You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

17 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Good to see Conor Coady score last night, took it well. 

I remember his Dad from Litherland round our way, I was just looking at a picture of The Litherland Hotel footy team with him and an old school mate in there

There was another Gary Williams who played in the Brighton vMan Utd final, also goal of the season for Brighton against Notts Forest who were European Champions I think, seen it on YouTube MOFTD and Clough saying it was lucky or something as full backs dont score like that, he beat Shilton from about 25 yards. 

Coady's cousin works in our place and she's absolutely made up with his goal and the armband. 

Seems like a good lad

17 hours ago, Trumo said:

It already annoys me that practically all of our games seem to be on Sky anyway. I haven't bothered with streaming for a couple of years now, so unless I watched our Sky games at the pub or someone's house, I didn't watch the game. That's been more the case since the original lockdown, because things still haven't opened up enough here compared to elsewhere in the country. The derby game when football re-started was also shown on Sky Pick (which I have as part of my Virgin Media set-up) for free, and the Chelsea game with the trophy lift was available to me too but other than that, I've only watched us play Burnley. I've not seen us live at all this season as of yet. The upcoming derby is on BT Sport so I'll be watching that, plus the CL games.

Charging £15 a pop is ridiculous, and the TV companies are trying to say that it's a way for the clubs to generate revenue when they aren't getting any gate money. No, it's a way for the rights holders to make money. The clubs will see a very small amount of it, and almost none of it will trickle down the pyramid to where the money is so desperately needed.

I am the opposite where I have Sky but not BT , you will at least get all of the European games. Normally I would nip to the pub for any interesting ones but I suspect Mondays North West restrictions announcement will put the kibosh on that. May have to go old school on Radio 5 Live.

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Coady's cousin works in our place and she's absolutely made up with his goal and the armband. 

Seems like a good lad

I think his Dad Andy lives in Wigan now, a good local footy player himself, his Mum is on this Litherland FB forum I'm on and we were talking well texting about those days, yes got the armband too, though I'm not really into internationals, World Cup aside, it's good to see plus every player wants to represent his country as in any other sport

We had a few lads round our way who played at a good level, I just wish I'd of kept up my interest after school though I think the freezing cold and mud of Buckley Hill put me off a bit preferring the warmth of something else as the hormones go wild. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I think the freezing cold and mud of Buckley Hill put me off a bit preferring the warmth of something else as the hormones go wild. 

Spent a lot of my childhood freezing on Buckley Hill watching my uncles playing in the Bootle JOC and then spending a couple of hours eating chips and having a shootie with my cousin outside the Eden Vale. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Spent a lot of my childhood freezing on Buckley Hill watching my uncles playing in the Bootle JOC and then spending a couple of hours eating chips and having a shootie with my cousin outside the Eden Vale. 

Yes, freezing and windy. 

I think the Eden Vale is still going, not a pub I used, maybe a couple of times. Ford Celtic B. Our Jimmy played in the Bootle JOC, my uncle, can't. remember who for. 

4 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Yes, freezing and windy. 

I think the Eden Vale is still going, not a pub I used, maybe a couple of times. Ford Celtic B. Our Jimmy played in the Bootle JOC, my uncle, can't. remember who for. 

Not a pub I have ever drank in myself, I think a few of the other players were from Dodge and it was their local. My uncles were all from Skem and the day used to finish with 7 of us piling into a decrepit vauxhall viva driven by one of them at least 5 or 6 pints in. Social services would be involved these days, snowflakes !!

22 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not a pub I have ever drank in myself, I think a few of the other players were from Dodge and it was their local. My uncles were all from Skem and the day used to finish with 7 of us piling into a decrepit vauxhall viva driven by one of them at least 5 or 6 pints in. Social services would be involved these days, snowflakes !!

Haha yeah. Dodge was just around the corner? I lived on Orrell Rd opposite St Wifreds, so the ralla was the highway down to Linacre Rd  but the other way we had to dodge the Dodge on our way to bunk in to the National, just past the Chicken Factory, never off it. 

Incidentally Alvin Martin went to St Wilfreds, not sure if it was the same time as Gary Williams I mentioned earlier who played for Brighton. 

I did know a couple of lads from Dodge though can't remember, I think one lived above the shops on the main road. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Do Wales or Ireland have any good players? Looks like a League two game this.

Crazy how bad some of these teams have got. Ireland used to always have a few cracking players, Scotland had loads, Wales always had a few belting players, Northern Ireland churned out a few class players too. Then countries like Bulgaria, Romania and the Czechs and Slovakians. All mediocre as fuck these days.

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Crazy how bad some of these teams have got. Ireland used to always have a few cracking players, Scotland had loads, Wales always had a few belting players, Northern Ireland churned out a few class players too. Then countries like Bulgaria, Romania and the Czechs and Slovakians. All mediocre as fuck these days.

I suppose most of those countries used to have better domestic leagues due to a less unequal share of money in the game. Now any half decent Bulgarian will be taken from Levski Sofia when they're 17, and spend six years on Lazio's bench and/or have various utterly pointless loan deals. 

Loads of international teams are full of players having to play in lower leagues (in strong football nations) or not playing at all. 30, 40 years ago these international sides would have several players often playing together at a handful of clubs. 

The problem is maybe slightly different for the British teams. Their problem is often a complete reluctance for players to play their club football abroad. Welsh, Scottish and Irish players playing in League One or for shit Championship sides. Hardly surprising when their national teams look like lower league teams.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I suppose most of those countries used to have better domestic leagues due to a less unequal share of money in the game. Now any half decent Bulgarian will be taken from Levski Sofia when they're 17, and spend six years on Lazio's bench and/or have various utterly pointless loan deals. 

Loads of international teams are full of players having to play in lower leagues (in strong football nations) or not playing at all. 30, 40 years ago these international sides would have several players often playing together at a handful of clubs. 

The problem is maybe slightly different for the British teams. Their problem is often a complete reluctance for players to play their club football abroad. Welsh, Scottish and Irish players playing in League One or for shit Championship sides. Hardly surprising when their national teams look like lower league teams.

Yeah fair points on the central european countries. The Scottish league used to be very decent now it's tragically bad. It's a bit different with say the two Irelands or Wales who never had a good national league.

Those countries are completely linked in with the English clubs. They would be far better going to say Holland but I could see how a top talent from Dublin or Belfast is going to be drawn to playing at Liverpool or United rather than say Groningen.

The riches in the top 5 leagues in Europe and the way Uefa have let the European Cup essentially become a super league for the richest clubs hasn't been kind to the Levskis or Steaus of this world. I miss the exotic quarter final in Bulgaria as opposed to the same games every year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah fair points on the central european countries. The Scottish league used to be very decent now it's tragically bad. It's a bit different with say the two Irelands or Wales who never had a good national league.

Those countries are completely linked in with the English clubs. They would be far better going to say Holland but I could see how a top talent from Dublin or Belfast is going to be drawn to playing at Liverpool or United rather than say Groningen.

The riches in the top 5 leagues in Europe and the way Uefa have let the European Cup essentially become a super league for the richest clubs hasn't been kind to the Levskis or Steaus of this world. I miss the exotic quarter final in Bulgaria as opposed to the same games every year.

Yes, agreed.

Although the option for most of these British and Irish lads isn't United/Liverpool or playing in Holland. It's playing for Doncaster/Swindon or playing in Holland.

Being a professional footballer, especially pre having a family when these lads are in their early and mid 20s (obviously upping sticks can be tougher after that), offers such a great opportunity for travel. And to become a better player. Imagine if by the age of 25 instead of bumbling around League One and the lower half of the Championship you'd spent a couple of years in Holland, Italy and Germany. You'd have a much deeper understanding of the game.