You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Thank fuck for that. I think Leicester in the final would put up more resistance than Southampton. 

Chelsea seem to do well in the FA Cup. Pity we dont bother with it anymore. 

It is 'impossible' for top sides to compete on all fronts.

Well according to some anyway.

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Why do you think it's only the oil money teams that seem to be able to do it?

Winning and competing for are different things.

We've jibbed the domestic cups for too long IMO with at times some terrible team selections (draws have been a bastard to us as well mind) 

For me we absolutely could and should have been doing better in them - but club has made its choice.

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is 'impossible' for top sides to compete on all fronts.

Well according to some anyway.

To my knowledge, only 3 English teams have done trebles since 1999. How come like none did it since the early 60s when more that 3 trophies existed and only 3 have since 1999? Your claim doesnt stack up.

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

It really isn't.

We just choose not to try on two.

We have maybe 13-14 top standard players. Sides with unlimited resources have maybe 18- 20.  I thought this season had made that obvious. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

To my knowledge, only 3 English teams have done trebles since 1999. How come like none did it since the early 60s when more that 3 trophies existed and only 3 have since 1999? Your claim doesnt stack up.

2 minutes ago, aws said:

We have maybe 13-14 top standard players. Sides with unlimited resources have maybe 18- 20.  I thought this season had made that obvious. 

We could easily have much closer to that 18 if we weren't paying crocks and sub standard players like Oxlade for example big money.

We've done great of course in previous two seasons - and of course nobody would change that, but i stand by my assertion that our attitude towards the domestic cups in last 4/5 years has been poor....we could and should be doing better.

• Downvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

By winning and competing you mean 'competing' is losing in what, quarter finals, semi finals, finals and finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the league?

I honestly think sometimes youd have sacrificed winning the title last season to have 'competed' in the FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League and fallen between all the stools.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

By winning and competing you mean 'competing' is losing in what, quarter finals, semi finals, finals and finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the league?

I honestly think sometimes youd have sacrificed winning the title last season to have 'competed' in the FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League and fallen between all the stools.

That statement alone makes conversing with you any further on this subject utterly futile.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Haha. Yeah whatever. What does 'competing' mean then seeing as it's different to winning?

Picking a strong team.

Having enough quality depth to make changes and not see the drop off in quality be fucking huge.

It isn't just about the games themselves - bad results can, do and will happen whatever you do - its about how approach them and how you are equipped to approach them with your squad and the depth/reliability it has and how you look to strengthen it year on year....especially from a position of strength like we have had over last couple of years or so.

If you are happy with our approach to the domestic cups then good for you, there are fans who aren't too.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

Picking a strong team.

Having enough quality depth to make changes and not see the drop off in quality be fucking huge.

It isn't just about the games themselves - bad results can, do and will happen whatever you do - its about how approach them and how you are equipped to approach them with your squad and the depth/reliability it has and how you look to strengthen it year on year....especially from a position of strength like we have had over last couple of years or so.

If you are happy with our approach to the domestic cups then good for you, there are fans who aren't too.

Look mate. You're entitled to your opinion. Id love to win 2 or 3 trophies every now and then but I think a sense of realism is needed.

The league cup and european competition start earlier in the season. A manager is always going to prioritise top 4 in the league (for next season's european qualification) and as a springboard to a title charge and European competition above the LC.

The FA Cup starts early January by which time you can have an idea whether you're in with a chance of the title and European group stage qualification is coming to a head.

People were still saying we werent winning the title round about January because it was the Liverpool way. But we likely wouldnt have been in that position if we'd gone eyeballs out in the LC. People absolutely shat themselves after the Watford result and form for the rest of the league campaign.

The way I see it, all other clubs treat the domestic cups as 2nd string competitions. Guardiola even put out a 2nd string today when his quadruple was on the line. Priorities and he's had a shitload of money to build his squad.

Until the FA and EFL find some way to force clubs to play their best 11 in every round of the competitions, Im ok with Jurgen and any LFC manager fielding 2nd string sides in the cups.

Im sorry, to me there's no point just competing. It's what moyes did. I want to win and I expect any team we put out to win whatever the competition. But Im also realistic that when it comes 2nd string against another club who isnt in Europe or happy just to be mid table in the league, they may turn us over.

• Upvote 1

I’d love a few good domestic cup runs & wins, but I understand the way the club is run these days view them as significantly lower priority. 

Doesn’t mean I agree with it, I love the big days out with massive away fans (visitors and visiting) and Wembley is always exciting but I know this will be our view from the start and set my expectations accordingly. 

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Look mate. You're entitled to your opinion. Id love to win 2 or 3 trophies every now and then but I think a sense of realism is needed.

The league cup and european competition start earlier in the season. A manager is always going to prioritise top 4 in the league (for next season's european qualification) and as a springboard to a title charge and European competition above the LC.

The FA Cup starts early January by which time you can have an idea whether you're in with a chance of the title and European group stage qualification is coming to a head.

People were still saying we werent winning the title round about January because it was the Liverpool way. But we likely wouldnt have been in that position if we'd gone eyeballs out in the LC. People absolutely shat themselves after the Watford result and form for the rest of the league campaign.

The way I see it, all other clubs treat the domestic cups as 2nd string competitions. Guardiola even put out a 2nd string today when his quadruple was on the line. Priorities and he's had a shitload of money to build his squad.

Until the FA and EFL find some way to force clubs to play their best 11 in every round of the competitions, Im ok with Jurgen and any LFC manager fielding 2nd string sides in the cups.

Im sorry, to me there's no point just competing. It's what moyes did. I want to win and I expect any team we put out to win whatever the competition. But Im also realistic that when it comes 2nd string against another club who isnt in Europe or happy just to be mid table in the league, they may turn us over.

Different strokes and all that i suppose.

I just don't see personally how you can say 'competing' is no good and only winning will do.....IMHO you can't even begin to hope for winning unless you first actually compete properly (and even then there is of course no guarantee)

As i say though different strokes and opinions and all that, no biggie.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

City have won the League Cup 6 out of the last 8 years - it is pretty meaningless these days.

That said I would relish an FA Cup.

Expected. City’s second team would finish top 4.

Steffen

Cancelo

Laporte

Ake

Zinchencko

Fernandinho

Foden

B. Silva

Mahrez

Torres

Aguero