You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

4 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Jota’s injury the moment that broke our season really. He’s phenomenal, just a brilliantly efficient and effective footballer.

Jota was a huge blow for us. I think VVD and then a couple of weeks later losing Gomez was the bigger problem for us.

On 18/02/2021 at 06:17, Grinch said:

Wonder what team that acts like a big club will Haaland be at next year.  Far too good for the shite bundesliga for sure. 

Chelsea probably. 

We'll see.

I suggest those thinking Haaland will cure any team's problems take a look at his two latest "performances" for Norway. Both Salzburg and Dortmund put chances on a plate for him every game they play (check out Patson Daka's goalscoring for RB). Ask him to link up and combine (which he would have to do if playing for us and City), and he's not even average. #White Lukaku#

Haaland's obviously a very good and physically gifted young striker. Way overhyped though.

23 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Jota was a huge blow for us. I think VVD and then a couple of weeks later losing Gomez was the bigger problem for us.

Ah of course, that was absolutely critical undoubtedly. My point is we were still solidering on and making a good fist of competing, Jota’s injury was the nail in the coffin though.

19 minutes ago, lebron said:

We'll see.

I suggest those thinking Haaland will cure any team's problems take a look at his two latest "performances" for Norway. Both Salzburg and Dortmund put chances on a plate for him every game they play (check out Patson Daka's goalscoring for RB). Ask him to link up and combine (which he would have to do if playing for us and City), and he's not even average. #White Lukaku#

Haaland's obviously a very good and physically gifted young striker. Way overhyped though.

Talk Tuchel is ready to ask Abramovich to use Werner as a makeweight for him.

2 hours ago, niallers said:

It says a lot but how far Irish players have fallen that the goal scorer was the only player on the pitch to play champions league football in either squad. That's an outrageous stat. And Portugal were denied a 93rd minute winner and the lines man didn't give it. Well over the line it was. No var which is ridiculous at this level

VAR. Can't live with it, can't live without it!

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It wasn't Var that was the problem it was the lack of goal line technology. 

It wasn't even the worst bit of officiating yesterday. During an under-21s match between Italy and Spain, the ref managed to send off 2 Italians and one Spaniard. The first Italian was sent off after getting a second yellow for something that wasn't even a foul (just massive shithouse playacting by his opposite number). Then two players squared up, both fake-headbutting and then going down as though they'd been nutted. The ref was clearly the sort of cunt that gets easily duped by playacting.

16 hours ago, lebron said:

We'll see.

Good post, and some very interesting points. Haaland is an absolute monster when he’s got space to run into, and is fed by his team mates. His finishing, with his feet, is also second to none. On the counter there is no better player in the world imo.

His close control however is fairly average, as is his dribbling and combination play in tight spaces. And he’s quite poor in the air.

One of the best attackers in the world clearly. But it remains to be seen how he’ll fit in if or when he ends up at a club which normally have 70% possession and where the opponents in most games are happy to sit back and defend.

Luke Shaw has assisted a goal in each of his last three starts for England -

one in 2015 v Switzerland,

2018 v Spain and

2021 v Albania.

BBC report it's making himself undroppable for club and country.

I look forward to his next start and assist in 2024.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Football without fans is shite but international football is actually improved. Its now turgid shite.

I didn't know England were 'playing football' today. Turns out they're probably not. 

My fucking luck, had £3 chucked on a 14 team acca going well overall but Spain struggling against Georgia in the 87th minute and managed to get £2.50 cash out.  

15,000 Georgian fans in the ground, seemed it was destined to get it over the line.

93rd fucking minute, Dani Olmo gifted a soft 20 yarder off the post. 

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Lukaku's link up play has gone up several levels since playing for Inter. He's top class now.

Maybe, but the slow Italian league, and the lack of any physical competition (the defenders are literally half his sice) makes it easier for him than it was here. 

With regards Haaland, he'll probably continue to score lots of goals with his left foot, but his finishing with his right is non-existant. This may sound like sour grapes as well, but I think he's on a bit of a hot streak with his left too. Think Torres the first 1.5 years with us, everything he struck went in.

If we had any chance (imo we don't because of our wage structure) of signing him or Mbappe it would be a quick vote for me...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lebron said:

Maybe, but the slow Italian league, and the lack of any physical competition (the defenders are literally half his sice) makes it easier for him than it was here. 

With regards Haaland, he'll probably continue to score lots of goals with his left foot, but his finishing with his right is non-existant. This may sound like sour grapes as well, but I think he's on a bit of a hot streak with his left too. Think Torres the first 1.5 years with us, everything he struck went in.

If we had any chance (imo we don't because of our wage structure) of signing him or Mbappe it would be a quick vote for me...

Agree with this. When Lukaku played in the prem for the shite and united, in the main he only scored against the shite teams. He wasnt known as a flat track bully for nothing. Serie A suits him to the ground with even more lesser teams to score against.

Im still not convinced by Haaland, he strikes me as a bit of a battering ram. That might be unfair on the lad and it is useful in some games. But where a bit more finess is required, he never seems to be one to me who'll 'caress' the ball into the net. Might well be proven wrong in the future though!

• Upvote 1

Also, the intensity he brings to the most important matches (CL and against Bayern) isn't replicated in many of the league (or international) games. 

Btw, as a Norwegian I want him to be as good as everyone else seem to think he is!