You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

27 minutes ago, an tha said:

Every week they hammer another nail in the games coffin.

The clubs need to get together as one and tell these useless bastards they've had enough of this now.

But if the TV stations/football authorities think this is the type of armchair entertainment people want, the clubs are going to do fuck-all.

A neutral watching this shit on TV probably thinks it's great fun.

It needs to come from spectators, I think - and currently there aren't any... so when/if they're allowed back, are they going to stay away from games in protest at VAR making football shit?

Because if they don't, and people keep watching this shit on TV and advertisers keep paying... clubs, I fear, will do nothing.

On that pessimistic basis, Klopp might well want to reconsider his quixotic stance lately... or at least, I hope he's also leaning on and ranting at those who are the real nub of the problem:  eg. like, people in charge of his own club who sign and receive the cheques.

I know his hobby horse is 12.30 kick-offs mainly, but the good of football, what's good for football, is all one big thing really.

And as long as money keeps talking loudest, that will be that.

Until VAR becomes bad for business, it's here to stay.

26 minutes ago, skaro said:

But if the TV stations/football authorities think this is the type of armchair entertainment people want, the clubs are going to do fuck-all.

It needs to come from spectators, I think - and currently there aren't any... so when/if they're allowed back, are they going to stay away from games in protest at VAR making football shit?

Because if they don't, and people keep watching this shit on TV and advertisers keep paying... clubs, I fear, will do nothing.

On that pessimistic basis, Klopp might well want to reconsider his quixotic stance lately... or at least, I hope he's also leaning on and ranting at those who are the real nub of the problem:  eg. like, people in charge of his own club who sign and receive the cheques.

I know his hobby horse is 12.30 kick-offs mainly, but the good of football, what's good for football, is all one big thing really.

I make you right, sadly.

• Like 1

Sounds like Newcastle have a big Covid problem and the entire squad is isolating. The FA are planning to reschedule Newcastle's next game. How nice for them. Didn't remember the pricks in charge being so sympathetic to us when we had a few covid infections going around. Newcastle should be forced to field a covid-free team even if they're from the youth team otherwise forfeit the match.

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Sounds like Newcastle have a big Covid problem and the entire squad is isolating. The FA are planning to reschedule Newcastle's next game. How nice for them. Didn't remember the pricks in charge being so sympathetic to us when we had a few covid infections going around. Newcastle should be forced to field a covid-free team even if they're from the youth team otherwise forfeit the match.

They looked like they were all suffering from AIDS against Chelsea last week...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, skaro said:

To be honest, Klopp complaining to the broadcasters who fund his and his players' obscene wages is pretty ludicrous.

He can of course make good arguments for player welfare. But others can make stronger arguments against player (and management) renumeration.

14 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

To be honest, Klopp complaining to the broadcasters who fund his and his players' obscene wages is pretty ludicrous.

He can of course make good arguments for player welfare. But others can make stronger arguments against player (and management) renumeration.

Totally agree, Jo.

9 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

We play on Wednesday night 3 times in the CL group stages. His ask is they not stick us on a Saturday morning kick off on any of these 3 slots. Not a big ask imo, ourselves and Utd play different nights in the CL so worst case scenario for them is one of the big 2 are removed from their options 3 times.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Catcherintherye is always my go to person.

Back of a fag packet I have it as 0.8% so less than 1 percent likelihood, though I suppose each year is 30.1% so while entirely possible next year it would be extremely unlucky for it to happen again.

• Upvote 1

You couldn't make it up territory........ Ole has just rationalised the Cavani tweet - 'he's only just in the country and in Uruguay, it's used differently' (or words to that effect). Overlooking the fact that Cavani has been playing in Europe for the last THIRTEEN years and that the guy he's been playing alongside in the national team for a decade got hammered for using the same word (presumably it never once came up in conversation on all thise trips back to Uruguay?!).

It's going to be really interesting to see what the FA does with this.

45 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's disingenuous to say the Cavani and Suarez situations are similar, but it would be quite funny to see the FA suspend him.

You're wrong, one plays for United and will face the befitting non-consequential consequences. The other didn't play for United and was forever defamed on the back of repeatedly changed testimony and no substantive evidence.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Em City said:

You're wrong, one plays for United and will face the befitting non-consequential consequences. The other didn't play for United and was forever defamed on the back of repeatedly changed testimony and no substantive evidence.

I'm more talking about the fact that Cavani put the word on an Instagram Story, on a post to his buddy, whereas Suarez said it to a black, Senegalese, French guy during the heat of a game. Context is a lot different.

Newcastle seeking postponement w/ 5 players (currently) out from covid. I assume we'll also be seeking postponement of our games then with far more injury absences. V dangerous precedent. The rules are clear.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Newcastle seeking postponement w/ 5 players (currently) out from covid. I assume we'll also be seeking postponement of our games then with far more injury absences. V dangerous precedent. The rules are clear.

Wasn't it a Steve Bruce side who did that years back and got deducted points? or am I thinking of when he took his team off the pitch.... 

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

In my opinion, it’s tough shit. They should have to play. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Wasn't it a Steve Bruce side who did that years back and got deducted points? or am I thinking of when he took his team off the pitch.... 

Bryan Robson. ‘Boro at Blackburn.

Bruce threw a hissy fit as Sheff Utd manager at Arsenal & took his players off.

34 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

In my opinion, it’s tough shit. They should have to play. 

Yes. PL rules were made very clear re: squad availability for games to go ahead. Unless Newcastle prove they have less players available than those rules it should go on. I think between marginal VAR decisions & injuries we've been fucked over more this season than any team in recent memory.