You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Actors who do boss accents

Section_31

46 minutes ago, Moo said:

She's a right one, British in Britain American in America.  But I don't think it's necessary being fake, both accents are natural to her depending on who she's talking to.

Same with that John Barrowman, proper American or Canadian drawl but when you see him speaking to his Scottish parents he's like Rab C Nesbitt.   

Actually, I used to question both their integrity until I was watching a f**tba*l documentary recently and a daughter was talking to her dad (both initialled KD) and the "scouse" daughter very naturally developed a Scottish lilt.  No way would I question her integrity so the other two now get the benefit of the doubt.

What was the documentary?

3 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Maybe someone from the US could put me straight, but I always thought Hugh Laurie's accent in House was pretty good. Michael Sheen always catches the accent of the character he is playing (Brian Clough, David Frost etc.) perfectly.

I think Brits do a decent job of mild US accents because they mostly tend to stick to the softer northern accents and that helps a lot. It can go a bit,errm South when they try the Southern ones though. James Purefoy in Hap and Leonard is not the best.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm struggling to think of good accents, so am posting bad ones instead. 

If its bad ones you're after, its hard to go past Dick Van Dykes cockney in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

One the other hand, Old Etonian Dominic West did an impressive Baltimore accent in the Wire and the other Old Etonian Damian Lewis has portrayed several Americans (Band of Brothers, Homeland)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

If its bad ones you're after, its hard to go past Dick Van Dykes cockney in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

One the other hand, Old Etonian Dominic West did an impressive Baltimore accent in the Wire and the other Old Etonian Damian Lewis has portrayed several Americans (Band of Brothers, Homeland)

Like I said earlier,Brits are very good doing Yankee,Northern US accents and they don't tend to try to overdo it either. Aussie actors doing US accents also tend to do a decent job. When the roles are reversed however,cor blimey guv!

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Like I said earlier,Brits are very good doing Yankee,Northern US accents and they don't tend to try to overdo it either. Aussie actors doing US accents also tend to do a decent job. When the roles are reversed however,cor blimey guv!

Like Don Cheadle in the Ocean's... films. "Leave it aaaht!"

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

David Harewood in Homeland is yet another Brit who does a good job,as is the lead actor in Snowfall,Damson Idris.

Only watched Snowfall recently and didn’t realise Damson Idris was British. I’m even more shocked than I was after first hearing Idris Elba speak for the first time. Also after googling him I hadn’t realised that it was him in the Black Mirror episode ‘Smithereens’

Every day’s a school day.