You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

18 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The Premier League’s UEFA coefficient is going to take a hit next season with Leicester and West Ham in the CL and us treating the Europa like it has rabies.

It always takes a hit when we aren't in the ascendency. Something the authorities in this country really ought to make note of.

The attitude of rather not being in the UEFA Cup is bollocks and reeks of something Spurs fans say or something Brendan Rodgers would prefer. We have a big enough squad with plenty of good young players. Giving Ox, Keita and Neco etc more minutes in less important games can only be a good thing. If they carry us through to the knockouts then bring in the ringers to have a crack at another European trophy. We’re Liverpool not fucking West Ham, we should be able to compete on all fronts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Bayern set to wrap up their 9th straight tile in early April.

It is their 16th in 18 seasons.

How? Werder Bremen won it in 2004, Stuttgart in 2007, Wolfsburg in 2009, then Dortmund in 2011 and 2012.

If we miss out on the Europa League, we'll likely end up in the even shitter Europa Conference League, if that's still going ahead. I reckon we should be going all out in every league game now, we need to tie up fourth if at all possible. If nothing else building up a run of form should help us in the Champions League too.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, you're right - got me count wrong 16 out of 20 - 9 straight

If you're going back 20 years, then Dortmund also won it in 2002, so it'd be 14 out of the last 20 titles for Bayern. Juventus have a similar record in Italy over the same period, and that's despite having 2 titles stripped off them and being relegated to Serie B because of Calciopoli. Like all big clubs, Juventus have looked to strengthen a winning squad every year, but Bayern are the only ones who systematically cherry-pick their domestic rivals' best players to either get back on top or keep the rest at arm's length. What is annoying is that all the other clubs do very little to prevent it.

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

If you're going back 20 years, then Dortmund also won it in 2002, so it'd be 14 out of the last 20 titles for Bayern. Juventus have a similar record in Italy over the same period, and that's despite having 2 titles stripped off them and being relegated to Serie B because of Calciopoli. Like all big clubs, Juventus have looked to strengthen a winning squad every year, but Bayern are the only ones who systematically cherry-pick their domestic rivals' best players to either get back on top or keep the rest at arm's length. What is annoying is that all the other clubs do very little to prevent it.

I couldn't agree more. 

I'm not one for banging the "best league in the world" drum regarding the Premierleague, but out of the top leagues in world football, its definitely the hardest to win. There's usually at least 3 teams that can win it any season. 

But the bundesliga is possibly the least competitive in terms of teams that can win it. Its literally bayern, that's it. 

Even though Juve have won the Serie A title the last few years, at least inter and Ac tend to compete. 

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Even though Juve have won the Serie A title the last few years, at least inter and Ac tend to compete. 

The two Milan clubs, especially AC Milan, haven't been close to competitive in Serie A for the best part of a decade. They've both been better this season, and Inter look well placed to win the league, but Juventus have pretty much had things all their own way. I think Napoli a few years ago were the closest to breaking Juve's domination but they couldn't get over the line and that side has gradually been broken up.

5 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The two Milan clubs, especially AC Milan, haven't been close to competitive in Serie A for the best part of a decade. They've both been better this season, and Inter look well placed to win the league, but Juventus have pretty much had things all their own way. I think Napoli a few years ago were the closest to breaking Juve's domination but they couldn't get over the line and that side has gradually been broken up.

Didn't Inter just lose out last season?

3 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

The attitude of rather not being in the UEFA Cup is bollocks and reeks of something Spurs fans say or something Brendan Rodgers would prefer. We have a big enough squad with plenty of good young players. Giving Ox, Keita and Neco etc more minutes in less important games can only be a good thing. If they carry us through to the knockouts then bring in the ringers to have a crack at another European trophy. We’re Liverpool not fucking West Ham, we should be able to compete on all fronts.

When I started reading I knew I didnt agree with you. After reading I’m not so sure any more. Still tend to think we’d be better off without the Europa , but you do make a few good points. Good post.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

When I started reading I knew I didnt agree with you. After reading I’m not so sure any more. Still tend to think we’d be better off without the Europa , but you do make a few good points. Good post.

I understand the reality is that not travelling to Buttfuckistahn will put us in good stead for a crack at the title but it’s small time as fuck. I just don’t see why this team can’t do both especially if Klopp rests the main players for trips to Buttfuckistahn etc. I think it’s a good competition for players like Elliott and a good shop window for the unshiftables. 

Won’t be an issue like because I think we’ll have a good crack at the European Cup and finish in the top four. 

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Bayern set to wrap up their 9th straight title in early April.

It is their 16th in 18 seasons.

Who won the other 2? It sounds like a big achievement to get one over on bayern, I think we should sign whoever was managing them. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

What the fuck?

I referee kids football and sometimes the opposition will ask a player for his signature to make sure he's not a banger. Probably what happened here.