You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

11 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

Thankfuck we won the title last season or this season would a nightmare. As it is we are in a good posiion to fight for title with 21 games to go and our rivals beating each other.Get a defender and Jota back we can defend our title.

I see a flaw in your optimism.

I think our front 3 putting more of their chances away will have a far bigger impact than getting any old defender in.

In the league, since we beat Wolves 4 nil, we've scored 1 against Fulham, 2 against spurs, 1 against West Brom, and none against Newcastle and Southampton. The 7 at Palace looks a massive outlier right now.

I can’t get as pissed off as normal about city scoring.  We aren’t winning the league and I’d rather they win it than United.  Top 4 is going to be a tough ask with no centre back coming in,  there’s absolutely no way Fabinho is lasting until the end of the season with no injuries.  When that happens regardless of any turnaround in form we will capitulate.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think our front 3 putting more of their chances away will have a far bigger impact than getting any old defender in.

In the league, since we beat Wolves 4 nil, we've scored 1 against Fulham, 2 against spurs, 1 against West Brom, and none against Newcastle and Southampton. The 7 at Palace looks a massive outlier right now.

I don't think it is as simple as putting more of our chances away....we just aren't creating many (well not clear ones) and the ones we are not as big/we are forcing them and they are no problem for keeper/sailing wide etc.

Our front 3 are not receiving as much of the ball in really threatening areas as they did when we were flying and at full strength and they certainly aren't receiving it in lots of space often enough.

There is at present a real lack of creativity behind them too....hopefully Thiago can help fix that....there is also less control in midfield to set us firm to build on and pen teams in/service the front 3 better....it can all be traced back to our problems at centre half and the knock on effect it has had on our structure/our line ups....our passing when we play out is less ambitious, taking too many touches, going sideways, back, taking safe option, nobody is pinging those big diagonals that stretch teams, nobody is carrying it into middle of park like that big magnificent bastard Virgil did....pushing us up and opponents back and us getting more threatening ball in more threatening areas.

And we shouldn't be looking to get 'any old defender' in - we should be aggressively getting in Virgil Van Dijks long term partner/successor - or at the very least if that isn't on now then a good solid centre half with some pace who can do a job as Fabinho's partner playing every week until end of season and maybe be 3rd/4th choice next season/add depth.....VVD, new marquee centre half, Gomez and that lad for example next season.

Sad and a pisser like but we steer clear of injuries (yeah I know it’s part and parcel of football blah blah ) this season and I honestly think we’d be that far ahead Rio, the bitters and co would be squealing for null and void .

Still better this season it happened than last ...