semi final game not even in extra time 

39 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I really liked England under Venables. They really should have won the Euro's in 96. They were only a Gazza toe poke from putting Germany out in the semi's. 

If they could take a fucking penalty against Germany, they might have 2 World Cups and a Euro under their belts now.

Dare I say, the useless Kuntz.

3 hours ago, skaro said:

Yes, your point stands.  

I was confident Croatia had them held, for sure.

And yet , at 1-0 in that game Kane had a chance to put the ball into a more or less empty net for 2-0 , and I will never comprehend how a Croatian toe kept it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

And yet , at 1-0 in that game Kane had a chance to put the ball into a more or less empty net for 2-0 , and I will never comprehend how a Croatian toe kept it out.

Those nationalist toes of "right wing backs" have a habit of occasionally over-performing.  Their folk songs, as a case in point, are laden with fairy-like metaphors and miracles.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

We just seem no have no particular pattern of play, and to be fair to Southgate this has been going on for years and years. All of the top teams seem to have a core of 8 or 9 dependables whereas our lineups change constantly.

The selection policy of England for years has been to be pick a squad of highly rated players whether they are performing or not and just shoe horn as many of the big names into the team even if it means playing some out of position. 

A combination of that selection policy and the complete ignorance and/or lack of intelligence of the players pretty much guarantees failure.

It's very evident when you see ex England internationals as pundits talking about how European opposition should be decimated by English clubs in the Champions League then being completely baffled when it turns out that apparently a Bayern side full of internationals aren't a load of shite.

They do the same when talking about other international sides, slagging off German strikers like Klose for not being as good as some of the English players with seemingly no understanding of the fact they were trying to select a team that would work. Not playing Rooney as a midfielder and thinking he's suddenly turned into Pirlo.

There is a reason why none of them ever turn into good managers and that the top teams in England are all managed by foreigners.

Whole game in Britain needs a massive change in mindset and until that happens England will continue to lose out to supposedly lesser teams through a mixture of arrogance, stupidity and having no tactical ability.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

There is a reason why none of them ever turn into good managers and that the top teams in England are all managed by foreigners.

Whole game in Britain needs a massive change in mindset and until that happens England will continue to lose out to supposedly lesser teams through a mixture of arrogance, stupidity and having no tactical ability.

In the last decade, the highest Premier League place achieved by an English manager is 4th. Redknapp did that in 2012 with Spurs, and Lampard did it with Chelsea in 2020. In the previous decade, Bobby Robson finished as high as 3rd with Newcastle, once. He got another top 4 place with them, as did Redknapp with Spurs at the end of the decade. Five years ago, the highest placed English manager was Pardew, and he finished 15th with Palace!

You get the odd few who are prepared to chance their arm outside England in a weaker league, like McClaren with Twente in Holland, or Stevie at Rangers. Both have at least managed to win a league title. The last English manager to win a major trophy in England was Harry Redknapp with Portsmouth, the FA Cup in 2008. Otherwise, the rest of them would rather stay in England and be highly paid rather than achieving anything. The 'achieving anything' bit might be something they actually want, but from the outside looking in it seems that English managers just want a job for the money.

Jurgen Klopp gets a lot of shit from the media for apparently not taking the FA Cup or League Cup seriously, but there are a ton of English managers who are far more guilty of that. Of course it's possible for a smaller club to win a trophy, but every time that has happened recently, it has been a non-English manager in charge.

One of my Dad's arch-Australian football rivals from the '50 and '60s, George "Chopper" Arnott, an ex-Hearts youth player, has died.

This might make for interesting reading perhaps, with a Scottish flavour, for anyone who might have a bent for obscure football nostalgia:  

http://walterplessonsoccer.blogspot.com/2021/06/vale-george-chopper-arnott.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skaro said:

One of my Dad's arch-Australian football rivals from the '50 and '60s, George "Chopper" Arnott, an ex-Hearts youth player, has died.

This might make for interesting reading perhaps, with a Scottish flavour, for anyone who might have a bent for obscure football nostalgia:  

Is the Tony Skaro mentioned in the piece any relation of yours?

2 hours ago, skaro said:

Repped. Any relation to William Arnott - the biscuit manufacturer?