You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah City will. Curtain raiser City home or away to Brentford on the Friday night. 

I wish Brentford still played at Griffin Park. Went there with Celtic for a friendly and it was a superb day. Pubs all over the place. 

Wasn't Griffin park the only ground in the football league to have a pub on every corner? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We will get them first up.

I look forward to see them going down again. Small time little Englanders. Will be singing sign on sign on and all the other sterotypical scouse songs when we play them.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah City will. Curtain raiser City home or away to Brentford on the Friday night. 

I wish Brentford still played at Griffin Park. Went there with Celtic for a friendly and it was a superb day. Pubs all over the place. 

There was one on each corner of the ground. One of them was used to film Green Street in it.

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I look forward to see them going down again. Small time little Englanders. Will be singing sign on sign on and all the other sterotypical scouse songs when we play them.

I'd be surprised. Brentford as a town isn't really like that. It's fairly bohemian with a typical London mix of council estates and middle class victorian terraces, but it has a liberal feel to it. Know a few Brentford supporters as well and they're sound.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I'd be surprised. Brentford as a town isn't really like that. It's fairly bohemian with a typical London mix of council estates and middle class victorian terraces, but it has a liberal feel to it. Know a few Brentford supporters as well and they're sound.

I hope you're right but I remain dubious. I guess time will tell, I hope you are right.

Brentford perhaps should have come up last season, but they had the triple-whammy of not getting to grips with post-lockdown football, the buzz of moving to their new stadium completely killed off by fans not being allowed in, and simply running out of gas down the home stretch. Despite losing two of their potent trio of attackers, they seem to have adapted well, added a goal threat in Toney and crucially maintained their energy levels late into the season.

If nothing else, it's good to have a new team in the top flight rather than the yoyo clubs who generally go through the full reportoire of LMA bums.

I lived in Shepherd's Bush for a while and though it is a QPR strongehold, I think there were more Chelsea fans about - certainly more Chelsea shirts. I don't recall any issues with Brentford, but I'm sure they have a smattering of knobheads amongst their support.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Brentford perhaps should have come up last season, but they had the triple-whammy of not getting to grips with post-lockdown football, the buzz of moving to their new stadium completely killed off by fans not being allowed in, and simply running out of gas down the home stretch. Despite losing two of their potent trio of attackers, they seem to have adapted well, added a goal threat in Toney and crucially maintained their energy levels late into the season.

If nothing else, it's good to have a new team in the top flight rather than the yoyo clubs who generally go through the full reportoire of LMA bums.

I lived in Shepherd's Bush for a while and though it is a QPR strongehold, I think there were more Chelsea fans about - certainly more Chelsea shirts. I don't recall any issues with Brentford, but I'm sure they have a smattering of knobheads amongst their support.

If you were going to see issues with Brentford supporters, it'd have been in games with QPR - they really don't like each other. There's a nice community feel to the place, and as you mentioned, all the cunts in the area tend to support Chelsea anyway.

Glad they went up this year. I reckon they'll come straight down again, and they deserve their season in front of supporters. They wouldn't have had that this year.

Lived in West London for many years and had a season ticket at Brentford for a few of them so I'm thrilled they're coming up. I really enjoyed my time watching them, they always tried to play good football and developed some really good talent, who should be able to improve. Most of the supporters I met were very decent, 'long-suffering' would be a good description so they deserve their chance to see top-flight football. When I moved away and didn't renew my season ticket, I got a phone call from the Chairman, very politely asking me why. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen at many PL clubs.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Any excuse...

giphy-downsized.gif

Brilliant.

Sat in the Kop that day, I can still see it in my minds eye from game. 

His first touch wasn’t great and he just thinks “Meh, fuck it”. 

If that had gone in, I’d have just gone straight to the First Aid booth and ask them to take me to hospital. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

There shouldn't be a play off trophy. You get promotion great but a trophy, shove it up everyone's arse.

I agree. 

What did Watford, who finished 4 points ahead Brentford, get?

I don’t agree with the play off in general. The 3 best sides over 46 games should come up. Quite often, average sides have a good finish and come up. 

However, the drama of the play offs is nearly always incredible.

That year, with the game heading for ET, Leicester missing a penalty in injury time to put the final, Watford countering and scoring to put them in the final, was just amazing.

Or Leeds v Derby last season. I live close to Elland Rd and can reasonably often here the crowd, but nothing was like when they made in 2-2 in that game. It was like it the game was in my back garden. 

While I don’t agree with the overall principle, I do enjoy the entertainment iy

brings.

Like the away goals rule.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

There shouldn't be a play off trophy. You get promotion great but a trophy, shove it up everyone's arse.

Indeed. But I do hope it's the next trophy Everton win, on about their fifth time of asking. That club is desperately in need of a parade for something. Let it be that.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Brilliant.

Sat in the Kop that day, I can still see it in my minds eye from game. 

His first touch wasn’t great and he just thinks “Meh, fuck it”. 

If that had gone in, I’d have just gone straight to the First Aid booth and ask them to take me to hospital. 

How the fuck does kolo miss the rebound?