You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

Just had some knobhead Marine shareholder kicking off on me on Twatter about my figures for the amount Marine earned from their tie against Tottenham.

I said I wasn't even a fan but bought a virtual ticket to which he replied "so did i" - I'd fully expect him to if he's a shareholder. Strange bunch at that club.

Premier League announce Spurs game against villa now swapped to be Fulham instead and played on wednesday. Fulham due to play chelsea on saturday.

Fulham have been irritated by the Premier League’s decision to re-arrange their postponed fixture against Tottenham for Wednesday after Jose Mourinho side’s clash against Aston Villa was called off.

The Premier League were exploring the possibility of Fulham facing Spurs instead of Villa on Wednesday as they try to avoid a fixture backlog later in the season, and confirmation came at lunchtime on Monday.  

But Sportsmail understands Fulham have been left deeply frustrated with the attempts to shoehorn in a game at short notice.

To ease their own fixture pile-up, Scott Parker's men will now face Chelsea at 5.30pm on Saturday. They were originally scheduled to kick-off at 8pm on Friday evening - just 48 hours after the Spurs clash - which kicks off at 8.15pm and is will be live on Amazon Prime.

The Stamford Bridge club have reluctantly agreed to delaying the west London derby by 24 hours by playing on a Saturday, a move that gives Scott Parker’s men extra recovery time.

A statement from the Premier League read: 'Following Aston Villa's request to rearrange the fixture, and due to the number of players and staff who have either tested positive for COVID-19 or have been placed in isolation by the club, the Premier League had no other option than to reschedule the match.

'With the health of players and staff the priority, the League continues to work with Aston Villa on measures to ensure their League season resumes safely and at the earliest opportunity.

'The Premier League wishes those with COVID-19 a full and swift recovery and will rearrange Aston Villa's match against Spurs as soon as possible.'

Nevertheless, the proposals, in particular the timing, have angered Fulham.

Parker’s team played QPR in the FA Cup on Saturday, eventually winning 2-0 after extra time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9133535/Tottenham-play-Fulham-Wednesday-instead-Covid-hit-Aston-Villa.html

What is the point of rules if you just ignore them? Aston Villa have 14 fit players, I know this as I saw them score a goal on Friday. I can understand the Newcastle postponement, it was flagged a few days in advance and the was the first of its kind. The City postponement was unacceptable, they have half of the worlds best youngsters in their academy, make them use them. That stops Fulham calling a couple of games and makes Villa play the kids again. The precedent is set and everyone understands. 

I realise we're in a pandemic but City, Fulham and Villa have all had players publicly break Covid lockdown rules. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Is it still us devaluing the competition???

However, it was felt unfair to ask Villa to follow the same procedure in a Premier League game because it would affect the competitive balance of the competition.- BBC Website

That the Premier League said they had no other option but to reschedule is a joke, they had every option to tell Villa that they should do what they did in the FA Cup. If we're insistent on carrying with Elite sport, then everyone has to understand that if their players breach rules the club cannot request to postpone its fixtures, it ahs a duty of car to the competition, just like the players do to the club.

It seems that the Premier League have decided that fucking Fulham over and rearranging their game with 48 hrs notice is more palatable than fucking Villa over and telling them to fulfil a fixture that was already in the schedule  by playing the U-23's that they did in the Cup. They've known about Villa's situation for nearly a week now and have decided until after the weekend's fixtures to make the announcement.

1 hour ago, dandyman said:

Is it still us devaluing the competition???

However, it was felt unfair to ask Villa to follow the same procedure in a Premier League game because it would affect the competitive balance of the competition.- BBC Website

That the Premier League said they had no other option but to reschedule is a joke, they had every option to tell Villa that they should do what they did in the FA Cup. If we're insistent on carrying with Elite sport, then everyone has to understand that if their players breach rules the club cannot request to postpone its fixtures, it ahs a duty of car to the competition, just like the players do to the club.

It seems that the Premier League have decided that fucking Fulham over and rearranging their game with 48 hrs notice is more palatable than fucking Villa over and telling them to fulfil a fixture that was already in the schedule  by playing the U-23's that they did in the Cup. They've known about Villa's situation for nearly a week now and have decided until after the weekend's fixtures to make the announcement.

Fulham are one the clubs that don't have their house in order so fuck them. Mitrovic was one of the players caught breaking rules over Christmas. Actually so where spurs so fuck them too. The PL should make all the teams play the postponed games at the same time. So Villa have to play Newcastle and Spurs at the same time, Spurs also have to play Fulham on the same pitch and Burnley are there too kicking lumps out of Fulham. Lee Mason is to ref and David Cootes is on VAR. City Will need to play Everton at the same time, it will be like a Royal rumble. The team that had the covid outbreaks will need to play in blindfolds. 

Don't see how the Euros is possible seeing as it is being played in about 8 different countries. 

One team would have a game in Rome then have to fly somewhere like Baku or Munich. How could that be possible with isolation periods or governments trying to contain the virus?

If it was moved to one country then maybe but even then the country might have a tier system in place.

27 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Don't see how the Euros is possible seeing as it is being played in about 8 different countries. 

One team would have a game in Rome then have to fly somewhere like Baku or Munich. How could that be possible with isolation periods or governments trying to contain the virus?

If it was moved to one country then maybe but even then the country might have a tier system in place.

Personally I would be banning all non domestic football. 

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

If the Euros wasn’t postponed till this summer I could see a postponement happening.

in fact the Euros should just be fucked off altogether. 

Agreed. Cancel the euros, and postpone the league games until VVD is back the vaccines are rolled out, then things will be better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

The multi country format couldn't have come at a worse time! The usual format would have been miles better. 

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

The multi country format couldn't have come at a worse time! The usual format would have been miles better. 

I think that will be the only way it could happen now. You then have to select a country with enough infrastructure to hold it and isn't riddled with the virus or willing to accept a load of teams and staff who could spread it from their country. 

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

The thing with enforcing the teams to play is you just know it will affect us negatively.

For example we'll end up with City or Utd playing a team of kids (like Villa the other night) and getting easy three points and they're all back up to strength when we play them.

The whole is starting to become a bit farcical now. Fulham have now got a game against Spurs at 48 hours notice.