You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

Apologies if already posted. Barely paying attention to the Chelsea v Spurs last night and the commentator says this after a challenge from Thiago Silva ‘ 17 going on 36 ‘ blah blah blah playing like a youngster etc etc, sycophant cunt.

Ten seconds later and Thiago is down clutching his leg for his efforts, same commentator ‘ that could be the end of a career will we ever see him play again ‘.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Just had a quick look and Chief BBC sports reporter for Scotland Tom also has another three jobs yet questions the pay of a 17 year old kid. Nice. 

Edit.. Seems you get a kinder press if you go the other way. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14275574.how-a-scot-stevie-grieve-is-changing-the-perception-of-football-punditry-on-indian-tv/

Wouldn't happen in the EU.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I don't see why an analyst needs to live anywhere near the place the data is produced these days , good on the lad. Can't believe Tom English brechin his baws.

The funny thing is Holland is no doubt on a bumper bbc contract to be chief sports writer yet the 17 year old Indian kid probably knows more about Scottish football than him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55937008

So, the FA, or whoever the fuck are in charge, have overturned the Bednarek red card. This is despite a decision made on the night by three referees (ref, 4th official, VAR ref) with the aid of all the technology available to them, plus a linesperson. What does this say about the people in charge on the night? (Actually, nothing that we didn't know already). 

And the authorities and media behave as if there isn't a fundamental problem. Beyond farce.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Ajax's goalkeeper Andre Onana has been banned for a year for a doping offence. One of the better goalkeepers around Europe and arguably Africa's best.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55949730

Aye, mistook his wife's medication for an aspirin which is unlucky. 

In other Ajax news, someone at the club forgot to register their new record signing from West Ham, Sebastien Haller, with UEFA so he is now ineligible for Europe. 

Not sure what's happening with Quincy Promes after stabbing his nephew. 

Despite all this they are still 7 points clear in the Eredivisie. 

13 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I cant see Jurgen letting our Brasilian players and Jota go on international duty in March unless the FIFA exemption is lifted.

Could cause annoyance with the players Docker. Think I heard Brazil are playing Argentina and the boys won't want to miss it. Not sure who Portugal are playing. They are probably very patriotic and that's something a lot on here especially myself don't get, but for these lads their country means so much to them.

Just thinking if we are out of everything which is possible but likely to get top 4, it might make longer term sense to let the lads go. They are three great lads and a big part of the team spirit. Jota is a lovely player, but I don't see him as a pivotal part of the squad morale yet.

This season is fucked, but next season I expect the lads fully going for it and team spirit is a big part of who we are. The three Brazilian lads are a gigantic part of that - even if Bobby may begin to get phased out.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Could cause annoyance with the players Docker. Think I heard Brazil are playing Argentina and the boys won't want to miss it. Not sure who Portugal are playing. They are probably very patriotic and that's something a lot on here especially myself don't get, but for these lads their country means so much to them.

Just thinking if we are out of everything which is possible but likely to get top 4, it might make longer term sense to let the lads go. They are three great lads and a big part of the team spirit. Jota is a lovely player, but I don't see him as a pivotal part of the squad morale yet.

This season is fucked, but next season I expect the lads fully going for it and team spirit is a big part of who we are. The three Brazilian lads are a gigantic part of that - even if Bobby may begin to get phased out.

The season isn’t fucked. If we beat City there’s still hope, city have very tough remaining list of fixtures.

Plus the CL is there for the taking, who’s better than us in Europe? Plus we have available Centre halfs now, who will be boss

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

The season isn’t fucked. If we beat City there’s still hope, city have very tough remaining list of fixtures.

Plus the CL is there for the taking, who’s better than us in Europe? Plus we have available Centre halfs now, who will be boss

I admire your optimism but have you seen us play lately? The teams ravaged with injuries and we can't beat the worst teams in our own league.

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

I admire your optimism but have you seen us play lately? The teams ravaged with injuries and we can't beat the worst teams in our own league.

We were great in the 2 away games. Now we have a defence we get our midfield back too. Just need mane back and Jota back.

13 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I agree with you in many ways but our inability against poor sides right now will cost us. I actually could see us beating City, Everton and Leicester but undo the good work against West Brom and Sheffield United. Jota could make a difference in those games.

We pretty much have to win all of our games. I think we could maybe get to 80 points at a push but I don't see us getting the 85+ we will probably need. Who knows though...7 points is nothing and 2-3 bad results for City could open it all up again once we do what we need to do.

The Champions League could be interesting if we beat Leipzig. I think they might do it like a cup competition from the quarter finals so we have a decent chance. Certainly we will be better against teams that try to play football.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I agree with you in many ways but our inability against poor sides right now will cost us. I actually could see us beating City, Everton and Leicester but undo the good work against West Brom and Sheffield United. Jota could make a difference in those games.

We pretty much have to win all of our games. I think we could maybe get to 80 points at a push but I don't see us getting the 85+ we will probably need. Who knows though...7 points is nothing and 2-3 bad results for City could open it all up again once we do what we need to do.

The Champions League could be interesting if we beat Leipzig. I think they might do it like a cup competition from the quarter finals so we have a decent chance. Certainly we will be better against teams that try to play football.

Agree with you Ronnie, it's going to be a big ask from here. But as much as an optimist that I am, I knew we'd have a massive task retaining the title even in a 'normal' season.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree with you Ronnie, it's going to be a big ask from here. But as much as an optimist that I am, I knew we'd have a massive task retaining the title even in a 'normal' season.

I think in a normal season with a crowd at Anfield and without the injuries we would have walked it personally 

edit- and with a full break and pre season behind us