You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brewster: I want to be at Liverpool next season

TLW

Rhian Brewster has made his intentions known that he sees his long term future as a Liverpool player.

While some of their rivals are completing their European commitments from the 2019/20 season, the Reds are looking ahead as they started their pre-season camp in Austria.

With minutes at an absolute premium at the Reds, the club made a wise call to send the talented striker on loan to Swansea for the second half of the season and the youngster made the most of consistent playing time scoring 11 goals in 22 appearances at the Swans under his England youth international coach Steve Cooper.

There had been speculation whether the move would be extended into this season or even made permanent, but speaking at the camp Brewster stated what his main goal is per The Echo.

“Of course I want to be at Liverpool next season, be fighting for a spot to play. Who is not going to want to play at the home of the champions?

image.png

“Of course you're not really wanting to go on loan but if that's the best thing for me to do in that situation, so I'm going to get more gametime then that's what I'm going to do.

"But realistically, I want to play at Liverpool, I want to be 'the striker'."

With the inconsistent form of Divock Origi during the past season which has led to rumours linking him with an move away from the club, Brewster knows he has an ideal opportunity to stake his claim.

“I'm just going to go to Evian and work hard and do what I can. And whatever the boss says I need to do, I'm going to accept - whether I stay, whether I go back on loan."

If the loan option does arise again, Cooper says Swansea will be at the head of the queue for his services.

“If a loan is in Liverpool’s plans for Rhian again we want to be right in there for him.

"I know he’s loved already by the supporters and that’s mutual. He’s very well liked around the football club.

"He’s not just a good player – he’s a really good lad.

View full article

I think he's proven enough in that loan to keep him around for a season. I'd rather see him getting 1000 minutes in the league than Origi, for example.

Even if we sell Origi and bring in another striker, Brewster will get plenty of gametime. After the front 3 we have a few who can cover out wide (Ox, Minamino, Eliott) but no one who can really cover behind Firmino in the middle other than Mane/Salah. There will be plenty of minutes for Brewster to show what he's capable of IMO.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think he's proven enough in that loan to keep him around for a season. I'd rather see him getting 1000 minutes in the league than Origi, for example.

Even if we sell Origi and bring in another striker, Brewster will get plenty of gametime. After the front 3 we have a few who can cover out wide (Ox, Minamino, Eliott) but no one who can really cover behind Firmino in the middle other than Mane/Salah. There will be plenty of minutes for Brewster to show what he's capable of IMO.

I think he will do another loan and I cannot see Origi going anywhere yet. Klopp is no fool and won't be throwing too many kids into the PL squad at once. Jones,Williams and ocassionally Elliott will be the youngsters getting PL cameos. Brewster will be better served getting minutes and hopefully goals in the Championship.

• Upvote 1

I think another loan would be the best thing for Brewster's development but with a recall if we need him. I like Brewster's attitude in that interview but a bit of me thinks, if he stays at Liverpool this season and doesnt get many run outs, would he start bellyaching about not getting a game and frustrations, etc?

For all his inconsistency, Origi has got a knack of scoring important goals so I'd be reluctant to get rid except for someone proven to be better. I'd send Brewster out on loan till January and see if he's still scoring then. 

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

Needs a season in the premiership with a lesser club.

I thought about that. The problem is though a team struggling in lower half will be less inclined to give him a chance if he doesn't score a lot of goals quickly. 

59 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

He can obviously score all kind of goals, I'd be interested to know what his chance conversion rate is. More like Owen or Origi? Difficult to tell from highlights packages.

Games 21 starts, 1 sub

Goals 11

Shots 46

Shots on target 25

Shots off target 21

Assists 1

Passes per game 17

Pass percentage  65%

Tackles per game 1

Fouls per game 2

Lads a great finisher but not sure that'll be enough for him with us. Doesn't seem the type to be happy as a sub to come on and nick goals. 

2 hours ago, aws said:

Would he get regular games at that level though? 

If at 20 he can't get regular games for one of the shitter teams in our league then we might as well bin him.

However, I think he would/should get games for any team outside the top eight. Bar Ings, the forwards at all those clubs are largely utter garbage. 

Only Wood (14) at Burnley, the two at Everton (13 each), and Pukki (11 - most of which he got in August) managed 11 goals or more in the league. Deeney and Maupay got 10 each. 

He must be able to get some regular football at a Premier League club. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

If at 20 he can't get regular games for one of the shitter teams in our league then we might as well bin him.

However, I think he would/should get games for any team outside the top eight. Bar Ings, the forwards at all those clubs are largely utter garbage. 

Only Wood (14) at Burnley, the two at Everton (13 each), and Pukki (11 - most of which he got in August) managed 11 goals or more in the league. Deeney and Maupay got 10 each. 

He must be able to get some regular football at a Premier League club. 

Exactly. If he's not good enough to get regular playing time at one of those clubs he's definitely not good enough to play for us.

He's done pretty well in the Championship, but not enough to play for a team challenging to win major trophies.

Give him a full season at Swansea, if he goes up another level and ends up being one of the top scorers in the league then he may have a chance here.

The problem we have is that Firmino is such a difficult player to replace in our team. 

10 hours ago, M_B said:

Possibly an unfair comparison, but Fowler and Owen were banging them in regularly for the first team at his age. He needs to get a full season with a Premier League club under his belt.

I feel most players who go on to be really top class do it by time they are 21 at the latest.

Can't think of many who hadn't and go on to be really top class....of course there will be some but surely they are the exception rather than rule.

Brewster has about a year before he is 21.

I looked at Harry Kane's career numbers as thought maybe he was a late starter and his big breakthrough season at Spurs came when he was 21 and turning 22 at end of it...he'd been relatively ordinary in Championship aged 18/19/20.

Brewster has missed a lot of football though hasn't he and that won't have helped - but can't help but feel if he isn't scoring goals in the PL in next 18 months then he probably isn't going to make it at a club like us.

I hate to say it but you look at that Greenwood at the mancs and he is doing it aged 18 in the PL....Rashford had 30 odd goals for them by time he was 21.

Even a player considered a good top flight player but not top class like Heskey had 30 goals for a top flight club by time he was 21, was scoring regularly enough aged 19 and 20 in PL.

Brewster needs a chance of course as he has not had one yet.. maybe a year with a PL club this coming season.

On 16/08/2020 at 14:36, Lee909 said:

I thought about that. The problem is though a team struggling in lower half will be less inclined to give him a chance if he doesn't score a lot of goals quickly. 

I don't think Danny Ings was running out of the blocks at Southampton. If he adds something to a team, he'll get games whether he's scoring or not.