You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

They way I see it, the 'deliberate play' was brought in for times when defenders deliberately play it back to the keeper, not this.

Happened a couple of seasons ago when we played spurs. Through ball flicked off Lovren on its way through to an offside Kane, who then threw himself over Karius for the penalty. In no way was Lovren's touch an intentional play, but then, they like to make it up as they go along.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

They way I see it, the 'deliberate play' was brought in for times when defenders deliberately play it back to the keeper, not this.

Happened a couple of seasons ago when we played spurs. Through ball flicked off Lovren on its way through to an offside Kane, who then threw himself over Karius for the penalty. In no way was Lovren's touch an intentional play, but then, they like to make it up as they go along.

That was Fat Jon Moss as well wasn't it?

• Upvote 1

I've been saying this for a couple of years now but Football was absolutely fine the way it was a few years ago (on the park). They have truly fucked it messing about with the offside rule, the handball rule & now this VAR bollocks.

Another bugbear of mine is the new kick off, that needs fucked off as well.

Regardless of all that, the title is City's to lose now & I can see them walking it unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

They actually changed the rules to say if the player goes for the ball when he’s offside then he’s off.  He doesn’t have to touch it any more.  That cunt literally runs straight for the ball.  Mings even takes his eyes off the ball for a second to see where he is which probably plays a part in his miscontrol.  The mental gymnastics they go through to justify this nonsense is laughable.  The problem is that I reckon about 90% of refs give the offside there.  It takes one fat knobhead to not give it and then it sets the precedent because the rules aren’t clear to stop nonsense like that happening.  That’s now the rule going forward because the knobhead referees come out and defend it.  Had they given offside and been asked to explain it then they’d be saying that was the right call instead.  It’s genuinely game ruining and should be getting called out straight away.  You’ve then got McManaman and the other knobheads in the studio agreeing with it.

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

Has there ever been a worse decision than that? 

Didnt they give Spurs a goal at Anfield when Kane was offside at the moment the ball was kicked but because Degsy tried to clear it, said Kane way played onside? So the defender is expected to gamble on shit refs and \ or VAR giving offside after the ball's in the net and not go for the ball?

The officials cant have it both ways that they expect defenders to play to the whistle when linos keep the flag down for offside but then say if the defender has 'tried to play the ball' that nullifies any offside.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I've been saying this for a couple of years now but Football was absolutely fine the way it was a few years ago (on the park). They have truly fucked it messing about with the offside rule, the handball rule & now this VAR bollocks.

Regardless of all that, the title is City's to lose now & I can see them walking it unfortunately.

With VAR on their side that would seem to be a possibility. Meanwhile, Lookman scores for Fulham. 

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Didnt they give Spurs a goal at Anfield when Kane was offside at the moment the ball was kicked but because Degsy tried to clear it, said Kane way played onside? So the defender is expected to gamble on shit refs and \ or VAR giving offside after the ball's in the net and not go for the ball?

The officials cant have it both ways that they expect defenders to play to the whistle when linos keep the flag down for offside but then say if the defender has 'tried to play the ball' that nullifies any offside.

I think they did mate. Well, according to the post 4 above yours anyway.

14 minutes ago, Mook said:

Yep, City will piss this league

It seems it's a double jeopardy for defenders now, isnt it? Heads the striker wins, tails the defender loses.

With linos being told not to flag offsides and let VAR decide, even for players miles offside, a defender is fucked if he goes for the ball and gets a touch putting the offside player onside or, just let's the ball go and risk an attacking player who IS onside nip past the defenders and plant the ball in the net.

13 minutes ago, The Guest said:

They actually changed the rules to say if the player goes for the ball when he’s offside then he’s off.  He doesn’t have to touch it any more.  That cunt literally runs straight for the ball.  Mings even takes his eyes off the ball for a second to see where he is which probably plays a part in his miscontrol.  The mental gymnastics they go through to justify this nonsense is laughable.  The problem is that I reckon about 90% of refs give the offside there.  It takes one fat knobhead to not give it and then it sets the precedent because the rules aren’t clear to stop nonsense like that happening.  That’s now the rule going forward because the knobhead referees come out and defend it.  Had they given offside and been asked to explain it then they’d be saying that was the right call instead.  It’s genuinely game ruining and should be getting called out straight away.  You’ve then got McManaman and the other knobheads in the studio agreeing with it.

Doubt you'll see this rule practised in any high profile games for a while. I think this is the first time I've seen it used this way since the Lovren/Kane incident, and I watch a LOT of footie...

Really couldn't give a fuck anymore. I've seen us win the league again, become champions of europe and thr way football is now has turned me right off it. 

You no longer get that moment of joy when scoring a goal as you know they are looking for Nything to scrub it off. Handball and offside is a complete shambles. 

• Upvote 1