You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

6 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

We don't need to go down the we are being cheated route. It looks weak. We have had more than enough chances in pretty much every game.

Agree with that. 

We were robbed at Everton and Brighton and some very dubious decisions in other games but we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.

United get a lot of decisions but credit to the horrible bastards, as well as City and the rest of the teams up there, they are hungry to win. You look at Cavani and the whole lot of them chasing every decision and harassing the referee. Only Robbo does that for us. Maybe Hendo and Mille as well to be fair. We're a team of really nice lads.

Right now it just feels like we're a bit sorry for oursevles. Not doubting the lads aren't desperate to win, but it feels like we're wallowing in our bad luck. 

The next 6 or 7 games will decide if we win the league because if we come out with a very good points total we win it imo especially if we beat City. If not we are chasing top 4.

Yes let’s all ignore what’s happening before our very eyes. No doubt about it we’re in a rut, couldn’t score in a brothel but don’t kid yourselves that this continuous battle we have with this death by a thousand cut style of refereeing isn’t compounding the issue. Yes we’ve been shite but the refs have been nothing but a handicap in most of this seasons games.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Yes let’s all ignore what’s happening before our very eyes. No doubt about it we’re in a rut, couldn’t score in a brothel but don’t kid yourselves that this continuous battle we have with this death by a thousand cut style of refereeing isn’t compounding the issue. Yes we’ve been shite but the refs have been nothing but a handicap in most of this seasons games.

Not disagreeing but what's done is done. We can't change it but if we get our heads together we can win the title.

4 points off City is nothing with a half season left. Both them and United could have dropped points tonight and being honest while they, Spurs and Leicester deserve respect, none of them are outstanding teams. Teams with great individuals yes. Teams hungry to win yes. Not great teams like City of two years ago. 

In 86, we hunted down a really good Everton team. I have a memory of us having a shitty Christmas that year and going to Spurs and winning 2-1 and then going on a long and brilliant run. We can do this if everyone gets their shit together most notably the front three and Trent. We won't do it if we keep talking about decisions that went against us, decisions and luck that others got and all the injuries we have. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

If the players are taking it as badly as me then I can understand the frustration. Watching MotD here and I've seen 3 penalties not given that we're worse than Robertson's. Fred looked like he was kicked, Fernandes had a lock around Mitrovic's arm for his header and it was even mentioned and lastly Soucek was was kicked harder than Welbeck was. I don't think any of them were penalties but I compare everything to Brighton now and it pisses me off.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Not disagreeing but what's done is done. We can't change it but if we get our heads together we can win the title.

4 points off City is nothing with a half season left. Both them and United could have dropped points tonight and being honest while they, Spurs and Leicester deserve respect, none of them are outstanding teams. Teams with great individuals yes. Teams hungry to win yes. Not great teams like City of two years ago. 

In 86, we hunted down a really good Everton team. I have a memory of us having a shitty Christmas that year and going to Spurs and winning 2-1 and then going on a long and brilliant run. We can do this if everyone gets their shit together most notably the front three and Trent. We won't do it if we keep talking about decisions that went against us, decisions and luck that others got and all the injuries we have. 

All good points Ronnie. But I fear you're discounting the shitfest unfolding before our eyes as regards officiating of games.

Even if we were in last season's form this season, we wouldnt be running away with this league and Im not sure we'd hunt down any team either.

The officials aided and abetted by VAR, Mike fucking Riley's PGMOL, the PL and to a lesser extent FIFA \ IFAB, have completely fucked up the game I love. How can anyone in their right mind say that first goal against Villa is legit? Not suggesting for one minute you are by the way!

The game is supposed to be equitable for both sides, it should be 'fair.' Some will say life's not fair or fair is a word kids use. No, it's not. The rules of the game demand fairness for both sides. It's a basic tennant of the game and why teams are 11 a side, change ends at half time and why the ref is supposed to have no affiliation with either team etc.

That goal tonight is just criminal. An offside player has gained an unfair advantage by being yards offside allowed to run nearly 10 yards to the defender with the ball, blind side him, nick the ball off his toes and play a pass to a teammate leading to a goal.

Anyone in PGMOL, the PL or tv pundit saying that's legit is just talking shite. The defender playing an 'offside' player onside was never intended for that scenario, even more so now lino's are told to keep their flag down.

Offside was introduced to prevent that very situation of an attacker standing between the goal and last defender. With their absurd decision tonight, the officials have just overturned 100+ years of football history,

And that's why I think we'd struggle to retain the title even if we were as good as last season. Brighton last minute pen against us for that joke contact? Oliver saying Pickford should have been sent offbut they 'forgot' in the fog of the offside? One of Sadio pubes sticking out of his shorts and making him offside so Hendo's last minute winner is ruled out? We'd be lucky to be 4 or 5 points clear based on last season's performances with this officiating.

Sorry, Ronnie, Im not unloading on you. Ive seen lads on here saying they are almost finished with the game. Probably like you, Ive been a seassie ticket holder for more years than I care to remember but even Im thinking when the club send out seassie renewals, should I bother because it's not 11 v 11 players any more, it's which dickhead is ref or on VAR and what fucking insane interpretation of the laws of the game are they going to use to decide the result on the day.

This madness has to stop else only the cheats and nobs will bother with football any more.

As I said, not unloading on you but the game I love is being killed by the lunatics in charge.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

All good points Ronnie. But I fear you're discounting the shitfest unfolding before our eyes as regards officiating of games.

Even if we were in last season's form this season, we wouldnt be running away with this league and Im not sure we'd hunt down any team either.

The officials aided and abetted by VAR, Mike fucking Riley's PGMOL, the PL and to a lesser extent FIFA \ IFAB, have completely fucked up the game I love. How can anyone in their right mind say that first goal against Villa is legit? Not suggesting for one minute you are by the way!

The game is supposed to be equitable for both sides, it should be 'fair.' Some will say life's not fair or fair is a word kids use. No, it's not. The rules of the game demand fairness for both sides. It's a basic tennant of the game and why teams are 11 a side, change ends at half time and why the ref is supposed to have no affiliation with either team etc.

That goal tonight is just criminal. An offside player has gained an unfair advantage by being yards offside allowed to run nearly 10 yards to the defender with the ball, blind side him, nick the ball off his toes and play a pass to a teammate leading to a goal.

Anyone in PGMOL, the PL or tv pundit saying that's legit is just talking shite. The defender playing an 'offside' player onside was never intended for that scenario, even more so now lino's are told to keep their flag down.

Offside was introduced to prevent that very situation of an attacker standing between the goal and last defender. With their absurd decision tonight, the officials have just overturned 100+ years of football history,

And that's why I think we'd struggle to retain the title even if we were as good as last season. Brighton last minute pen against us for that joke contact? Oliver saying Pickford should have been sent offbut they 'forgot' in the fog of the offside? One of Sadio pubes sticking out of his shorts and making him offside so Hendo's last minute winner is ruled out? We'd be lucky to be 4 or 5 points clear based on last season's performances with this officiating.

Sorry, Ronnie, Im not unloading on you. Ive seen lads on here saying they are almost finished with the game. Probably like you, Ive been a seassie ticket holder for more years than I care to remember but even Im thinking when the club send out seassie renewals, should I bother because it's not 11 v 11 players any more, it's which dickhead is ref or on VAR and what fucking insane interpretation of the laws of the game are they going to use to decide the result on the day.

This madness has to stop else only the cheats and nobs will bother with football any more.

As I said, not unloading on you but the game I love is being killed by the lunatics in charge.

This is exactly where I’m at. Whether by design or breathtaking incompetence, this season is a piss take. It’s a sad state of affairs when I’m more interested (concerned) in the selection of officials than I am in our team sheet.

I’ve decided not to watch tonight because I’ll just lose it again, watching Burnley kicking our boys all over the park and ending up with more free kicks than us. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree with all that Docker.

Everything that could go wrong this season has gone wrong. Everton and Brighton cost us four points and I've no doubt if I looked at all our games, there may be other decisions that cost us points. That's before watching a great team decimated by injuries and our rivals getting some outrageous decisions.

As DaveT says above, you can almost write the script for tonight. Burnley's honest British and Irish players kicking lumps out of us and us getting nothing. After the game, Des Kelly or whatever knobhead it is interviewing Jurgen hoping to get him to react and then Linekar and the other knobheads can make him out to be an arrogant German. Brexit Britain at it's best.

VAR could be brilliant for the game. I watch a bit of European football and it works well generally in their games. Not perfect but good on the whole. The problem here is that our officials are useless. I definitely think earlier in the season there was an effort to ensure that we don't walk the league and keep the red Mancs in the league. It's a real clusterfuck when you compare their experience at Brighton and ours.

My general point is that we are in the title race. We can't change what has happened because if we could we would be top of the league. We need to knuckle down and while I have sympathy for the team, I think no more than 5 or 6 of our team have consistently delivered this season. Mo's stats are great but his performances have often been poor. Sadio has been mediocre this season by his standards. Bobby has been non-existent in a lot of games. Trent has been poor since his return to the team. 4 top class players that have been very streaky.

I actually think we will win the league next season when we hopefully have a fully functioning defence and a bigger squad. Let's just give it our all this season because we can win it this year. We won't if we feel sorry for ourselves. 4 points is nothing over 18 games. We beat City it is 1 from them. We beat United at their place and we are ahead of them on goal difference. The next 6 weeks is going to decide if we win it because if we are within 4 points with so many tough games done, we are on the pig's back.

I would love if we got nasty and snide. Robbo snide by the way. Chase every decision and make life challenging for the officials. The Mancs do it to a tee like City do. Actually pretty much all teams. We need to come out of the blocks and tonight is a good time to start.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

If we acted like United did we would get red and yellow cards all over the place. Look at how many free kicks we give away compared to the opposition inspite of dominating the ball.

We'd see a swift and very isolated return of the 'respect' campaign, which originally lasted as long as it took to send Mascherano off at Old Trafford.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If we acted like United did we would get red and yellow cards all over the place. Look at how many free kicks we give away compared to the opposition inspite of dominating the ball.

Exactly this. I know a lot of people even respected posters think we just need to be more snidey and we'd get an avalanche of decisions for us and fewer shit ones against.

Personally, I dont think that's the case at all and we'll just get more yellows and red cards against us with inevitable suspensions. You've only got to look at the fouls we supposedly give out to our share of play and compare that to oppos. we get kicked around the park by some team and the ref waves play on most of the time. We fart on an oppo and he goes down, free kick to them.

It would be interesting to see where on the pitch the majority of free kicks are given to us and the oppos.

• Upvote 1

If we started being snide, chasing refs , being in officials faces you could guarantee it would be highlighted on Twatter, Sly Sports and MOTD would do a little montage with Shearer , Murphy and Jeans adding their shitty input.
In much the same way when we occasionally get a pen 

• Upvote 2

I just love the way, all of a sudden, people are experts in the offside rule and that man City goal last night was perfectly valid and always been the case. Fucking morons.

I hate the tribalism in this country with footy. No one is honest anymore, as long as their team benefits, sod the rest. That incident last night may be a watershed moment.

I think Jurgen should try it tonight and lets see how long these "rules that were always there" hold up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I just love the way, all of a sudden, people are experts in the offside rule and that man City goal last night was perfectly valid and always been the case. Fucking morons.

I hate the tribalism in this country with footy. No one is honest anymore, as long as their team benefits, sod the rest. That incident last night may be a watershed moment.

I think Jurgen should try it tonight and lets see how long these "rules that were always there" hold up.

I've said for a long time that there's no such thing as impartiality in football. Every commentator, pundit, whoever, sees the game through the prism of their own loyalties and prejudices. Unfortunately, most of our referees also now seem to be prey to this frailty. 

I've just watched Mr Dermot struggle to justify the City decision last night on technical grounds, whilst admitting that it was morally the wrong call. It was wrong on both counts to anyone with half a brain, frankly.

After this, Tierney's early whistle, United scoring after the ball was two foot out of play, not to mention a stack of other decisions, I'm in no doubt whatsoever that there's shady work afoot.

For that reason, I'm out.

• Upvote 1

I've got no idea whether it's an anti-Liverpool conspiracy, a pro-Manc conspiracy or whatever but I really don't think there's any remorse from the Premier League for the state of decision making in games at the moment. There've been 9 different teams top of the league this season and there's 8 points separating the top 7 at the end of January. The Story Of The Season is going to be how competitive and amazing the PL is (Anyone Can Beat Anyone), and the fact there've been some dodgy decisions just adds to the OOH CONTROVERSY ALERT narrative. In years to come Tyler will be talking about "the famously open 2020-21 season" on comms ad fucking nauseam. The PL probably piss themselves when someone benefits from a dodgy decision and Twitter just descends into loads of stills being shared and smug mancs going "cry more". Hype, hype and more hype, they couldn't give a shit about anything else.

I think someone has said on here before (apologies, I can't remember who): the PL aren't arsed about what's right - the established fanbase will probably all continue to tune in anyway: we grumble about it but we're addicts and will keep coming back. Making it controversial and (as a result artificially) competitive might bring in a new breed of fan though - hooked on the drama and the confrontation of it all, and guarantees a level of hype which keeps it front and centre. We're a few notches away from WWE and it's fucking shit.

• Upvote 4