You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

19 hours ago, Funkasy said:

The smaller nations have no chance to field a whole team of good players that can compete at the same level as the bigger ones, calling them cowards is really strange, its like calling me a coward for not going in the ring against mike tyson and not being able to beat him at his own game.

im talking about the really small nations.

It's 11 v 11, they have every chance.  It's often 12 v 11 as the ref sides with them. 

It's kicking a ball into a net. It's stringing a couple of passes together.  

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

It was funny because these pricks have picked on people who worked in pubs or restaurants, smashed up businesses and wrecked town centres following England. Good to see them getting a hiding off grock Russians who fight each other in the woods instead of just calling people "cants" for 20 minutes in a pub and throw a stool through a window. 

That film The Rise of the footsoldier had one of those top boys from the West Ham firm in it and still does after dinner speaking now. Basically telling the same tales and how he was lucky not to get his head blown off in a Range Rover in Dagenham like his mates. 

I was working down in London years ago and remember being on the tube when England were playing Ireland. A load of them giving abuse to these older Irish fans minding their business. Then about 20 Irish navvie type lads got on. All proper hard lads but there again not looking for trouble. Just chanting for Ireland but good natured. There wasn't a peep out of England's finest though. The people around me all just started laughing because they literally turned into mice.

I saw them first hand in Slovakia a few years ago when the wife booked a trip there without knowing they were playing. I felt embarrassed speaking the same language in case the Slovaks thought I was with them.

Hearing there's a nation in Africa (a small island near Madagascar) that has only had a football team since 2013, with the first professional player in Britain representing Millwall. After winning their first match in 2016 they have qualified for the AFCON from the same group as Egypt. 

Fair play. 

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Hearing there's a nation in Africa (a small island near Madagascar) that has only had a football team since 2013, with the first professional player in Britain representing Millwall. After winning their first match in 2016 they have qualified for the AFCON from the same group as Egypt. 

Fair play. 

Is that Comoros? Due to play Egypt on Monday I believe.

It is very amusing hearing them talk up the very things they have mocked us about for years, and used as some sort of moral high ground/badge of honour that they are not the same....

Their parochial attitude, mocking of tourists, OOT's etc and now suddenly they are talking about exactly that kind of stuff....thing is nobody is going to want to know because they are shite and a shiny new stadium won't change that even if it does get built.

36 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Is that Comoros? Due to play Egypt on Monday I believe.

Yes I believe they have played each other once (draw) and have already qualified. Not sure if they can win the group by beating Egypt.

Comoros have qualified for the Total Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) for the first time in their history after picking up a point in a 0-0 draw with Togo at home on Thursday.

The final whistle drew wild celebrations in the stadium, players and coaches hugging, jumping and dancing as the reality of playing at Africa's biggest competition dawned on them.

The result in Moroni sees Comoros move to nine points ahead of their final match against Egypt and this means the worst they can finish is second spot.

The islanders’ four points each against both Kenya and Togo coupled with the point at home against Egypt have seen them clinch a ticket to Cameroon. Togo on the other hand have seen their qualification hopes dashed as they are bottom with just two points.

Egypt might seal the remaining qualification slot if they pick a point or three points or a win against Kenya in the other group match in Nairobi.

The small island nation carried the dreams of an entire country and their first priority was ensuring they guarded their rear well and the first half didn’t have many scoring opportunities.

Comoros v Togo 2

In the second period, Togo started stronger and they had two back to back chances, both falling on striker Ihlas Bebou.

First, in the 51st minute, the striker couldn’t connect to a Abou-Samiou Tchoutchoui cross from the right, his point blank connection being blocked a few yards off goal.

Three minutes later, he was picked out with a brilliant cross from Richard Nane on the left, but the striker glanced his free header wide off target.

The two sides made changes, Togo going for an attacking swa[ with Ismail Ouro-Agoro coming in for Yayra Josue Doke while Comoros brought in steel into their midfield, Fouad Bachirou coming in for Ahmed Mogni.

Comoros v Togo

The home side was efficient in defending their rear and while Togo declined in their attack, the islanders sought to keep possession and knock the ball around the park.

Late on, they had a chance when substitute Youssouf Ibrohim raced on to a cross from the right, but the Togolese keeper spread his body nicely on the ground to block his connection.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yes I believe they have played each other once (draw) and have already qualified. Not sure if they can win the group by beating Egypt.

Just checked. Level on 9 points but Egypt just need the draw to win the group as they have a better goal difference.

Republic of Ireland, who've only scored 2 goals in the last 24 years, and they were scored in a 3-2 defeat midweek, playing Luxembourg, and with 83 minutes gone, it's still 0-0.

Just as well I've nothing invested in international football, or I'd be wondering what I'd done to upset the goal gods recently.

It says a lot but how far Irish players have fallen that the goal scorer was the only player on the pitch to play champions league football in either squad. That's an outrageous stat. And Portugal were denied a 93rd minute winner and the lines man didn't give it. Well over the line it was. No var which is ridiculous at this level

11 minutes ago, niallers said:

It says a lot but how far Irish players have fallen that the goal scorer was the only player on the pitch to play champions league football in either squad. That's an outrageous stat. And Portugal were denied a 93rd minute winner and the lines man didn't give it. Well over the line it was. No var which is ridiculous at this level

An excellent winner. Fully deserved.