You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Why? You know full well Bruce would rather surrender 3 points and save his players for when they can put in a lung bursting performance against us. That St maxim is supposed to be unavailable due to 'long covid.' What's the betting he faces us on the 30th?

He's not even back in training yet, so I doubt he will be back from our game.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Why? You know full well Bruce would rather surrender 3 points and save his players for when they can put in a lung bursting performance against us. That St maxim is supposed to be unavailable due to 'long covid.' What's the betting he faces us on the 30th?

You deluded meff

• Upvote 1

We did the same with Solanke. Promising players at England youth level, but absolutely zero proof that they would cut it in the top flight.

Utterly bizarre that clubs trying desperately to stay in the division would hang their hat on (and hugely overpay in the process) players like that.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Every time I see Brewster play I cannot believe how much money we got for him.

I think Wilder knew they would go down so signed him in preparation for next season in the championship but having a season of Premier league football under his belt. 

Still stupid to pay that money. Shouldn't have cost more than £12m

46 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

We did the same with Solanke. Promising players at England youth level, but absolutely zero proof that they would cut it in the top flight.

Utterly bizarre that clubs trying desperately to stay in the division would hang their hat on (and hugely overpay in the process) players like that.

Clubs might think it's a good investment to pay 25m for a young English player with a bit of pedigree because if they have a couple good games, their value would go through the roof. Maybe it pays off sometimes, but it sounds like a crazy strategy when you consider that someone like Solanke was already not good enough for Liverpool, so how would anyone expect him to suddenly become excellent for Bournemouth?

It's a weird risk-reward thing that surely rarely pays off. You have to get in even earlier on players for it to be worth it. Like Calvert-Lewin from Sheff U for a minimal fee or Gomez from Charlton. Not Brewster whose fee is inflated because he played for Liverpool a bit. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Its even more weird because they are mediocre as hell. If we don't walk this title looking at the utter dogshit in contention it would be truly shocking.

The freak injuries to our to quickest CB's will be the main reason if so happens. I still think we will handsomely.

11 hours ago, bizzle10 said:

feel sorry for the lad looks lost out there and Edwards being a genius goes without saying

Same. I would say if there was a heat map of his positioning I would confidently predict he was never in opposition box bar for corners. They cannot get the ball to their forwards and he dropping deeper and deeper trying to make something happen in open play. I am hoping for a Solanke type renaissance.

1 hour ago, clockspeed said:

Same. I would say if there was a heat map of his positioning I would confidently predict he was never in opposition box bar for corners. They cannot get the ball to their forwards and he dropping deeper and deeper trying to make something happen in open play. I am hoping for a Solanke type renaissance.

He'd have been better off going back to Swansea and helping them get back up! Steve Cooper knows him from when he coached our young lads, he'd get the best out of him and he may then be ready for the Prem. I think a season in the Championship is doing Solanke the world of good!

8 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Its even more weird because they are mediocre as hell. If we don't walk this title looking at the utter dogshit in contention it would be truly shocking.

It’s an odd enough season that we probably won’t completely walk it, but yeah, it’s one we should really be winning. 
As @lebron says, the centre half thing is a bit of a worry, as great as Matip and Fabinho are when available. 

4 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Just seen Burnley's ruled out goal. So now keepers are getting fouls for fouling players?

Referees are fucking shit.

Shocking mistake by the ref. Not just the decision to give a foul but blowing the whistle and not using VAR to have a look . Just plain incompetence 

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

Shocking mistake by the ref. Not just the decision to give a foul but blowing the whistle and not using VAR to have a look . Just plain incompetence 

Yep shocking refereeing, Ben Mee jumps up, keeper charges out and knees him in the back.   Keeper gets the free kick.