You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Imagine moving a football tournament from a country because of covid concerns and then deciding it should be played in Brazil instead. How fucking completely stupid do they have to be to decide that.

I don’t think stupidity comes into it.

tenor.gif?itemid=3555044

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

I don’t think stupidity comes into it.

tenor.gif?itemid=3555044

Yep probably. They'd better hope some dodgy deal they made for it to take place in Brazil never gets found out with the lives they're risking if so.

Reminds me a bit of the Qatar world cup and all of the horrible crap surrounding that too, definitely not watching any of that.

It's always been a weird tournament scheduling-wise. It should be held at the same time as the Euros, every 4 years, to give players adequate rest, and to allow teams to develop rather than be cobbled together. Oh, and keep it South American by not inviting the likes of Mexico, USA and Japan every time. Those teams already take part in tournaments organised by their continental federations. Mexico have come close to winning it on a couple of occasions, and the USA hosted the Centenary edition of the tournament in 2016. How embarrassing is it for a landmark competition to have to be held outside the continent? If you need to make up the numbers, just allow Suriname and Guyana (both actual South American countries) into CONMEBOL. They might be whipping boys, but you'll have 12 teams.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It's always been a weird tournament scheduling-wise. It should be held at the same time as the Euros, every 4 years, to give players adequate rest, and to allow teams to develop rather than be cobbled together. Oh, and keep it South American by not inviting the likes of Mexico, USA and Japan every time. Those teams already take part in tournaments organised by their continental federations. Mexico have come close to winning it on a couple of occasions, and the USA hosted the Centenary edition of the tournament in 2016. How embarrassing is it for a landmark competition to have to be held outside the continent? If you need to make up the numbers, just allow Suriname and Guyana (both actual South American countries) into CONMEBOL. They might be whipping boys, but you'll have 12 teams.

Israel not in it? 

2 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

I’ll be shocked if Conte ends up at Spurs. Levy must be promising some serious wedge to spend on players.

Levy will be Kaneing it in. Plenty of cash for spending in.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Conte to Spurs just shows how big the draw of the league is. Spurs should be getting nowhere near someone of his calibre, yet this looks like it could really happen.

Maybe some -- but they have underperformed on the field for years and are better positioned than say, Arsenal moving forward.

Their revenues are good, Inter are skint - it has to be in the top 10-15 managerial positions in the world. That is about where Conte lies on the pyramid. 

34 minutes ago, stringvest said:

of course, but I'm intrigued by the idea.  An extended popcorn moment, watching it all play out.  Like a multi-act play, which you could almost write before the event

Much as I love Rafa, I'm not sure I'd like to see Everton winning the league next season. 

• Upvote 1