You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

We need to start winning some games and soon....very soon, like Saturday.

We'll probably need to win at the toilet this season as well, something we never seem to do..that would be massive.

Hard to see us doing anything at present, but it feels (as shit as it is anyway) that finishing in top 4 is crucial to us - can see some hard days ahead if we don't, players being sold and no money being spent.

We should if we miss out just act like we are a club on a one off one season absence from the top table - the worry is we won't and we'll slip back to what we were when Klopp came as a result.

Right now, any game is hard for us. As bad as the last 15 minutes against Leicester were, for 75 minutes we were the better team. Confidence is low, but world class players will pull through. It feels like I'm saying that every week, but so much going on at the club. I have so much faith in Jurgen and those lads.

I don't see any continental club buying our main players this summer bar PSG. They are all skint. Gini may go to Barca to be fair, but nothing confirmed there. Bayern probably have money but they don't tend to buy the finished product like a Mane or a Salah. FSG will want top dollar and it isn't like Barca or Real back in the day.

We'll start next season with the best manager in the world and a team of world class players regardless of whether we get top four. I don't know what kind of transfer budget we will have but the main thing will be getting a decent bench and decent squad.

I'd like to see the age profile come down. As others have said, that Neto looks terrific. Botman looks a beast and that lad Bissouma very promising. That would go some way towards giving us the kind of bench/squad we currently lack. 

I can't stand FSG but they are shrewd. If we miss out on top four, I think it will rock them big time because they probably thought we would romp to another title and thought if not, top 4 was a walk in the park this season. They got complacent though in their defence I don't think anyone could imagine our bad luck with injury. They hate spending money but good business people know when to invest and they are very good business people. If they don't invest this summer, there will be hell to pay and rightly so.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Right now, any game is hard for us. As bad as the last 15 minutes against Leicester were, for 75 minutes we were the better team. Confidence is low, but world class players will pull through. It feels like I'm saying that every week, but so much going on at the club. I have so much faith in Jurgen and those lads.

I don't see any continental club buying our main players this summer bar PSG. They are all skint. Gini may go to Barca to be fair, but nothing confirmed there. Bayern probably have money but they don't tend to buy the finished product like a Mane or a Salah. FSG will want top dollar and it isn't like Barca or Real back in the day.

We'll start next season with the best manager in the world and a team of world class players regardless of whether we get top four. I don't know what kind of transfer budget we will have but the main thing will be getting a decent bench and decent squad.

I'd like to see the age profile come down. As others have said, that Neto looks terrific. Botman looks a beast and that lad Bissouma very promising. That would go some way towards giving us the kind of bench/squad we currently lack. 

I can't stand FSG but they are shrewd. If we miss out on top four, I think it will rock them big time because they probably thought we would romp to another title and thought if not, top 4 was a walk in the park this season. They got complacent though in their defence I don't think anyone could imagine our bad luck with injury. They hate spending money but good business people know when to invest and they are very good business people. If they don't invest this summer, there will be hell to pay and rightly so.

Age profile deffo needs to come down.

We are in danger of allowing too many key players to grow old all at same time over next couple of years and the squad is hardly bursting at the seams with younger players of real quality snapping at their heels.

I largely agree about our best players not being bought by too many clubs, but i wouldn't put it past us ending up with a Suarez/Coutinho type problem with Mane or Salah and then FSG seeing a big fee as replacing the european cup money if we miss out on top 4....would like to think it wouldn't happen like that, but i wouldn't rule it out.

Its a big period coming up for us, we either get through this period and regroup and go again properly next season and this one is just a blip, or this is the start of the slide back.....as a club it is very much in our own hands which road we travel.

25 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with most of that Ronnie. Personally, I dont see an urgent need for the average age of the teams \ squad to come down. 27 - 29 are peak years for out field players.

Lots of people seem to think buying a number of new players will mean less injuries because we've got rid of those who do always seem injured. But I think that's an unsound principle.

Many players coming to the PL struggle with it's pace, our training so pick up little niggles. Matip and keita are examples of players who didnt have multiple and repeat injuries in the Bundesliga but have here.

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

Age profile deffo needs to come down.

We are in danger of allowing too many key players to grow old all at same time over next couple of years and the squad is hardly bursting at the seams with younger players of real quality snapping at their heels.

I largely agree about our best players not being bought by too many clubs, but i wouldn't put it past us ending up with a Suarez/Coutinho type problem with Mane or Salah and then FSG seeing a big fee as replacing the european cup money if we miss out on top 4....would like to think it wouldn't happen like that, but i wouldn't rule it out.

Its a big period coming up for us, we either get through this period and regroup and go again properly next season and this one is just a blip, or this is the start of the slide back.....as a club it is very much in our own hands which road we travel.

FSG are capable of selling Mo or Sadio especially if those lads want out. Of course they are. Having said that unless they get top dollar, they certainly won't. I do think selling say Mo and funding 2-3 top players could appeal. They want us top 4 every year. It's their gravy train so they won't be making any rash decisions.

I really don't like them but they make a lot more good than bad decisions and with Jurgen and Edwards, I'd generally back us to come out okay from a bad situation.

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree with most of that Ronnie. Personally, I dont see an urgent need for the average age of the teams \ squad to come down. 27 - 29 are peak years for out field players.

Lots of people seem to think buying a number of new players will mean less injuries because we've got rid of those who do always seem injured. But I think that's an unsound principle.

Many players coming to the PL struggle with it's pace, our training so pick up little niggles. Matip and keita are examples of players who didnt have multiple and repeat injuries in the Bundesliga but have here.

Agree Docker.

I like the look of that Botman lad and you can't get away from the talent and value on the continent, but a lot to be said for fellas who know the league and the intensity. 

I would love Grealish or Maddison. Both seem like lads who could make the step  up. Grealish seems like a total knobhead but some player. Not sure Jurgen would like him as a man. Maddison seems fairly sound. Having said that, not a hope we sign them unless there is a major outgoing. I really like that Neto lad. Ward Prowse is another I really like. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

By time next season starts:

VVD 30

Henderson 31

Firmino 30

Mane 29

Salah 29

Wijnaldum (if he stays) 30

Thiago 30

Matip 30 (May as well be 60)

That is a lot of key players approaching/past 30.

Players definitely generally play at a high level for longer now, but there is definitely a need to look at that over next couple of seasons.

12 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

No game is easy right now for us, but we have played Spurs, West Ham, Leicester and City twice. Think we have a much easier run in than those around us.

United are dropping a lot of points. I think Leicester might come second. Chelsea have a far better manager now Frank has gone but they aren't anything special.

Wouldn't be shocked if it came down to us or the Mancs for fourth but I don't rate Chelsea so probably two from those three.

You have to factor in Leicester's arses going completely last season under pressure.

11 hours ago, an tha said:

By time next season starts:

VVD 30

Henderson 31

Firmino 30

Mane 29

Salah 29

Wijnaldum (if he stays) 30

Thiago 30

Matip 30 (May as well be 60)

That is a lot of key players approaching/past 30.

Players definitely generally play at a high level for longer now, but there is definitely a need to look at that over next couple of seasons.

I just think people need to be careful with absolutes like a player's age. Players should be moved on when the manager thinks he's had the best out of them irrespective of their age.

Younger players need the experienced older players around them. Lowering the collective age of the team or squad doesnt improve the chances of trophies, it's the player's quality that counts.

Out of that list, I dont see van Dijk, Mo, Hendo, Sadio and Thiago being moved on at the end of the season.

Gini's gone as far as I can see. Bobby and Matip might join him for different reasons, possibly even Sadio. But that's getting close to ripping the core out of your team.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I just think people need to be careful with absolutes like a player's age. Players should be moved on when the manager thinks he's had the best out of them irrespective of their age.

Younger players need the experienced older players around them. Lowering the collective age of the team or squad doesnt improve the chances of trophies, it's the player's quality that counts.

Out of that list, I dont see van Dijk, Mo, Hendo, Sadio and Thiago being moved on at the end of the season.

Gini's gone as far as I can see. Bobby and Matip might join him for different reasons, possibly even Sadio. But that's getting close to ripping the core out of your team.

I agree it should not be arbitrary like age.

Squads deffo need that blend of experience and younger players, and the experienced players do help the younger ones learn and develop.

But when you operate the what you call 'self sustainable' model then you can't let all your best players go over the hill at the same time.

Squads need to be built in a planned manner and refreshed with younger players ready to break through, but reality says a club like us probably has to sell an ageing big name whilst still able to get biggish money to be able to invest in squad.

We are hardly packed with loads of really good 23/24 year olds chomping at the bit to step into VVD, Hendo, Firmino et als shoes.

Look at our 3 senior centre halves....the number 3 of them is an injury prone about to turn 30 year old.

Milner and Shaq are our go to back up midfielders in the main - Milner is 35, Shaq will be 30 at start of next season.

OK we have Jones, who is younger but who else...who is there in that sweet spot of 24-27? Keita probably only one, and we all know score with him.

Feels to me that this squad was built to peak around now, and for me over next year or so it needs quite a lot of work, which obviously has to be spread across 4 windows.

Better. Much better.

Always feel we will have more joy v a team who try and attack us - but still overall better.

We were sloppy after going 2 up though, gave it away too much and i just expected the bastard net to bulge at the death when that Huang did Hendo - 2nd time in game he was badly exposed.

Alisson's kicking was dreadful all night - but apart from those gripes it was much, much better.

A much needed result, a bit of confidence back hopefully and something to build on.

And of course in a very good position to make quarters now.

10 hours ago, Trumo said:

Barcelona have had some real hidings in Europe in recent years. Watching the highlights of that game, PSG could have run in 8 goals like Bayern did.

8-2, 4-0, 4-1, 3-0 has been the 2nd leg score in each of the last 4 seasons. Will be another hiding in Paris for them. Barca just love getting bummed in the knockout stage.

8 hours ago, Baltar said:

8-2, 4-0, 4-1, 3-0 has been the 2nd leg score in each of the last 4 seasons. Will be another hiding in Paris for them. Barca just love getting bummed in the knockout stage.

I hate Barca. All this more than a club nonsense.

Real are cunts but don't pretend to be anything else. Barca like to make out they are lovely and wholesome while they used to destabilise players.