You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

Teams like Greece tonight, or any complete underdog who scrapes a draw by pure effort...I have no respect whatsoever for them and they destroy a bit of the art of football whenever they do it.  

It takes no skill to do what they do.  You could put together 11 amateur endurance runners and get them to do the same job.  And to top it all off, not only do they not play football, they actively waste time to further ruin any chance of you actually enjoying a match. 

Oh, and they get protected by the refs for doing it. 

Explain that shit to me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Teams like Greece tonight, or any complete underdog who scrapes a draw by pure effort...I have no respect whatsoever for them and they destroy a bit of the art of football whenever they do it.  

It takes no skill to do what they do.  You could put together 11 amateur endurance runners and get them to do the same job.  And to top it all off, not only do they not play football, they actively waste time to further ruin any chance of you actually enjoying a match. 

Oh, and they get protected by the refs for doing it. 

Explain that shit to me. 

They won the euros less than 20 years ago ..... 

The smaller nations have no chance to field a whole team of good players that can compete at the same level as the bigger ones, calling them cowards is really strange, its like calling me a coward for not going in the ring against mike tyson and not being able to beat him at his own game.

im talking about the really small nations.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Funkasy said:

The smaller nations have no chance to field a whole team of good players that can compete at the same level as the bigger ones, calling them cowards is really strange, its like calling me a coward for not going in the ring against mike tyson and not being able to beat him at his own game.

im talking about the really small nations.

That's cos you're a shithouse, I'd batter Tyson, Tyson Fury all of them with the quick one two the old shimmy roo.

I've said it before, but putting all these minnow nations in the same qualifying groups as the bigger nations isn't doing either of them any good. Teams like San Marino get battered in every single game and very rarely score themselves, and England/France/Germany etc learn nothing. Fans and sponsors aren't very interested so there isn't a lot of money to be made by those for whom that is important.

My suggestion would be to put all the weaker nations in a pre-qualifying group that takes place at the same time as the major summer tournament is taking place. The top side can even be given a trophy. The games are more meaningful, these teams have a chance of actually winning games. They can try to play on the front foot at least a little bit. They get to experience some proper competition, not just be whipping boys. The top 2, say, are then able to join the bigger nations in the qualifiers for the next major competition. There will be fewer qualifying games for everybody, far fewer mismatches and a lot less stat-padding.

If need be, UEFA can fund it to ensure these teams don't have a financial shortfall. The amount we're talking about is pretty miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Every other international federation already has a system like this, except for UEFA and CONMEBOL. For the latter, it isn't necessary as there are only 10 member countries, but for UEFA the existing system is extremely bloated, and only made worse by the fact they are shoehorning their Nations League into an already packed schedule too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I've said it before, but putting all these minnow nations in the same qualifying groups as the bigger nations isn't doing either of them any good. Teams like San Marino get battered in every single game and very rarely score themselves, and England/France/Germany etc learn nothing. Fans and sponsors aren't very interested so there isn't a lot of money to be made by those for whom that is important.

My suggestion would be to put all the weaker nations in a pre-qualifying group that takes place at the same time as the major summer tournament is taking place. The top side can even be given a trophy. The games are more meaningful, these teams have a chance of actually winning games. They can try to play on the front foot at least a little bit. They get to experience some proper competition, not just be whipping boys. The top 2, say, are then able to join the bigger nations in the qualifiers for the next major competition. There will be fewer qualifying games for everybody, far fewer mismatches and a lot less stat-padding.

If need be, UEFA can fund it to ensure these teams don't have a financial shortfall. The amount we're talking about is pretty miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Every other international federation already has a system like this, except for UEFA and CONMEBOL. For the latter, it isn't necessary as there are only 10 member countries, but for UEFA the existing system is extremely bloated, and only made worse by the fact they are shoehorning their Nations League into an already packed schedule too.

The Nations League is basically what you've just proposed.

And it's shit, too. 

12 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

By doing the same thing basically.  They just sedated teams and piled in on them, I hate it.  It's cowardly. Compounded by play acting and time wasting.  

Its Burnley, it's Stoke, it's a waste of everyone's time. 

Atletico Madrid called - they want you to know they are going to win the Liga.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Just abolish it full stop, Id say.

Possibly but I still think a national team of blokes from the Nags head, dog & duck and Queens arms taking on a similar team from back of beyond Europe/South America would be hilarious to watch and you wouldn't be constantly worry about our lads getting fucked on international duty. 
It'd be as if Mike Bassett was real. 

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

Possibly but I still think a national team of blokes from the Nags head, dog & duck and Queens arms taking on a similar team from back of beyond Europe/South America would be hilarious to watch and you wouldn't be constantly worry about our lads getting fucked on international duty. 

Yes, I can see what you're getting at. But I think the tv companies would just go on about viewers wanting to watch better quality players so would push for top professionals to be used again.

I think there were a couple of amateur internationals televised in the 70s at Wembley.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Looking forward to crowds being let back in for the euros so all the flag shagging brexit types get chased by Russians with go pro cameras and get patio furniture launched at them. That was my highlight of the last Euros. 

Haha yeah me too! I don't like violence normally but those idiots spent 40 years kicking off at innocent Europeans going about their business on their "hostile" away trips, so it is funny when they come across proper hard cases who run them all over the shop given that these so called hardmen end up writing their hoolie books.

On holiday a few years ago, got to know this sound West Ham lad, who gave me one of those hoolie books when he was heading home. I'd never read one before and it was up there as one of the funniest books I've read. This gobshite who wrote it was telling tales of 20 or 30 West Ham fans having it off with us in the Kop or the Mancs at the Stretford End, tall tales of running Leeds and Boro etc at their place. Then more tall tales of wonderful exploits following England. These gobshites make serious money talking shite.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Just come out to my Sunday league - we have all that.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Haha yeah me too! I don't like violence normally but those idiots spent 40 years kicking off at innocent Europeans going about their business on their "hostile" away trips, so it is funny when they come across proper hard cases who run them all over the shop given that these so called hardmen end up writing their hoolie books.

On holiday a few years ago, got to know this sound West Ham lad, who gave me one of those hoolie books when he was heading home. I'd never read one before and it was up there as one of the funniest books I've read. This gobshite who wrote it was telling tales of 20 or 30 West Ham fans having it off with us in the Kop or the Mancs at the Stretford End, tall tales of running Leeds and Boro etc at their place. Then more tall tales of wonderful exploits following England. These gobshites make serious money talking shite.

It was funny because these pricks have picked on people who worked in pubs or restaurants, smashed up businesses and wrecked town centres following England. Good to see them getting a hiding off grock Russians who fight each other in the woods instead of just calling people "cants" for 20 minutes in a pub and throw a stool through a window. 

That film The Rise of the footsoldier had one of those top boys from the West Ham firm in it and still does after dinner speaking now. Basically telling the same tales and how he was lucky not to get his head blown off in a Range Rover in Dagenham like his mates.