You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

I was listening to BT Sport tonight complaining about the VAR system not being able to freeze precisely the moment the ball is kicked with offside decisions. Didn't hear them make that point for Saturday's fiasco, but hopefully it might start a conversation about the technology and whether it is good enough to make these tight decisions.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah I don't think West Ham will be right up there by the end of the season, but we are in a scrap with United, Leicester and Chelsea for the 2nd to 4th spots. 

I wouldn't totally rule out us finishing below Tottenham and/or Arsenal either.

Arsenal are as close to us as we are to Leicester and Man Utd.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I wouldn't totally rule out us finishing below Tottenham and/or Arsenal either.

Arsenal are as close to us as we are to Leicester and Man Utd.

I think both of them will look at winning the Europa as the best route in to next years Champions League, particularly Mourinho. Of the top 5 favourites, 4 of them are English teams. I think United and Leicester won't take it that seriously unless they get to the semi final stage which will help Arsenal and Spurs. 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think both of them will look at winning the Europa as the best route in to next years Champions League, particularly Mourinho. Of the top 5 favourites, 4 of them are English teams. I think United and Leicester won't take it that seriously unless they get to the semi final stage which will help Arsenal and Spurs. 

Does that then limit places from league to 3 if a team who finish outside top 4 win uefa cup?

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Does that then limit places from league to 3 if a team who finish outside top 4 win uefa cup?

No. Nations are allowed up to 5 teams in the competition.

If Chelsea were to finish 5th and win the Champions League and then Arsenal or Spurs won the Europa then only the top 3 league places would get in, but I think that's an unlikely scenario. 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

No. Nations are allowed up to 5 teams in the competition.

If Chelsea were to finish 5th and win the Champions League and then Arsenal or Spurs won the Europa then only the top 3 league places would get in, but I think that's an unlikely scenario. 

Nice one

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Self flagellation over west ham is pointless when chelsea are a far bigger issue now fat fwank has been replaced.

Oh, Chelsea are essentially guaranteed to finish second this season. There’s next to no doubt when you look at their remaining fixtures. Looking further ahead, as things stand, a manager who is merely competent is all that’s required to have them as City’s default challenger for the next few seasons given the squad they have and money they’ll continue to spend. The question is whether Abramovich will tolerate a run of poor form or end up getting trigger happy if they’re ten points off the top next season; their trademark lack of stability is probably the biggest threat to their chances.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Pts required to finish 4th last 5 seasons.

15/16: 66

16/17: 76

17/18: 75

18/19: 71

19/20: 66

Think it will be much closer to 66 than 76 this season.

As it stands we are on track to get 63.

No game is easy right now for us, but we have played Spurs, West Ham, Leicester and City twice. Think we have a much easier run in than those around us.

United are dropping a lot of points. I think Leicester might come second. Chelsea have a far better manager now Frank has gone but they aren't anything special.

Wouldn't be shocked if it came down to us or the Mancs for fourth but I don't rate Chelsea so probably two from those three.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

No game is easy right now for us, but we have played Spurs, West Ham, Leicester and City twice. Think we have a much easier run in than those around us.

United are dropping a lot of points. I think Leicester might come second. Chelsea have a far better manager now Frank has gone but they aren't anything special.

Wouldn't be shocked if it came down to us or the Mancs for fourth but I don't rate Chelsea so probably two from those three.

We need to start winning some games and soon....very soon, like Saturday.

We'll probably need to win at the toilet this season as well, something we never seem to do..that would be massive.

Hard to see us doing anything at present, but it feels (as shit as it is anyway) that finishing in top 4 is crucial to us - can see some hard days ahead if we don't, players being sold and no money being spent.

We should if we miss out just act like we are a club on a one off one season absence from the top table - the worry is we won't and we'll slip back to what we were when Klopp came as a result.

The "easier run in" thing might be relevant to other teams but we've been at our most spectacularly shit this season against the sides at the bottom of the league. There isn't a single fixture home or away that I'd be confident of us winning. 

Apart from home to Everton. 

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The "easier run in" thing might be relevant to other teams but we've been at our most spectacularly shit this season against the sides at the bottom of the league. There isn't a single fixture home or away that I'd be confident of us winning. 

Apart from home to Everton. 

What the fuck have you just done there.